Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
FWIW, I too have the annoying iTunes-won't-quit problem described by others here (and no, I have no AppleTV so it's not caused by that.)

Does anyone have a link to a list of fixes? Has that been leaked? I have my fingers crossed that they will finally nail the last few Active Directory plug-in bugs. The fact that something so essential to enterprise users has been broken through two updates is starting to worry me.

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Hopefully, this'll fix a lot of those "Unpatched bugs"l.

Now I haven't checked in a while. However, I remember that most of the unpatched bugs where in the opensource software that had not been updated but where included with the os. It would be nice to see apple incorporate updated opensource when it updates its own code.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
10.5 has been a shocker, all 'round for me

I'd like to be happy about the rapid development of 10.5.3, but I'm starting to lose all hope of 10.5 being at least as stable as 10.4 on an Al iMac (not a G5 or something... )

I've never has so many problems with ANY Mac OS since day-one. When 10.5.2 came out, so quickly, I thought "OK, so they must have fixed it this time" and it's been worse -

• mail problems finding & keeping the servers
• dock updating problems (shows apps running after they've quit, won't show running apps in the dock or the command-tab list)
• Safari & Toast eventually grab all the RAM and the thing grinds to a halt

all on a brand new machine.

I am pleased that 10.5 is introducing new technologies and finally breaking with the past. I'd like to say, I just wish other developers could catch up with the new OS, but clearly even Apple can't keep up (its apps are just as bad as anyone else's at playing nice with Leopard), but I suspect there's a bit of panic going on - either for marketing or technical reasons...

but for me, much as I like the new features, Leopard has been a reliability FLOP.

[P.S. - you don't realise how much you rely on colour, especially on a 'busy' screen, until you try to use the forum editor in B&W. I do like the prank, though. Thanks MacRumors!]

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
Please to god, fix the airport problems. PLEASE. The random disconnects, are driving me nuts.

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Did I seem Overly Excited?

chill! we wont be getting ZFS in a 10.5.x update! :D it will probably be in 10.6 or 10.7. its takes time & a lot of work to move an operating system to a new file system. doesnt happen instantly like we wont it to! ...

I just asked what happened to it?

But, yeah, if Apple focused just a little more on the OS vs. iTunes/iPod/iPhone - it would be greatly appreciated.

But, we will see ZFS in OS X.5. We already have rudimentary ZFS support in it. I just haven't heard anything really since the developer release many months ago.

Same goes with Java - actually, if anything, I am excited about Java 6 support - Windows and Linux has had Java 6 support for over a year and half ago. And Steve Jobs had claimed that the Mac would be the best Java supported OS - well, I guess he was a little wrong on that.

And they have had a couple of developer previews, but still they have been far and few between.

I was just wondering if this new . release if it added support for these exciting technologies.

Thanks!

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
we don't post april fools stories. all stories are 100% real.

arn

Unless of course this statement itself is a prank. I'm going to assume it is and that all stories posted on MacRumors today are 100% fake. I suggest you all do the same!

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Still waiting ...

... for a fix so I can use my Sony DR-BT21G Bluetooth headset. Right now it sorta kinda works for a minute or two before a flood of errors requiring restart.

Come on Apple, Vista (even x64 edition) works flawless with those headphones.

hijofrizbe

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
New York
Disk Utility

Well it seems you all might be light years a head of me... I still can't use my verify permission or repair permissions in my desk utility. Goes "less than one minute" and just stays there. I actually fear every update now, kind of like what's not going to work next on my computer.

As far as the iTunes Wonky behavior, I actually get it in iChat... it just wouldn't quit - I had to shut down my computer to get it to quit the application. It just makes me sad >.<

Cold-1

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
FTFA (Fix The f***** Airport)

I hope they get it finally right this time. I find it evidence of incapacity that Apple can't make a solid Airport driver.
I am in an environment where the signal is weak and kind of pulsating.
Under Linux, I have a rocksolid connection, no matter how long and how much I use the connection. On OSX, I have to MANUALLY reconnect about every 5 minutes, sometimes even stright after reconnecting. This really sux.

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
For those having airport drop outs try this step

Do a hard reset of the base station

I know this means re-doing the settings but it has so for the past 2 weeks stopped any further sudden disconnects for me.

It seems the recent updates do little to correctly restart the base stations and the hard reset fixes what they cause and the drop outs go away.

hewcardpacklet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Montreal Canada
i hate side drawers! make it a floating inspector please!

Agreed, it would be even cooler (same look as iPhoto or Pixlmator floating thingies), anything other than that pop-up thing that is supposed to show off core animation, now when I have to change an iCal entry, I have to click at least 3 times (Double-click to open, another click on the Edit button, other clicks to choose the item...) it is painful...

Is there a way to get the old iCal but keep Leopard??

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Well it seems you all might be light years a head of me... I still can't use my verify permission or repair permissions in my desk utility. Goes "less than one minute" and just stays there. I actually fear every update now, kind of like what's not going to work next on my computer.

How long have you left it? They do the same for me - display "less than one minute", but after 15 minutes or so (200G drive) the tasks finish up.

NoMoreIloveYous

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
How long have you left it? They do the same for me - display "less than one minute", but after 15 minutes or so (200G drive) the tasks finish up.

Mine always takes 14 minutes to complete.
A friend of mine has upgraded to Leopard in the same way as I did and it takes only 3 or 4 minutes to complete.
Strange thing. Or the Tiger version remained on his Mac, or Apple should fix this for all users.
3 or 4 minutes should be the right timing.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Mine always takes 14 minutes to complete.
A friend of mine has upgraded to Leopard in the same way as I did and it takes only 3 or 4 minutes to complete.
Strange thing. Or the Tiger version remained on his Mac, or Apple should fix this for all users.
3 or 4 minutes should be the right timing.

It mostly depends on what you installed on your HD. Anyway, I have the same "problem" but at the end, after a while, I does repair permissions. In earlier version of Leopard, on one of my PPC machine, Disk Repair simply refused to repair permissions completely. That was a bug. But now, it's merely a matter of "progress bar that don't properly reflect the state of the job".

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
3-4 mins to repair permissions!?

Is THAT and Aprils Fool Joke?

It should be no more than 15-30 seconds tops.
Went back to Tiger, sometimes 12 seconds mostly 15,

its almost complete utter indifference and lack of respect for their customers for Apple to have left that bug for so long

snugharbor

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2007
The same thing happens to me aswell, I find it really annoying.

I have to click iTunes twice since the first time the exit doesn't stick. I've also noticed that if I enable the itunes helper on a reboot I can go into "my account", and look into "login items and the lock is open. Only problem? The lock was closed and requires a password but on reboot it is open if I select iTunes helper. This sounds like a security vulnerability or poor user interface unless we MS it and say it is a feature. If I uncheck iTunesHelper the lock remains locked until I use my password.

T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.