Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 10 to Developers [Update: Also Available for Public Beta Testers]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2016.

1. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I live in the US and only use iMessage, have never touched WhatsApp. Stop assuming you know me :) I was basing my opinion on observation travelling abroad, was not hostile at all. Calm down.

2. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Find new friends ;). It's restricted to the people you know really, because I live in the Netherlands, and there's only one person in my extended family (my own and in-laws) that doesn't own an iPhone. Most of my friends have an iPhone as well. I primarily use iMessage.

3. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

4. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

You have to hard press down on the Home button. When it fails to identify your fingerprint, it brings up the Passcode screen. It's not that much different, but annoying to me as like I said, swiping to unlock is muscle memory after it being this way since the original iPhone.

5. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

Maybe I wrote my reply wrong. I do like iMessage and I'm very happy Apple is updating it and putting effort in it. For me it's just not that usefull. When it would communicate with other messenger apps who are the standard over here (whatsapp) I would use iMessage as my primary messenger app. This is not the case so I'm forced using whatsapp. But luckily for you it is :)

6. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

A few changes I've noticed in Beta 5 (iPhone 6S) so far:

- Animations are significantly faster.
    • Returning to the home screen feels almost impossibly fast. So fast that it seems like the return-to-home animation begins before the home button click has completed.
    • Tapping to zoom into folders has also seen a serious speed-up.

- Swipe down from Widgets screen to Search
    • Not sure if this is new as of Beta 5, but I just noticed you can swipe down when in the Widgets screen to activate Spotlight, both in Notifications Center, lock screen, and from the home screen.
    • Also not sure if this is new, but you can swipe to cycle between sticker packs/iMessage apps horizontally.
    • When your contact does not have a photo assigned to them: the circle depicting their initials has seen the gradient and outlining notably toned down.

7. cmaier Suspended

It's never left, for most of us.

8. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

You make a very hostile impression to me too :eek::p

Just joking. Peace all :)

9. gaximus macrumors 6502a

My argument wasn't that iMessages is more or less popular, just that it isn't a few people using. If you want to text on an iPhone without downloading an app and having your friend download an app, then you use iMessages, which is cross platform messenger, as it uses SMS. You won't get all the cool stuff but it is a cross platform messenger.

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 68000

Statusnone88

GM will be released the day of the iPhone keynote, like it's been for almost 10 years.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Probably not the place to ask this, but how do you get the emoji suggestions? I'm on public beta 3 and it doesn't work no matter what app I am in, including messages

12. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

Am I the only one that disables keyboard sounds? Who wants to hear it all day? I hate the fact I am hearing my physical keyboard clatter as I type this on my computer...

13. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

About 200,000 iMessage are sent per second. It's pretty well used by people!

14. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

It's not working for some people in some of the betas. It worked for me in the first beta (and maybe the second - I can't remember), and hasn't worked since then. Perhaps a clean install will help? I am installing beta 5 now and will report back whether it fixed the issue for me.

15. Putterboy75 macrumors newbie

Putterboy75

I know, how about we leave all the "which messaging app is more popular" arguments for say...an iMessage/messaging thread.... Let's stay on point, this is about iOS betas.

16. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Or more importantly, was it fixed?

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Where is it that working properly with battery cases comes up as one of the biggest iOS 10 features?

18. frankc92 macrumors member

How stable is this release? Most apps working on it? Hesitant to try the public beta....

19. emm386 macrumors 6502

emm386

Background animations and bubble effects? Well f**** me over the innovative fireworks Cupertino sells as USP's nowadays.

ICQ had those in the late nineties. And it slowly died. And that was a good thing.

20. C DM, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

People will need to run it for a little while to see how stable it is.
    I believe a lot of people disable the sounds, while a lot of people don't.
    I miss ICQ (and for some reason reason can't forget my ICQ number to this day, even though I haven't used it in years and years, and only think about it once in a rare while).

21. msmys macrumors newbie

That functionality has been present since the first beta, just having been rebranded as "Play Later"
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    The lock screen messages bug has been fixed for me on an iPhone 6s Plus.

22. YoungLay, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

YoungLay macrumors member

YoungLay

23. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

HUHOH! Jesus, I remember mine, too.

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

25. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I just realized I still remember my ICQ number too! Holy cow! :cool: