Apple Says 'Privacy Matters' in Humorous New iPhone Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new privacy-focused iPhone ad on its YouTube channel. The ad will premiere tonight and air through March Madness in the United States before expanding to select other markets globally.

The 45-second video starts with the tagline "privacy matters" and then shows a variety of humorous if not slightly awkward situations where people would want their privacy protected in everyday life. In one scene, for example, two men briefly pause their conversation while a waitress is at their table.

"If privacy matters in your life, it should matter to the phone your life is on," the ad concludes. "Privacy. That's iPhone."

The ad arrives around six weeks after a major FaceTime bug was uncovered that allowed one person to call another person over FaceTime and listen to that other person's audio without the call being answered. Apple fixed the bug in iOS 12.1.4 and apologized, but it certainly wasn't good for its reputation.

Apple similarly promoted its privacy stance with a billboard near CES 2019 in Las Vegas that read "what happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone."

[​IMG]

Bugs aside, Apple really does place an emphasis on privacy, especially compared to some other tech giants like Facebook. Apple has long said it believes privacy is a "fundamental human right," and as part of that, it aims to minimize its collection of customer data and disassociate it from an individual user when it does.

Article Link: Apple Says 'Privacy Matters' in Humorous New iPhone Ad

2. KPandian1 Suspended

Then they should fire every Google and FaceBook App in their "store".

3. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Classic Tim Cook/Apple doublespeak.

Until you stop demanding billions from Google there Timmy your supposed “Stance on Privacy” is nothing more than hot air and ********

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This was really well done. It's so true that people don't even want a stranger leering at them for more than a few seconds or standing too close to their conversation before feeling very uncomfortable, and yet so many people don't bat an eye that all of their personal photos and information are being spread all over the internet. It's this really weird disconnect and I think this commercial does a pretty good job capturing that.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a strong suit for Apple, is privacy. They need to market what they value, it’s not just about the hardware, it’s about valuing the consumers security in today’s digital era of cyber crime. No other smart manufacturer values the consumers privacy and security the way Apple does, period. It’s one of the core reasons why I choose to support Apple.

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

and then the prices for iphone goes up to make up for the difference.

7. fumi2014 macrumors regular

'Privacy Matters'... Because we make our billions from hardware and services.

If that ever changes...

8. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Well good thing you can change your default search engine.

9. Totemsflare macrumors newbie

Totemsflare

10. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

11. now i see it, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

now i see it macrumors 68030

but unfortunately the the App Store is rife with data miners, loggers, trackers, and "analytics"... and that's just the App Store.
    Then you've got your cellular providers selling precise location data to the highest bidder regardless of what phone you use.
    I think the time has come to realize that "privacy" using a smartphone is a sham and a lie. It doesn't exist. Apple's narrative is very very misleading to the point of being harmful.

12. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Your signature looks disturbing.

13. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

And now YouTube knows I’m interrested in videos about iPhones and privacy.

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Funny ad. Very well done. To the critics, please do us a favor and disable google and Facebook from your iPhone.

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Correction---PEOPLE are spreading their personal photos and information all over the internet, mostly voluntarily through FB and Instagram.

16. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Or Youtube knows you’re interested in Apple.

17. ArtOfWarfare, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019

ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I thought rolling up the car window was kind of funny.

18. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

This is brilliant. It’s a brilliant ad and a brilliant strategy.

It’s a funny ad that everyone can relate to and it positions Apple as the only viable solution on a topic where Google can never compete on because Google’s entire business model is about selling your data — it’s antithetical to privacy.

19. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

If Apple is so concerned about privacy, WHY can't you reply to a FaceTime call in AUDIO ONLY mode?

I've requested this for YEARS on Apple's website. Maybe you're not dressed or in the bathroom or having a bad hair day. SO SIMPLE to implement this. Sometimes I get a FaceTime call and I WANT to talk to the person, but I don't want them to see me.

20. xxray macrumors 6502a

And this is one of the reasons I love Apple. When privacy is so rare nowadays, it’s great to see Apple not only sticking up for it, but running an ad about it.

21. centauratlas, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

"what happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone"*

*as long as you don't use iCloud backup...

Apple needs to encrypt everything with on device keys (and not hold the keys). They are doing fine, but need to do better.

22. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

So is Safari and every other web browser on the App Store. The internet is never going to be 100% private, but Apple does the best they can on the device itself.

23. realtuner macrumors regular

realtuner

Except Google doesn’t get any identifying information about me. Only generic search requests.

Actually, they don’t even get that since I long ago set Duck Duck Go as my default.

24. KPandian1 Suspended

iMessage the person calling you on FaceTime to use FaceTime Audio as you are not available to be seen!

Makeup, nude, bad hair, eye goop, or prerogative are some usable replies.

25. realtuner macrumors regular

realtuner

That’s not what Apple is talking about. Apple can’t prevent me from using Safari to visit websites that might steal my credit card information or whatever else I might decide to give them. If Apple did this they’d be slammed for censorship. Same goes for any Apps or services I might use.

Apple is talking about what THEY do with your data (since Apple knows a lot about you and your device usage).