Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2006
London
I KNOW what it is - you've all missed the most obvious

You've all missed the obvious- Black curtains are the giveaway.

They are setting up the stores to test for backlight bleed on the iPad.

skidog1111

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

lilo777 said:
Perhaps this rumor is just someone's desperate attempt to prop up AAPL stock which is falling like a brick today?

This.

cprich

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
To expand on my earlier thought (iPod Classic); the Classic is also 10 this year, and we know iCloud is coming. So the Classic gets reintroduced as a Cloud only player linked to iCloud and the MobileMe update. It all seems to work together, anyhow.

sladey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Let logic prevail.

1. Lion and iCloud don't require hardware
2. Existing hardware update unlikely to cause a visual concern
3. iPhone on new carrier - no need for all the drama

So the only reason for secret hardware AND secretive curtains AND training is...

New, never before seen, hardware...

Apple Television.

Possibly timed to get ready for the iCloud (with new movie and TV show deals providing a much needed increase in video content).

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
It's a birthday party for Rich in accounting.

Maybe Steve was looking at his birthday calender for the staff and realised there where like 7 birthdays in every store this week, so why not throw one big party get them all out of the way. We all know how frisky people get at the end of summer.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i will bubble it down for the less smart like myself. they are blacking out the windows with curtains, well this is either to protect what there setting up in the store or they are putting something in the display window. either or i think there will be something in the window. well its either a anniversary party or some sort of product launch, of witch product we don't know. lion is to be released this summer but i would guess that is what wwdc is for, there is reports of a sprint iphone being made but its to early so maybe t-mobile. there is mobile me, final cut and the mystical i cloud, which i think i cloud i thing the cloud would have an event especially if its part of mobile me. so that leaves final cut, so weight the odds is it an anniversary party with price cuts and free juice lol, a final cut release, an iPhone for other carriers, or something random we cant think of. whatever the case im sure it will be nothing great or COMPLETELY AWSOME!

mattlol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
To expand on my earlier thought (iPod Classic); the Classic is also 10 this year, and we know iCloud is coming. So the Classic gets reintroduced as a Cloud only player linked to iCloud and the MobileMe update. It all seems to work together, anyhow.

lol no.

42abram

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

HOw bout the entry level laptop

White MacBook refresh....

It's about time, may launch schedule
I have the newest
Model and got it may 2010

qzxyu

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Why it's not a T-Mobile / Sprint iPhone:

1) They just released it on Verizon, (a much larger and more lucrative provider in comparison) and they didn't close stores and black out windows.

2) If it were, all this switch would require is a couple poster boards and maybe a banner or 2, not a full staff over night.

3) The inclusion of an NDA is usually saved for when big announcements are made.

4) iPhone and its OS would be the same on the T-Mobile version, so why would they need a genius staff and gigabytes of training material?

My guess is an Apple TV. I do also think there will be a promotion for the 10 year anniversary. The iPod classic revamp is also a good bet. Lion would be saved for WWDC. Revamps on computers i.e. new iMac's and MB pro's recently didnt draw attention like this, so why would a new mac mini or Pro cause it now?

I think it is something new, at least I am hoping... I know Ill have my money ready to throw at them, even if its something I dont need, just like most of the Apple owners I know.

Ryan

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Very simple. It's the new, mostly-free MobileMe+iCloud+iTunes. The only thing that really needs some more detailed training for its sales force.

Exactly.

Apple fanaticism once again in play here. :)

This will be nothing. Apple doesn't operate this way for major announcements. They would announce at an event and set a day for release. No time for that here.

Tony

If I were Apple, ever once in awhile, I would do something big - completely contrary to the way everyone thinks it will or should happen.

Rumor, a big part of how apple generates massive interest and following, doesn't work if people become convinced they already know the playbook.

Have to agree with Scott. This definitely sounds like deployment of a new product. NDA's and black curtains?

My guess is that it is MobileMe and it will be announced late in the week prior to these meetings with an in-store only signup to begin with. This lets them "change the playbook," get the Apple-heads into the stores where the displays will be about using the service on all the devices. Oh, the "hardware" referred to in to story isn't product, but displays ("Look how great this works if you have a macbook, iphone AND ipad!").

They're launching a service. They make money on hardware sales. They're trying to drive traffic into the store to get people to buy new things they make money off of in return for a new, amazing service that won't make them squat.

qzxyu

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
Anaheim, CA
No chance that this is for iphone 5?

We would have heard something somewhere along the production line. There are too many parts from too many places going into the iPhone for someone not to leak something and give a heads up to a possible new phone. The public has speculated and usually been correct within a few weeks on iPhones up till now, I dont see this changing for the iPhone 5.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
The plus for us in Oz in this means no slow news day on monday.

ha! I think that's because arn & co like to enjoy their Sundays away from the machines. I always do check on a Monday morning just in case something special has come up.

This is blatantly NOT new hardware because it is not happening here in OZ or outside the US. Either a promotion or t-mobile/sprint iPhone.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I don’t know what it is but my life will improve dramatically when I buy it. :)

My guess is that it’ll be several new items introduced all at the same time...

• iCloud (to replace MobileMe)
  • iCloud iPod (streaming via 3G & WiFi only, will not store music internally)
  • Apple TV (as in, an Apple-branded flat screen TV / projector with a built-in TV 2)
  • iWork ‘11
  • Final Cut Studio ‘11
  • Final Cut Express ‘11
  • iTunes 11

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
In my opinion this can only be possibly for the following reasons:

1. 10th Anniversary celebrations
2. T-Mobile/Sprint iphone
3. Drastic pricing change
4. A training exercise

And this is what I think about each one.

1. 10th Anniversary celebrations
Very possible. And if they are handing out T-shirts etc you'd only need one back of store guy to organise it. And maybe a genius or two if they are having 10th Anniversary slide shows on their display models in store. And the NDA would be there to make it all secret. But I thought Apple would want this to be a world wide thing, so more global sales. The US only thing makes me thing this is not it. Maybe Apple do want it to be US only. And if this is the case it'd be very silly indeed.

And it's not advertised. I'm sure Apple would want to let the world know "come to our 10th Anniversary event"

2. T-Mobile/Sprint iphone
Not too possible. The geniuses and back staff requirements are there. The NDA would be needed too. And it meets the US only requirement. But even the white iphone got a mention on the website before it was released. Plus Apple retail staff would only find about it the same day the public do. So unlikely.

3. Drastic pricing change.
Rather likely. To stay competitive in the market. Would be a US only price change. But why would you need back of house and geniuses there for that. You wouldn't. So it does not add up 100% like the rest.

4. A training exercise
Rather likely. It's just a meeting. For everyone to attend. But then why all the cloak and dagger stuff like locking phones away, black curtains and NDAs. Unless it is a dress rehearsal for an even bigger launch in the coming days.

I think all 4 have reasons why they can and can not be plausible. But for me the most likely one is 4.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
It went zip when it moved and bop when it stopped whirrrrr when it stood still
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will.

The first time that I picked it up I had a big surprise.
For right on the bottom were two big buttons that looked like big green eyes.
I first pushed one and then the other, then I twisted its lid.
And when I set it down again, well here is what it did.

It went zip when it moved and bop when it stopped whirrrrr when it stood still
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will.

It first marched left and then marched right, then marched under the chair
and when I looked where it had gone it wasn't even there.
I started to cry my Daddy laughed he knew just what I'd find.
when i turned around my marvellous toy came chugging from behind.

It went zip when it moved and bop when it stopped and whirrrrr when it stood still
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.