Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Apple's Retail group like pretty much every retail business has quite a bit of turnover I imagine. Just think about that one person who literally got hired March 10th, did orientation and is now sitting at home with a paycheck. My 18 year old self would be stoked.

Reactions: Spungoflex

AppleBonker

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Why because the media told u this?? What about the other dozens of other viruses that we have dealt with in just the past decade alone? This fear is causing more damage than any virus could

No, because literally every health professional is saying this. Or are they also actors part of the ‘big conspiracy’? This virus is not like the others you mention in terms of how contagious it is.

You’re not special, you’re not woke, you’re not enlightened, you’re not an expert on medicine or human behavior. You’re a conspiracy theorist behind a keyboard with internet access. I think I know who we should choose to listen to.

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
Ok we get it media. Everything’s now closed. Imagine the pent up demand explosion for “stuff” in a month or two when this fear nonsense is gone. People will be “relief buying” everything especially apple products. Apple products are what you need most during those wonderful social distancing times

People who have lost their jobs and seen then investment/retirement accounts cut by a third are going to be "relief buying" Apple products?

Also, considering that people can still buy things online...I don't see why there is really any pent-up extra demand in the first place...

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Lol! Darkest hour? Why because some stores are closed and some people have a cold? Darkest hour....tell that to a mother who lost her child to cancer...yes the millions who die from cancer not some minor flu virus. What media created complete and utter yes utter nonsense this all is.

Minor flu? You're special, aren't you?

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
1-3 million people will die. These are official estimates.

If hospitals become overwhelmed, that number could be higher, which is why we need to flatten the curve.

(Also, Italy doesn’t give a damn about our politics, and they’re suffering horribly right now.)

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Permanently? What are you on? They're typically the most profitable store per square feet for each mall they're in.

Permanently.

I've bought Apple computers, iPhones, iPads, and accessories for years. Not once did I buy them at an Apple store. It's an unnecessary business model. Today, you can buy online. No standing in line. Same prices. Overnight delivery. I've yet to understand what an Apple store adds to the pot. People who buy Apple products are going to buy Apple products -- Apple store or not. Want to play with a device? Go to Best Buy. Don't like the device you bought sight unseen? Return it for free. Need to learn how to use an Apple product? Go online and watch a video. Need a repair? Send it to Apple or go to an authorized service center.

I continually wonder why the Apple store even exists.

But then again... I continually wonder why most mall stores still exist.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Permanently.

I've bought Apple computers, iPhones, iPads, and accessories for years. Not once did I buy them at an Apple store. It's an unnecessary business model. Today, you can buy online. No standing in line. Same prices. Overnight delivery. I've yet to understand what an Apple store adds to the pot. People who buy Apple products are going to buy Apple products -- Apple store or not. Want to play with a device? Go to Best Buy. Don't like the device you bought sight unseen? Return it for free. Need to learn how to use an Apple product? Go online and watch a video. Need a repair? Send it to Apple or go to an authorized service center.

I continually wonder why the Apple store even exists.

But then again... I continually wonder why most mall stores still exist.
The key word in all that is "I".

Other people have different shopping habits and needs. All those people in those busy Apple Stores have the same online shopping option as you do, but, for individual reasons, they choose to shop there in person.

How does their existence negatively affect you enough for you to call for them to be closed?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not unexpected. This is a fluid situation changing daily.

That’s basically the answer I hear consistently’ it’s a ‘day-by-day’ basis. I asked a Restauranteur yesterday what he suspected of how this would impact his livelihood/business, does he have any alternative options, ect. I was actually surprised how optimistic he was, basically not letting the situation impact in the way others might, moving forward in terms of the type of attitude ‘We’ll survive, push through and go back to normal.’

Apple will be fine, even if their stores are closed indefinitely. It’s the small business owners Who will have to create a
‘workaround’ to survive, if they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s basically the answer I hear consistently’ it’s a ‘day-by-day’ basis. I asked a Restauranteur yesterday what he suspected of how this would impact his livelihood/business, does he have any alternative options, ect. I was actually surprised how optimistic he was, basically not letting the situation impact in the way others might, moving forward in terms of the type of attitude ‘We’ll survive, push through and go back to normal.’

Apple will be fine, even if their stores are closed indefinitely. It’s the small business owners Who will have to create a !workaround’ to survive, if they can.
I agree fully with your sentiment. I know it’s not about the mega-corporations. It’s about the small businesses, the ones that are or could be really hurt by this. It’s about the people who depend on their retirement income derived from equity in the markets.
There is no timeline from here to back to normal. Every day is a wait and see. But thanks for the bit of sanity in this time of hysteria.

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Lol! Darkest hour? Why because some stores are closed and some people have a cold? Darkest hour....tell that to a mother who lost her child to cancer...yes the millions who die from cancer not some minor flu virus. What media created complete and utter yes utter nonsense this all is.

I am sorry but your attitude doesn't help with the current situation and probably worsen the situation. This is no common flu. My mother is a cancer patient and Covid-19 can kill her much easier than a common flu/cold as we don't have immunity for it.

My mom was not diagnosed with lymphoma until she was hospitalized for pneumonia (you know what... it started as a common cold. She had an active lifestyle and healthier than most 63 years old.) which almost killed her. If it is Covid-19, she probably not going survive.

Who knows if one has some hidden health condition, you don't want to spread anything (not even a common cold) to anyone as he/she can be someone you know and even close. You may be healthy enough to survive, but a lot don't

Currently, you have an attitude of an antivaxxer.

We all need to do our part, a big part to stop this pandemic. Keep our social contact to minimal.

(Note: I don't even get to see my mom as precaution... i only can talk to her from distance and on the phone.)

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

This is not an influenza strain. It is a new "novel" strain of the Corona virus. Start here, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html, to gain some knowledge.

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
You really think governments and businesses would shut down for nothing? You don’t think this is a very calculated move based on data?

If so I have a bridge to sell you.

In 2009, 60 million Americans were infected with the H1N1 ("swine flu") virus. Almost 13,000 Americans died because of it and there were 1/4 million hospitalizations. I don't recall businesses shutting down or any of the present nonsense back then.

In 2017, 80,000 Americans died because of the seasonal flu. 73 million were infected and there were 1.1 million hospitalizations. I don't recall businesses shutting down or any of the present nonsense back then either.

Believe the lying media hype all you want. We've been down this same road before.
[automerge]1584465775[/automerge]
Yes they are nervous because this media fear will not let spouses, relatives see them in hospitals, rehabs and nursing homes!! Many more Elderly will die from the isolation rather than this ridiculous virus fear garbage. Don’t u question anything? Stop blindly following those in charge who like everyone else have their own interests and agendas...
[automerge]1584445405[/automerge]

Why because the media told u this?? What about the other dozens of other viruses that we have dealt with in just the past decade alone? This fear is causing more damage than any virus could

See my statistics on past pandemics in the U.S., as well as the season flu below. You are absolutely correct.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
In 2009, 60 million Americans were infected with the H1N1 ("swine flu") virus. Almost 13,000 Americans died because of it and there were 1/4 million hospitalizations. I don't recall businesses shutting down or any of the present nonsense back then.

In 2017, 80,000 Americans died because of the seasonal flu. 73 million were infected and there were 1.1 million hospitalizations. I don't recall businesses shutting down or any of the present nonsense back then either.

Believe the lying media hype all you want. We've been down this same road before.
[automerge]1584465775[/automerge]

See my statistics on past pandemics in the U.S., as well as the season flu below. You are absolutely correct.
I've also ready that initially Italy tried to hide the number of infections and only reported the more serious cases to keep people calm. I wonder how that fatality rate got so high.. HMMMM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.