Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Not updating. So many complaints of lagging for 6 & 6+ has put me off. Surprised older devices haven't complained about it also to be honest.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Is it because of a promise for a better battery life? Apple should take note of it if it's true.
And of course content blockers. :)

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Is there any year that goes by where their statistics don't surpass the ones from a year before?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Could you elaborate why? I'm just curious what issues you see with iOS 9 that I'm not aware of.

Maybe he's still stuck on OS X Snow Leopard which iTunes 12 doesn't support... Starting with iOS 9.1, it requires iTunes 12, so instead of being stuck at the buggy 9.0, might as well go back to 8.4.1...

Reactions: JosephAW

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Have to stay on iOS 8 because I can't run iTunes on my desktops and I'm not running Windows XP!
Not happy w apple

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple has announced that iOS 9 is the fastest adopted software update ever, with more than 50% of active devices running the latest version as measured by the App Store on September 19. Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller says that iOS 9 is on pace to be downloaded by more users than any other iOS version ever released.

Of course, as always, it's a halfway meaningless stat on older devices which don't get all the cool features.

90% of them did it for adblock ;)

I was excited until I found out that all my original iPad minis didn't get that feature in their iOS9 update. Neither did they get Siri enhancements, transit directions or multi-windows, apparently, among who knows what else.

But... Apple will brag that it's the "faster adopted update ever" anyway. Well, yeah, we were all figuring anythnig would be better than iOS 8. Unfortunately, it didn't even fix the Safari reload problem.

Reactions: AleXXXa

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I have to wait till El Capitan is released on the 30th before I can update. I don't want to loose my notes syncing between my iOS devices and Mac's.
I do have an iPad Mini 4 but signed in on a different Apple id for now to use till I can update all devices at the same time.
I don't think iOS 9 will talk to OS X 10.10.5 and don't want to chance it. Everything is too smooth right now to mess it up.
iOS 9 has been great. Can't wait to upgrade all.

You don't have to update the Notes format. I think if iOS 9, the current shipping version of iOS didn't talk to 10.10.5, the current shipping version of Mac OS X, Apple would have a huge problem on their hands...

Apple sayeth: "When you open Notes in iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan for the first time and select Upgrade Now, both your notes on your device and your notes on iCloud.com will upgrade. And if you sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on your other devices with iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan, any changes you make to a note on one device instantly appear on all your other devices.
The notes you created before your upgrade might look different, but you can immediately start using all of the new app features to customize and enhance them.
If you upgrade later, your notes will stay the same, and you can upgrade to the new features at any time. Just open Notes and select Upgrade."

Reactions: ron7624

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
So far no issues on my ipad air and iphone 5s. and adblockers are the best thing since sliced bread. Worth upgrading for that alone. Battery life is better too.
I think the fast pace of adoption is in large part due to Apple learning its lesson about space requirements for upgrading. This one is much easier on people with 16GB devices. This would not fully account for such a fast adoption rate however. I do find it curious that according to Apple the adoption rate hit 50% already on September 19 but various 3rd party tracking sites still show adoption rates in mid 30% in their tracking.

Important to note that they aren't calling it the fastest adoption rate, but most downloads.
yes, they are. the press release says 50% of deices as measured by the App store.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not updating. So many complaints of lagging for 6 & 6+ has put me off. Surprised older devices haven't complained about it also to be honest.
In not updating, either. I'm getting the 6SPlus in a few days so I may as well get the full new experience then rather than install it on a lame duck phone that never ran all that well to begin with.

I will update my iPad mini2 when I get the new phone.

But I will say that my husband has had no problems on his iPhone 6 Plus 128. His phone was started fresh last year. He did not do a restore from backup and I think that's possibly why he's enjoyed relatively trouble free use compared to me over the past year. I think whether or not you experience trouble with the upgrade will depend on how your device is set up and what you've been running on it and how it's been performing for you overall. Mine started acting a little bit possessed by gremlins a few months into owning it. Stripping off some outdated apps helped a little.

chitoac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
Maybe he's still stuck on OS X Snow Leopard which iTunes 12 doesn't support... Starting with iOS 9.1, it requires iTunes 12, so instead of being stuck at the buggy 9.0, might as well go back to 8.4.1...
Have to stay on iOS 8 because I can't run iTunes on my desktops and I'm not running Windows XP!
Not happy w apple
dont need itunes to update, just 1 gb free space

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
You don't have to update the Notes format. I think if iOS 9, the current shipping version of iOS didn't talk to 10.10.5, the current shipping version of Mac OS X, Apple would have a huge problem on their hands...

Apple sayeth: "When you open Notes in iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan for the first time and select Upgrade Now, both your notes on your device and your notes on iCloud.com will upgrade. And if you sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on your other devices with iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan, any changes you make to a note on one device instantly appear on all your other devices.
The notes you created before your upgrade might look different, but you can immediately start using all of the new app features to customize and enhance them.
If you upgrade later, your notes will stay the same, and you can upgrade to the new features at any time. Just open Notes and select Upgrade."
very good! I have been looking for that info but haven't found it. I was a beta tester and of course was using the updated notes app and things didn't carry over. Okay, so I'll back up my stuff and give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

No lag on the iPhone 6, iPad Air, or iPad Mini 2 in my household. If anything, there is less lag than iOS 8 (and there was rarely any in iOS 8).

There is a bug in Pages on the iPhone when in landscape mode - the magnification circle isn't rotated, which makes it really hard pinpoint where you want to go in text. Other than that, I haven't noticed any issues.

Reactions: Max(IT)

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the incessant message that a new iOS update is available popping up every time you wake your phone from sleep, would it?

Or that often the update cripples an older device forcing an upgrade in hardware by the user.

Reactions: JosephAW

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011

My iPhone 5 runs noticeably smoother and with markedly enhanced battery life with iOS 9.1 beta installed. It's almost hard to believe that it's a 3 years old phone. Actually in my experience, this is the first update since iOS 6 that seems to be undoubtedly better than the previous one in every terms.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
In not updating, either. I'm getting the 6SPlus in a few days so I may as well get the full new experience then rather than install it on a lame duck phone that never ran all that well to begin with.

Same here, specifically the bold part (my previous phone is still solid, but new iPhone + new iOS = Rainbows ~n~ Unicorns :D)

No lag on the iPhone 6, iPad Air, or iPad Mini 2 in my household. If anything, there is less lag than iOS 8 (and there was rarely any in iOS 8).

It's running fantastic on our Mini 2, my little G (7 years old) was showing me the floating video feature the other night :D

Reactions: 5105973 and dilap

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've still never seen any proactive benefits. No suggested apps in the app switcher even though I wake up at the same time every day and read my mail, no automatic music starting when I plug in headphones, and the suggested apps in Spotlight are just the apps I used most recently.

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
there is no lag lol , does reports are from android trolls

Your constant and baffling need to constantly undermine anyone who dares have issue with anything Apple does is only heightened by your constant desire to minimize obvious and apparent issues. Get out of this distortion field its troubling to see adults behave like this. To say io9 is trouble-free is preposterous. It shows me any lack of credibility for any comments you make.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Not everyone buys music from Apple... And they certainly need iTunes to sync it in...

You can of course use other music players.

I personally also use DS Audio - plays files straight from my NAS, and lets me save files for offline use. All wireless, at home or on mobile data.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I have iOS 9 and LOVE it...Proactive Siri features will really make my life easier. I installed it on my wife's phone and she HATES it...not because of anything really important but because she just doesn't like change...she even doesn't like the fact the system font is now San Francisco.
My wife won't leave her flip phone. LOL You made progress, your wife on a iPhone at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.