Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Deleted all my Bluetooth preferences, restarted, and everything is now good. Weird, never had that issue but guess it was just me.

I had the same issue as you with Bluetooth seemingly gone from System Preferences and showing as "not available" in the menu bar. A reboot randomly fixed the issue. I think it's just beta bugs.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
This update slowed my MBA and my iMac drastically.
The apps open slower, the system doesn't feel so snappy as before.

Maybe this is an effect of bug fixing :)

Yospuig

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Games won't use Metal unless coded to use it. And no game has been updated to use it yet. So strange you would see a dramatic improvement in games already.
i don't actually think the improved game performance is related to Metal yet, but definitely something is going on for good on 10.11, playing WoW at max settings (except for shadows + 1920x1080) on an AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, couldn't do the same with the same GPU and 10.10.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
As stated earlier, games need to be updated to support Metal. Any performance improvements noticed so far are probably due to updated graphics drivers.
Again, incorrect!

The entire imaging model has been moved to Metal with a fallback to OpenGL for device which do not support Metal.

So even non OpenGL based apps will see improvements on some hardware!

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Can someone point me to the site where there are direct downloads as my app store isn't working happy. Thanks!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Seems "rootless=0" was removed, didn't work for me.

hmm... not good.

1. Apple clearly stated in their security session from the beginning that nvram boot args command will be removed from El Cap, so rootless=0 was never going to be supported in the first place.
2. The only place to disable SIP is through RecoveryOS. But it looks like they might have added a new terminal command to handle SIP via terminal recently, it is now via `csrutil`. If you type `csrutil status` in terminal, you'll see the status of SIP. `csrutil disable` will disable SIP for you.

Reactions: Fangio

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
I have still problem w/ unresponsive trackpad after sleep. Its happened since beta 3 and dunno how to resolve this problem.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
But it looks like they might have added a new terminal command to handle SIP via terminal recently, it is now via `csrutil`. If you type `csrutil status` in terminal, you'll see the status of SIP. `csrutil disable` will disable SIP for you.

Weird. Could it be a temporary replacement for the boot argument so that developers don’t have to use the recovery system as long as the beta lasts? Using another Terminal command would defeat one of the purposes of SIP if programs can still prompt the user to change this and ask them to restart. Having this non-automatic connection to the off switch is what makes SIP so appealing as a security mechanism.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Weird. Could it be a temporary replacement for the boot argument so that developers don’t have to use the recovery system as long as the beta lasts? Using another Terminal command would defeat one of the purposes of SIP if programs can still prompt the user to change this and ask them to restart. Having this non-automatic connection to the off switch is what makes SIP so appealing as a security mechanism.
I don't know, but if this becomes an issue I can see a lot of power users won't bother upgrading. Personally, I really need system level access for a variety of reasons.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I'm sorry, but these "upgrades" are so minor it's unbelievable they're actually releasing this as a newly named OS. Could care less about a new Notes app and where audio is coming from on the web. BFD.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I don't know, but if this becomes an issue I can see a lot of power users won't bother upgrading. Personally, I really need system level access for a variety of reasons.

That’s not the point I was making. SIP can be completely switched off in the recovery system. Apple is committed to that possibility. But when a malicious program can still trick the user into giving it their root password and the that program switches off SIP and asks the user to restart, SIP is defeated. Apple specifically said that root cannot be trusted.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
That’s not the point I was making. SIP can be completely switched off in the recovery system. Apple is committed to that possibility. But when a malicious program can still trick the user into giving it their root password and the that program switches off SIP and asks the user to restart, SIP is defeated. Apple specifically said that root cannot be trusted.
Well if it "tricks" me, I deserve what I get. :D

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Well I happen to work in the gaming industry for what it's worth and any well written game worth supporting on more then one platform has no problem doing that. Let's assume you are a game developer who doesn't want to learn something new and porting your game to take advantage of Metal won't bring you enough profit to justify it. I don't think the API matters at all.

Thanks.... my brother is a game developer as well. He's been working for Microsoft and (now) Disney Interactive. He's been in the business for about 25 years. He develops and tunes game engines. I trust his opinion on this one.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm sorry, but these "upgrades" are so minor it's unbelievable they're actually releasing this as a newly named OS. Could care less about a new Notes app and where audio is coming from on the web. BFD.

I'm sure there's stuff in other releases that you were excited about and others didn't care and questioned why it was being treated as a big release. Luckily, the world doesn't revolve around you....

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
2. The only place to disable SIP is through RecoveryOS. But it looks like they might have added a new terminal command to handle SIP via terminal recently, it is now via `csrutil`. If you type `csrutil status` in terminal, you'll see the status of SIP. `csrutil disable` will disable SIP for you.
Thanks for this, the status command for SIP is actually quite useful.

Last edited:

moophone

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
I don't see this update in the app store, and I can't install it from apple developer because the code has already been redeemed. I think installing the public preview messed up my enrollment for the app store. I tried re-installing the developer beta from june24 by option-clicking in the purchases, but its still not updating. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.