Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alosii

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
UK
Games won't use Metal unless coded to use it. And no game has been updated to use it yet. So strange you would see a dramatic improvement in games already.

I too have seen much much better performance in some Blizzard games.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I too have seen much much better performance in some Blizzard games.

Probably only because OS X is running lighter because it's using less resources when on Metal, freeing up a bit more for the game. Blizzard hasn't implemented Metal yet and probably won't until the next WoW expansion (which probably won't start beta until end of this year/early next year) WoW is the first game they are bringing Metal to. With Diablo III, Starcraft II, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm to follow later. I'm guessing OverWatch will launch with Metal support as its not even in beta yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Weird. Could it be a temporary replacement for the boot argument so that developers don’t have to use the recovery system as long as the beta lasts? Using another Terminal command would defeat one of the purposes of SIP if programs can still prompt the user to change this and ask them to restart. Having this non-automatic connection to the off switch is what makes SIP so appealing as a security mechanism.

No, it really doesn't take that much to disable it via RecoveryOS, so that's not the reason. They could've just left boot args alone until the beta is done. A lot of effort for no benefits.

It's not yet clear what the purpose of adding this command is yet. We'll have to wait until the final release to see if Apple really just made SIP completely pointless with this command. It's idiotic to go all-in on this only to have it beaten by a simple permission prompt.

I don't know, but if this becomes an issue I can see a lot of power users won't bother upgrading. Personally, I really need system level access for a variety of reasons.

You have the option to disable it via the Recovery OS which Apple said is the proper method to disable SIP and will be persistent across OS updates. Like I said earlier, Apple already made it clear that boot args will not be supported on the first day El Cap was announced.

There is no issue here, it is happening the way Apple said it will.

thomsonr

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Sweet! Public should be tomorrow or the day after hopefully.

I actually really notice a big improvement in gaming performance in El Capitan vs Yosemite thanks to metal. Very solid so far.

I thought metal was only for new games created specifically to use it and that it wouldn't impact existing games. Or does it provide a boost for existing? Maybe you're just seeing better overall general performance.

Reactions: Tomapple

Tomapple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Santiago, Chile
Sweet! Public should be tomorrow or the day after hopefully.

I actually really notice a big improvement in gaming performance in El Capitan vs Yosemite thanks to metal. Very solid so far.
Don't games need to implement explicit support for Metal in order to gain in performance?

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Thanks.... my brother is a game developer as well. He's been working for Microsoft and (now) Disney Interactive. He's been in the business for about 25 years. He develops and tunes game engines. I trust his opinion on this one.

so the guy working for microsoft isn't interested in apples's graphics technology so apple really should switch to using something else... it all makes sense now. thanks for clearing that up.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
No, it really doesn't take that much to disable it via RecoveryOS, so that's not the reason. They could've just left boot args alone until the beta is done. A lot of effort for no benefits.

It's not yet clear what the purpose of adding this command is yet. We'll have to wait until the final release to see if Apple really just made SIP completely pointless with this command. It's idiotic to go all-in on this only to have it beaten by a simple permission prompt.

You have the option to disable it via the Recovery OS which Apple said is the proper method to disable SIP and will be persistent across OS updates. Like I said earlier, Apple already made it clear that boot args will not be supported on the first day El Cap was announced.

There is no issue here, it is happening the way Apple said it will.

I guess we should have tried it before we criticised Apple. Upon typing csrutil enable: “csrutil: failed to modify system integrity configuration. This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS.”

In other words, this is the operation from the recovery system and it works only there. Was it added only in the latest beta?

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Wonder what bug was so big they had to release a new update so fast.

Well, PB2 broke USB audio for me. 2 different professional audio interfaces from separate companies, RME and iConnect, unusable. Tested with different computers too. Not that I think that's what made them push this out so fast, but hopefully they squashed it. Can't work on music on the test systems until they do, or I get a FW interface.

Reactions: gman36

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
I guess we should have tried it before we criticised Apple. Upon typing csrutil enable: “csrutil: failed to modify system integrity configuration. This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS.”

In other words, this is the operation from the recovery system and it works only there. Was it added only in the latest beta?

It was added in DP3.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/11749

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
This one won't install for me. Does everything as normal, looks like it's installed, then when it reboots I'm still on the previous version and it's still showing in Software Upgrade

gman36

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Well, PB2 broke USB audio for me. 2 different professional audio interfaces from separate companies, RME and iConnect, unusable. Tested with different computers too. Not that I think that's what made them push this out so fast, but hopefully they squashed it. Can't work on music on the test systems until they do, or I get a FW interface.

Me too. Hopefully PB3 fixes it.

heymonroe

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Has anyone lost iCal events in the 'today' summary widget?

As of either DP4 or DP5 my 'today' calendar widget is only showing my exchange events, but not any events from my 2 standard iCal's (these aren't all day events, either.) Everything is kosher in the actual calendar and it definitely worked before DP4.

Anyone else seen this? Suggestions?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Has anyone lost iCal events in the 'today' summary widget?

As of either DP4 or DP5 my 'today' calendar widget is only showing my exchange events, but not any events from my 2 standard iCal's (these aren't all day events, either.) Everything is kosher in the actual calendar and it definitely worked before DP4.

Anyone else seen this? Suggestions?
Broken in PB3/DB5. As are reminders and the stock widget. Oh, and alert sounds on mail.

At least that's how it is for me.

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This one won't install for me. Does everything as normal, looks like it's installed, then when it reboots I'm still on the previous version and it's still showing in Software Upgrade
Looks like the same thing that happened to me when I installed DP4. The second time it installed it stuck.

ithink_different

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2015
In the recent DP5 (15A235d) a new bug seems to be introduced for Finder when dragging and dropping a folder from one window to another window (or desktop) with Three finger Drag enabled (in System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad options > Enable Dragging: With Three Finger)

I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm this Finder issue, so we can identify this as a bug.

EDIT: It seems drag/drop with three fingers is still possible, however with DP5 you now have to tap the trackpad (click) and then drag. I don't know if this is an intentional/useful change or result of a bug. It makes three finger drag requiring lot more effort - which defeats the purpose of accessibility. One finger tap and drag seems to still behave correctly as expected.

---
Tested in my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), Boot ROM MBP121.0167.B07
Configuration: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Last edited:

sebastiann01

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
in Safari, when u move a tab out to a new window using the trackpad, that Safari window gets messed up, anyone else have this problem

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I'm sorry, but these "upgrades" are so minor it's unbelievable they're actually releasing this as a newly named OS. Could care less about a new Notes app and where audio is coming from on the web. BFD.

Yeah, man. Such a rip-off, too, at a whopping $0,000.00!

Reactions: ErikGrim

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Have the links posted by tywebb (if I remember right) been deleted?

Yeah. The mods didn't like it.

Got banned too.

But I managed to get the ban lifted.

I know we are not allowed to change usernames on macrumors. But if we were, I'd change mine to

tywebbthephoenix

or

tywebbbackfromthedead.

Anyway, if you are still looking for those links, you'll find them in apple's developer forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.