Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 10 to Developers [Update: Also Available for Public Beta Testers]

lucasrant

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
That's what I was asking. I'm astounded that anyone still meters SMS anymore.
At least in my country (Argentina), there are always different plans. You can get a line and get charged however much you consume and use, or get pre-paid plans with a set number of SMS to send. Here, most people get those and are constantly topping up.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's not working for some people in some of the betas. It worked for me in the first beta (and maybe the second - I can't remember), and hasn't worked since then. Perhaps a clean install will help? I am installing beta 5 now and will report back whether it fixed the issue for me.
Appreciate the response. That one feature is definitely not worth a clean install for me lol. I will wait and see if the RC fixes it.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of iOS 10 to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fourth beta and approximately two months after first unveiling the new operating system at its 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference.

iOS 10 beta 5 is available as an over-the-air download to those who installed the first four betas or the beta configuration profile and it's available for direct download via Apple's Developer Center.

iOS 10 is a major iOS update with a ton of new features and design tweaks, including a new Lock screen experience with 3D Touch-enabled notifications, a more easily accessible camera, a redesigned Control Center, and a new widgets screen. According to Apple, iOS 10 is the company's biggest iOS update ever released.

The Messages app in iOS 10 has been overhauled with features that include background animations, bubble effects, Digital Touch, handwritten notes, Tapback replies, predictive emoji, and a dedicated App Store, and Photos has gained new facial and object recognition capabilities along with a Memories feature for rediscovering forgotten moments.

Over the beta testing period, Apple is tweaking the features introduced in iOS 10 to refine them ahead of the public release of the operating system. In iOS 10 beta 4, Apple introduced new emoji characters and a redesigned look for many existing emoji, a Control Center intro, new Accessibility features, changes to the Notification Center, and more. New changes found in the fifth iOS 10 beta will be listed below.

iOS 10 is currently available to developers and public beta testers, with a full public release planned for the fall. For full details on iOS 10, make sure to check out our iOS 10 roundup.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new iOS 10 beta to public beta testers.

What's new in iOS 10 beta 5:

Smart Battery Case - The iPhone 6 and 6s should now work properly with Apple's Smart Battery Case. According to the iOS 10 release notes, the case will no longer cause devices to panic.

Photos - Apple plans to reprocess facial recognition data in beta 5, so all named, favorited, and merged face data will be reset.

Lock sound - There's a new sound when locking the iPhone. It sounds like a door closing.

Control Center - Control Center icons in the Music panel have been slightly tweaked.

Settings - The "Home" section in the Settings app has been removed on the iPhone, as it served no purpose, but it remains available on the iPad.

Widgets - The new widgets panel, accessible by swiping to the right, now displays the date on all devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 10 to Developers [Update: Also Available for Public Beta Testers]
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. I thought the public beta was never released until 48 hours after the dev? What gives?

Jlcollins

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
Why don't you just turn off Keyboard sounds in settings? I have since my first iPhone 3G because that click click click click sound while typing drove me nuts.
He's talking about the lock sound when you press the power button to lock the phone. He's right, it's atrocious and needs changed back to the original, or we need the option to use it or choose the old one if we desire.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I really do love the new keystroke sounds. The new lock sound, not so much...
I just don't know what it's trying to represent. Some say a door, my girlfriend says a corded light switch. I think it's a crunching sound! Better than that tiny sound we had in earlier betas.

I don't have a 6s - does this beta put the lock vibration back or is that gone forever?

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Wow finally bit the bullet and installed. Boy was I wrong! Loving this update and only messed with it about an hour. So far everything working fine. The lock screen sound isn't near as bad as some here elude to. It u hate it turn it off. I don't like the keyboard clicks but I didn't like the old ones either so keep those off. Seems faster/more responsive than 9.3.4 Control panel is fine too. I was reading how horrible multiple sceens were and thought I would agree. Balony. Not bad at all and if music is playin the music page comes up first. Not seeing what's the big deal. Love the home key to unlock! Super fast and easy. Some are hating on that too. WHAT?!? Whats not to like here? Not sure I care for the iMessage fluff but hey I just won't use that stuff. Music app seems more intuitive to me. The old iOS 9 ver was never user friendly. Overall loving this update so far. Both performance wise and feature wise.
[doublepost=1470800537][/doublepost]
I just don't know what it's trying to represent. Some say a door, my girlfriend says a corded light switch. I think it's a crunching sound! Better than that tiny sound we had in earlier betas.

I don't have a 6s - does this beta put the lock vibration back or is that gone forever?
No. can't say it's gone forever but it's not here in this beta. Fine with me. Saves battery not firing off the vibration motors

darrenoia

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Man, I really hope Apple changes the notifications back to where you could clear an entire group at once. Notifications take to long now, especially if you have a lot.
Seconded. I’m not sure why they would get rid of this and I keep expecting them to bring it back. Without grouping by app, Notifications are just too much white noise.

Reactions: Iceage

tjhilder

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Kent, UK
www.twitter.com
thank goodness they fixed the brightness issues on my iphone 6s Plus in PB5.

I had to have my display brightness on 100% all the time but in reality it was around 40% of what it should be, it made viewing my iPhone in sunlight practically impossible.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
What is the procedure from going from DP/PB's to the final version? Just delete the profile when the final version comes out?

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
What is the procedure from going from DP/PB's to the final version? Just delete the profile when the final version comes out?
No the final will automatically come down. Only delete the profile if you don't want further betas AFTER the release.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
I love love love the new lock sound and the fact that Apple made the keyboard clicker noise louder. I am highly satisfied with beta 5. Haven't rant into one single issue.

jhwalker

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
I guess I'm blind - I've been using iOS 10 on my 6+ (personal) and iOS 9 on my 6 (work) phones for some time now, and I swear I see no difference between the two. All these "major changes" are so subtle (to me, anyway) I scarcely notice them.

Certainly not nearly so big a change as between iOS 6 and iOS 7.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
As I said before... When you don't live in the US 9 out of 10 users are on android. Propably even more. So as much as I like messages it's useless unless you'll use it as sms.

Really? In the UK I see iPhones all of the time. The current population of the US is a shade over 320 million. Considering Apple has apparently over 1 billion active iPhones, even at 100% market saturation the USA still wouldn't be able to account for even half of those 1 billion devices.

jthomp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
Anyone else have an issue where the notifications go to watch AND phone almost simultaneously? Haven't seen that issue in some time and it just started happening. If no one else has, then I am at a loss as to why i'll get the notification on my watch, then seconds later on my phone.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I tried to download this to my iPhone 6 and iPad Air when I saw the headline a few days ago. The only available update was Beta 4. I updated both devices with that and have been checking for Beta 5. Nothing yet. Any idea why?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried to download this to my iPhone 6 and iPad Air when I saw the headline a few days ago. The only available update was Beta 4. I updated both devices with that and have been checking for Beta 5. Nothing yet. Any idea why?
It's developer beta 5 and public beta 4, but both are the same build.

devincentis

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
Beta 5 breaks Good for Enterprise. So whoever uses this for his/her corporate emails, should probably not update at this stage. It works fine up to beta 4.
Today's beta fix Good for Enterprise issues? Held off on last update thanks to your post.