Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Fifth OS X El Capitan Beta to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fifth beta of OS X El Capitan to developers for testing purposes, less than one week after releasing the fourth El Capitan beta and nearly two months after unveiling the operating system at its 2015 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Today's update is available through the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Apple Developer Center.

It is not clear if this update will add any outward-facing changes to El Capitan, as the past few betas have focused on under-the-hood performance improvements and bug fixes to optimize the operating system ahead of its public release. We'll add new features and bug fixes in beta 5 to this post should any tweaks be discovered.

As an update complementary to OS X Yosemite, OS X El Capitan builds on the myriad features introduced last year. Behind-the-scenes improvements in El Capitan make a number of apps and processes on the Mac faster, and the introduction of Metal makes system-level graphics rendering 40 percent more efficient.

El Capitan introduces a new system-wide font, a revamped Mission Control feature, a split-view feature for using two full-screen apps at once, deeper functionality for Spotlight, and improvements to Safari that include Pinned Sites and a universal mute button.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is currently available to both registered developers and public beta testers. Apple plans to release El Capitan to the public in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth OS X El Capitan Beta to Developers

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Sweet! Public should be tomorrow or the day after hopefully.

I actually really notice a big improvement in gaming performance in El Capitan vs Yosemite thanks to metal. Very solid so far.

Comment

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I actually really notice a big improvement in gaming performance in El Capitan vs Yosemite thanks to metal. Very solid so far.

Games won't use Metal unless coded to use it. And no game has been updated to use it yet. So strange you would see a dramatic improvement in games already.

Comment

sapbasis

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Okay, going ahead and giving it a try. I've notice some slow performance with different apps on my iMac, Parallels, Mail and some wifi weirdness. Let's see what happens!

Mail problems are all with gmail accounts. It will take a couple of minutes to show the emails for each inbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesterWallaboo
Comment

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

Wait a minute.... a game has to be written using the Metal API. Of which I am completely unaware of any OS X games implementing the Metal API.

Comment

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
This came as quite a surprise when it showed up in the App Store for me a few minutes ago.... and still no mention on the Developer Member Centre downloads page which still shows beta 4 as the latest, so no release notes yet...

Must be a biggie for such an out of schedule release...

Reactions: ad5ll
Comment

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Tonbridge, UK
It might be (and I bet we see iOS 9 beta 5 as soon as I post this) that iOS 9 beta 5 will be released 2 weeks from now and the OS X team wanted to put something out in between and not leave mac users a three week wait too?

Just a theory. My prediction is another two weeks for iOS.

Comment

jackth29

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Chris: Guys, we should do something totally crazy
Tom: I second that; my wife says she wishes I was more "spontaneous"
Larry: OH OH OH I HAVE THE PERFECT IDEA
Chris & Tom: What is it, Larry?
Larry: I was thinking we could seed the beta on a MONDAY.
Larry: Or do you guys think that's a little too extreme
Chris: Larry. You devious son of a gun! I'm in!
Tom: LETS DO THIS!!!

Comment

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It might be (and I bet we see iOS 9 beta 5 as soon as I post this) that iOS 9 beta 5 will be released 2 weeks from now and the OS X team wanted to put something out in between and not leave mac users a three week wait too?

Just a theory. My prediction is another two weeks for iOS.

If Apple doesn't sneak in a iOS 9 DP 5 in this week like they have right now for El Cap. The most likely date for iOS 9 DP 5 is next week. (Since it "normally is two weeks and it's been one so far since 4.)

Reactions: nordique
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.