Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The quote about later this year, is "expected", but doesn't seem to come from Apple. Is that just flexible editing by MR or can you guys quote apple on this?

Sounds like nonsense to me. I doubt we will see anything desktop this year by now, i hope i am wrong, but common now, based on the stuff in the pipeline there's no event where it matches except 3rd week of november.

This will probably be february 2018 for early imac update, and late 2018 for late mac pro update.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I am surprised to see negativity in THIS thread.
1) Hell froze over – Mac Pro got an update – I'm off skiing after posting this.
2) Apple finally made it clear that "we're very committed to Macintosh computers" doesn't mean "...so buy them now for their exorbitant prices because we're never going to update them"
3) They are rethinking Mac Pro to add exactly what people hoped for, and for once it looks like "rethinking" doesn't mean "the new one will be even smaller and we found something that wasn't soldered yet"
4) It looks like we're not going to have to switch to Windows in two years

What's there to complain about? Unseen designs? (Normally I'm the first to quip about "thinner", yes.) The fact that they broke their usual silence for the first time to say loudly and clearly that yes, new Macs are coming and we are actually working hard on them? Yes, I agree they should drop prices on current iMacs and get rid of the spinning drives, like, half a year ago. But that is unrelated to the interview.

Also it looks like they finally realised that people are switching to Windows. Yes, iMacs are pretty. Macbook is thin. That's not enough for a lot of people who are now talking about Dells, Alienwares and Hackintoshes. And today Apple finally said something more than "we have a pipeline". How is that a bad thing? I know he used the phrase "later in the year", but technically tomorrow is also later in the year. And I don't think he'd be essentially killing current models' sales if they were going to keep same prices and same specs until December 31.

The only people that I imagine being really upset are the ones waiting for new Mini. "Very impohtant, very impohtant, can we move along now".

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
§
We can all get excited about this, but it was obvious there were going to be new iMac's later this year? Sounds like they will make their usual limited availability slot of "November" if you ask me with broader availability in Q1 2018.
The question is then .. is there going to be a quick maintenance update in november, and proper good pro update with real hardware in 2018 february or march ? ..

these half wit guessing games we have to have with apple lately is a f waste of time .. like we have the option to wait sometimes. sigh.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
My 2011 iMac i7 is on its last legs, so I hope this happens soon. I can hold out for a couple more months but probably not after that....

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Considering that others are outright mocking this announcement and remembering what the recent MacBook upgrades entailed, I think skepticism is an appropriate response to this news until we know details.

Of course there are trollers and Apple bashers who will mock everything, that's the point. Of course they mocked the MBP, but look how foolish they look now with the great sales, and more upgrades coming. When there are such great, though imperfect, products available and you hear exciting news about new modular Macs, new displays, etc., etc., and your knee jerk reaction is too be negative, all I suggest is that you examine your outlook. Life is good. Apple is spending over 12 billion dollars a year on just R & D to make it even easier for you.:)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I am surprised to see negativity in THIS thread.
1) Hell froze over – Mac Pro got an update – I'm off skiing after posting this.
2) Apple finally made it clear that "we're very committed to Macintosh computers" doesn't mean "...so buy them now for their exorbitant prices because we're never going to update them"
3) They are rethinking Mac Pro to add exactly what people hoped for, and for once it looks like "rethinking" doesn't mean "the new one will be even smaller and we found something that wasn't soldered yet"
4) It looks like we're not going to have to switch to Windows in two years

What's there to complain about? Unseen designs? (Normally I'm the first to quip about "thinner", yes.) The fact that they broke their usual silence for the first time to say loudly and clearly that yes, new Macs are coming and we are actually working hard on them? Yes, I agree they should drop prices on current iMacs and get rid of the spinning drives, like, half a year ago. But that is unrelated to the interview.

Also it looks like they finally realised that people are switching to Windows. Yes, iMacs are pretty. Macbook is thin. That's not enough for a lot of people who are now talking about Dells, Alienwares and Hackintoshes. And today Apple finally said something more than "we have a pipeline". How is that a bad thing? I know he used the phrase "later in the year", but technically tomorrow is also later in the year. And I don't think he'd be essentially killing current models' sales if they were going to keep same prices and same specs until December 31.

The only people that I imagine being really upset are the ones waiting for new Mini. "Very impohtant, very impohtant, can we move along now".

Because people will still find something to moan about on this forum. Apple have highlighted and acknowledged what they are doing to the point where they are giving away when products will be coming out "later this year" for iMacs. They have also proved that they have been listening to the Pro market what else can they do? I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for the new iMacs, especially the iMacs aimed at "Pros"

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
My 2011 iMac i7 is on its last legs, so I hope this happens soon. I can hold out for a couple more months but probably not after that....

Mine is doing great, and that's my biggest problem, justifying an upgrade. I've added to the memory and only had one problem two years ago when the hard drive starting to make noises like it was going to go out. Took it in and got that unparalleled Apple service. Three years past warrant but diagnosed for free and then when they confirmed the hard drive was going to fail, they offered to fix it for free if I left it overnight. Amazing customer service.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
The presence of a touchscreen is not the issue - it's everything else that needs to be done to the design to support it.

Look at the Studio - it has hinges to allow you to adjust the screen down so you can lean over it and draw on it. They need to make the screen as light as possible for this so they moved the internal components to the base. And that base needs to be compact so you can drag the machine around the desk so as thermally-constrained as the iMac is, the SS is even more - it uses slower mobile CPUs (desktop class are too hot) and has less expansion ports.

Based on what they said at the event, they're going to better integrate the iPad Pro with the Mac - make it operate like a Wacom Cintiq.
They could put all of the expansion ports in the base of the iMac - so the cables stay down on the desk (making the back of the system cleaner.

I've been saying for years that they should have done a MacBook that the lid is an iPad - all kinds of ways you could have the two work together to make the iPad far more powerful (and a few extra horses that you could use when combined as a Mac).

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
A fully loaded iMac & Apple Care cost 6102.87$ with taxes (Canada). Can't wait to see their Pro price.

If they keep the price that high, I will keep my distance

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

I'm in exactly the same boat (down to the same model!).

If it bites the bullet before the new iMacs come round, I may have to go for a self-build, which I haven't done in years!

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
Read Gruber's full blog interview with Apple. They didn't mention Pencil support but said that their customers have NO interest in touch screens at all. To me, that says no pencil support but I could be reading it wrong.
I know they said no touch screens but that doesn't mean they cant find a different way to intoduce it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Be nice to see some Nvidia GPUs in it as an option.
I have an nVidia GTX 780M in my iMac now (late 2013), and I would love an AMD GPU in there because of the better OpenGL drivers and support on macOS.
On Windows it's the other way around.

Here's hoping for at least 8 GB VRAM AMD GPU for my X-Plane needs...

Reactions: Crosscreek

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
I'll say it again, are you freaking kidding me? You literally just said that. Nobody can take anything you're saying seriously. You're just making up stuff about Gruber, and then making up stuff about what you just said.

You will and you need are not the same thing. I'm sure if you read what you quoted again, you'll understand your mistake. Though you don't need to.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
A fully loaded iMac & Apple Care cost 6102.87$ with taxes (Canada). Can't wait to see their Pro price.

If they keep the price that high, I will keep my distance
I bought an iMac (not an iMac Pro) a little over a year ago, a 27 inch 5k screen, I7 processor with 32 Gb memory and paid about 1/2 that here in the states. Are prices that different in Canada?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm just gonna to point out that aside from designers and artists, who needs a touch screen on a desktop? Video editors don't need one. Office doesn't need a touch screen to work.

Nobody needs one that's my point, a touch screen on a desktop or any Mac would be terrible and Apple knows that it's why they have again said no to the idea and I agree with them.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Ugh -- I need to buy an iMac like right now :-(

Since they pre-announced iMacs for several months from now, they could have at least dropped the price of the existing iMacs until then to take some of the sting out of the lack of updates in the meantime.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The quote about later this year, is "expected", but doesn't seem to come from Apple. Is that just flexible editing by MR or can you guys quote apple on this?

Sounds like nonsense to me. I doubt we will see anything desktop this year by now, i hope i am wrong, but common now, based on the stuff in the pipeline there's no event where it matches except 3rd week of november.

This will probably be february 2018 for early imac update, and late 2018 for late mac pro update.

It does come from Apple directly from Phil Schiller and you can read the article here http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
i sort of wish my 2011 iMac was on its last leg - the thing is running like a charm. I'm sure when they come out I'll want one but cant justify it - grrrrrr.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I'm in exactly the same boat (down to the same model!).

If it bites the bullet before the new iMacs come round, I may have to go for a self-build, which I haven't done in years!

Sorry to hear. I have really liked mine overall and six years seems like a good run, so I have no complaints other than the lack of a newly-updated machine to upgrade to right now. I'm somewhat tempted to go the MacBook Pro plus external display route so I can buy something now, but I'm trying to be patient.

One thing I have loved that I hope Apple returns in its 2017 iMac is Target Display Mode. I often have to take my work laptop (a Dell running Windows) home, and it's really nice to be able to use my iMac as an external display for that computer. If the "current" iMacs supported that feature, I might not even wait to buy the new one. Fingers crossed.
[doublepost=1491324347][/doublepost]
i sort of wish my 2011 iMac was on its last leg - the thing is running like a charm. I'm sure when they come out I'll want one but cant justify it - grrrrrr.

It was a good vintage. With any luck, yours will keep working but the new ones will be so upgraded as to make your justification easy!

Reactions: shk718
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.