Apple Says Minor Screen Burn-In and Shifts in Color When Looking at iPhone X Off-Angle Are Normal

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this morning shared a new support document explaining how OLED displays work and that it is normal to see some screen burn-in over time and shifts in color when looking at the iPhone display from an off-angle.

According to Apple, when you look at an OLED display from a side angle, you may see shifts in color and hue, something that's a "characteristic of OLED" and "normal behavior."

[​IMG]

Apple says that with extended long-term use, OLED displays can show "slight visual changes," which is also considered normal. The iPhone X has been engineered to be the "best in industry" at reducing burn-in effects, but Apple's support document suggests burn-in is still a problem that some users could potentially see over time.
    With Apple referring to burn-in as normal behavior, it's not clear how this issue will be treated should it occur in terms of the one-year iPhone X warranty or extended AppleCare+ coverage. Typically, issues that Apple considers normal are not covered.

Apple's wording suggests screen burn-in is going to be a rare occurrence, but Apple does suggest users avoid displaying static images at maximum brightness for long periods of time. If there's an app that keeps the display on when the iPhone X is not in active use, the brightness level should be temporarily reduced using Control Center.

Making sure the iPhone X's display is set to go to sleep after a short period of time will also help prevent any burn-in issues, as it generally happens when the same image is on the display for a long time. Apple recommends setting Auto Lock to "a shorter time."

Article Link: Apple Says Minor Screen Burn-In and Shifts in Color When Looking at iPhone X Off-Angle Are Normal

2. AdamJD, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

AdamJD macrumors member

3. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

and I wondered why I waited to buy this.....bazinga

4. rpat701 macrumors regular

Can't certain images fix burn-in? I have a mode on my OLED TV that clears any burn-in or color changes on the panel. Not sure if they're the same types of OLED tech...

5. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Funny that they waited until after launch day sales were racked up before they tell us this

6. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

7. fs454 macrumors 68000

Reading this article on my X.

Peculiar how they waited until today to post this when all the other X documentation has been surfacing prior.

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Screen burn-in on a $1000+ toy. "Take my money!!"

/s

9. RianFlynn macrumors regular

RianFlynn

This would be good to know before ispent $1150 on a
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    *it

10. AdamJD macrumors member

You got this all wrong, Macrumors. It's actually a new feature from Apple just for iPhone users called iDejavu.

Supposedly, Samsung is the master of OLED. This shouldn't be a major issue. However, between the notch taken out of any widescreen viewing and potential burn-in issues, I'm starting to like the iPhone 8.

Side note: Brought my SE in to the Apple store. Launching apps was a split-second slower than the 8.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Now you have iPhone X early adopters that are analyzing every angle of their display for burn-in all weekend long and they can longer enjoy their phone because of what Apple said.

12. IG88 macrumors 6502

IG88

How funny. “Burn in is normal, nothing to see here.” That’s one way to deal with burn in I suppose...

13. levitynyc macrumors 65816

My PS Vita has an OLED screen and when it’s dark, there are darker areas that are noticeable.

Comes with the territory with OLEDs.

14. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Kind of odd. Maybe the Note 8 has a different kind of OLED screen? It has neither of these issues.

15. unobtainium macrumors 68020

To be fair, it's standard with any OLED screen. The iPhone X is no different in that regard from a Samsung or Pixel device. (In fact the Pixel uses LG displays and is much worse from what I've heard.)

16. cardfan macrumors 65816

Guess apple care is in order. Burn in not covered? Just drop it. There, now it's covered.

17. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

I guess it's a good thing all of you complaining about not knowing this are still under your two week return window. I know I'll continue to enjoy mine.

18. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Guess I'll be using the dynamic wallpapers. Although I'm not one to use the same wallpaper for a long time anyway.

19. meady100 macrumors member

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Color shift and possible burn-in should not be a surprise. No need to hate on Apple for stating the obvious about OLED.

21. Stetch macrumors newbie

Stetch

There is no secret that AMOLED has this "issue". Its well known.

22. dino12 macrumors member

I guess using maps for gps on a long trip will be bad for the display.

23. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Because it's nothing new? Samsung has bee using OLED panels which is the same type as Apple is using which is AMOLED ( even LG uses it even though they are calling it POLED). The AMOLED means it's an active matrix not some Samsung mumbo jumbo marketing speak. I've used plenty of Samsung devices in the past and based off my personal experience the displays have never burned in an image. I have seen store display models with burn in but as long as you use the phone normally which wouldn't display an image static for long you will be fine. As far as Apples ios goes I do hope they move the status bars on top though which I see as the only potential issues.

24. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Because they dont want to scare people from pre ordering the phones yet.

25. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Wow they missed that point during the keynote when touting the $1000+ device was the most amazing device ever! Now I see where the $279 screen replacement cost that was announced earlier comes from. Getting folks prepared for screenburngate that wont be a gate because its "normal".