Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Maybe it's in my head, I play Dota 2. It seems far more playable then it used to be on my integrated graphics MacBook Pro. It was a fairly unscientific test...

There's a good chance DOTA will be using Metal in the future. They for sure are seriously looking at Vulkan, the replacement for current OpenGL based on AMD's Mantel API. Apple is part of Khronos, so I expect at least some level of Vulkan implementation in future releases of OS X. In fact, I wish Apple would dump Metal and go purely with Vulkan. It would be a huge boon for game developers where they only had to deal with one API instead of three, or possibly four (DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan, and Metal). Since Steam, Blizzard, Sony, and many other major game developers are putting their weight behind Vulkan, it only makes logical sense for Apple to fully adopt Vulkan. I guess that is yet to be seen.

rbgaynor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Southern California
I personally have been experiencing the following:
* The Finder resize display issue someone else mentioned
* JPGs and PNGs not properly being recognized (Cannot do quick look, won't open in Preview, dropping them into messenger does send the file but doesn't show inline for me)
* Issues with folder icons in Applications (and elsewhere) not showing (showing as blank with the folder name underneath). Have occasionally seen this files on my Desktop as well

I was having similar problems with Beta 4, they appear to be fixed in Beta 5.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Apple apps in El Cap coded to use Metal is not the same as 3rd party games not yet coded to use Metal yet.

agreed, and any apps coded to use the Core libraries will automatically enjoy improved performance on El Cap without any additional coding. at least that is exactly what they said during the WWDC.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/08/apple-shares-full-wwdc-keynote-video/

start at 21:00

'With Metal, Apple machines will be able to accelerate Core Animation and Core Graphics, boosting system-level rendering by up to 50 percent, and efficiency by up to 40 percent.'

Last edited:

krabbenharry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Germany
System Settings will most likely crash, when you chance your Screen Saver. Occured during change from Flurry to Arabesque.

Crashing on exception: <RIPData 0x7fba88dc7240>: An -observeValueForKeyPath:eek:fObject:change:context: message was received but not handled.

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Bluetooth is completely broken for me. My menu bar icon states that it's not available and there's no option in System Preferences for it anymore.

Bluetooth is working fine for me. However, mail has yet to open. Went through the "updating database" and is just sitting. Didn't time it, but its been several minutes. One of the main reason I jump on Beta 5 was to fix mail.... Oh well, time will tell.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
1. Headers are not truncated in Activity Monitor
2. Font book no longer crashes
3. Finder's sidebar width is now retained properly each time.
4. Lookup three-finger tap is working in Safari

Overall, a much better update than the last one.

Reactions: jmh600cbr

krabbenharry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Germany
Bluetooth is working fine for me. However, mail has yet to open. Went through the "updating database" and is just sitting. Didn't time it, but its been several minutes. One of the main reason I jump on Beta 5 was to fix mail.... Oh well, time will tell.
took 1 second here.
have an ssd?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1. Headers are not truncated in Activity Monitor
2. Font book no longer crashes
3. Finder's sidebar width is now retained properly each time.
4. Lookup three-finger tap is working in Safari

Overall, a much better update than the last one.

I wonder why they figured to release DP 5 only one week after 4 and at such an odd time of day when so far it seems like minor fixes. (Minor but annoying)

krabbenharry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Germany
I wish I did have SSD. I'm at over 25 minutes now and mail still has not fully initialized. I would say 25 minutes it is a little more than "This may take a few minutes....." Stuck on Optimizing. Guess when it finally finishes I'll have the fastest Mail app ever!!!!

dang,guess the app hangs. check activity monitor and if necessary kill it

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Have they bothered to implement any of the features requested in THIS thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-new-features-would-you-like-to-see.1903102/

???
I doubt anybody involved in the development of El Capitan even knows that thread exists. Even if they did, they're not just going to add features this late in the game because a few people brought it up in a forum thread. If you have any expectations of that kind of thing happening, you're going to continually be disappointed.

Submit feedback from the public beta, and you might get lucky if enough people have the same requests.

Reactions: milo and shandyman

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
There's a good chance DOTA will be using Metal in the future. They for sure are seriously looking at Vulkan, the replacement for current OpenGL based on AMD's Mantel API. Apple is part of Khronos, so I expect at least some level of Vulkan implementation in future releases of OS X. In fact, I wish Apple would dump Metal and go purely with Vulkan. It would be a huge boon for game developers where they only had to deal with one API instead of three, or possibly four (DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan, and Metal). Since Steam, Blizzard, Sony, and many other major game developers are putting their weight behind Vulkan, it only makes logical sense for Apple to fully adopt Vulkan. I guess that is yet to be seen.

you mean drop what they started a year before Vulkan was even an idea to satisfy the other half who put the idea together as a oh sh** we need a response to Metal? Apple are leaders, not followers.

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
dang,guess the app hangs. check activity monitor and if necessary kill it

It finally came back!!! Still some lag in displaying messages though, it is better than on DP 4. I'll give it a day to burn in and see how it does. Now off to test Parallels. Running off of Wifi now too to see if my problems with it are resolved.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder why they figured to release DP 5 only one week after 4 and at such an odd time of day when so far it seems like minor fixes. (Minor but annoying)

It is possible Apple managed to fix all of these minor bugs shortly after DB4 and PB2 were released and instead of getting more duplicate bug reports on bugs already fixed (as you said, they're just annoying), they decided to release DB5 to cut down on the reports. That way, everyone focus on other bugs that hasn't been found. I'd suspect PB3 will be out on Wed.

I rather have more frequent beta updates to get rid of these bugs sooner, so we can find other bugs.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you mean drop what they started a year before Vulkan was even an idea to satisfy the other half who put the idea together as a oh sh** we need a response to Metal? Apple are leaders, not followers.

That and Blizzard is fully backing Metal and a couple other studios. I imagine many others will follow suit eventually as well (if they do make Mac clients for their games.)

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
Maybe it's in my head, I play Dota 2. It seems far more playable then it used to be on my integrated graphics MacBook Pro. It was a fairly unscientific test...
The graphics underpinnings are being moved from OpenGL to Metal with a fallback on platforms that don't have the hardware to support it it.

So it's entirely possible for games to feel faster.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It is possible Apple managed to fix all of these minor bugs shortly after DB4 and PB2 were released and instead of getting more duplicate bug reports on bugs already fixed (as you said, they're just annoying), they decided to release DB5 to cut down on the reports. That way, everyone focus on other bugs that hasn't been found. I'd suspect PB3 will be out on Wed.

I rather have more frequent beta updates to get rid of these bugs sooner, so we can find other bugs.

Could be.

I also would rather more frequent updates to beta. Gets the stupid little things out of the way quicker and gives us testers something to play with more often (keeps the excitement up)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.