Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 11.4 update to developers, a little under a week after releasing iOS 11.3, an update that introduced a wide range of new features like Battery Health for monitoring the status of your iPhone's battery, Business Chat in Messages, ARKit 1.5 with augmented reality improvements, new Animoji on iPhone X, Health Records from participating medical providers, and more.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 11.4 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center. It appears there's currently a bug preventing the beta profile from being downloaded, but it should be addressed soon.

ios114beta-800x483.jpg

It's not yet clear what new features will be included in the iOS 11.4 beta aside from the new ClassKit framework Apple introduced at its March event, but we are waiting on several features to be added to iOS 11, including iCloud Messages and AirPlay 2, functionality that has popped up in previous betas and then disappeared before release.

We don't yet know if any of these features will be introduced in iOS 11.4, but we'll update this post once we download the beta and discover what's new.

What's new in iOS 11.4 Beta 1: Messages on iCloud is present in the iOS 11.4 beta after being removed from iOS 11.3 ahead of its release, as are AirPlay 2 features. Apple TV devices are once again listed in the Home app, an AirPlay 2 option.

Stereo support for the HomePod is included, but the feature doesn't work properly as it requires unreleased HomePod software.

homepodstereopairs.jpg

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 11.4 to Developers [Updated]

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I am always a sucker for these fresh new betas. My iphone runs fairly well on 11.3 yet I can't leave well enough alone! All aboard the beta adventure!

I know. I told myself after I got an unlocked X that I wouldn’t do betas anymore. That didn’t last long. Now when it comes iOS 12, I’ll jump on around beta 6.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
I patiently waited for iOS 11.3 / macOS 10.13.4 final builds to fix Messages.app displaying messages out of order.
Couple of days later, the same inconsistency creeps in again. This is iMessage people, one of the main 'advantages' of Apple - and it's never been at a worse state.

I'm at a place now, where I feel totally indifferent to iOS/macOS updates. All I see is inconsistency.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
As much as I want to update, I must resist, my iPhone 8 Plus has been running the smoothest it has ever ran since getting it in October with 11.3, but, please post screenshots of new features in 11.4

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Not knowing what is in these is like App updates that only say "Bug Fixes". Really? Why not add a little more detail.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Would be interesting to know if the battery health feature supports third party batteries again.

Huh, how does the phone know if it's a third party battery, afaik there's nothing (like a chip) in the battery so if there's no feedback there's no way for the iPhone to know if it's an Original Apple battery or not.

Installing now, 2.27 GB, iPhone X

Itunes?
Must be, mine was somewhere around 260 MB (iPhone 6S)

Reactions: Skoal

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Question, why does it take so long to prepare an update, downloading it was half a minute, it's on preparing for about 10 minutes now and still not finished, it always takes that long on my iPhone.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Huh, how does the phone know if it's a third party battery, afaik there's nothing (like a chip) in the battery so if there's no feedback there's no way for the iPhone to know if it's an Original Apple battery or not.
Well everyone with third party batteries I've asked said that it doesn't work. My dad has the original battery and it works. It worked with iFixit batteries in beta 2, but never again anymore. The page is empty and if my battery reaches 5%, it still slows my phone.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Not knowing what is in these is like App updates that only say "Bug Fixes". Really? Why not add a little more detail.

Well, given that this is a developer beta, if you are installing it you *should* have access to the release notes via their developer page. And you also technically can't disclose the contents of those notes as you're under NDA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.