Apple Seeds Fifth OS X El Capitan Beta to Public Beta Testers [Update: Pulled]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2015.

1. GatorGhost macrumors regular

GatorGhost

Mine is showing version 5. Also, Safari has been updated from pub beta 4.

2. Michael Kummer macrumors newbie

Michael Kummer

Yep, I'm having the same issue with PB 4. Hoping PB5 fixes it. Update appears to have stalled on my iMac tho...

3. sss4r macrumors regular

Yep, PTPCamera uses CPU time. If I have the phone and two tablets plugged in at the same time, there are three PTPCamera processes using about 10% CPU each (quad 4GHz i7), each must be quit manually. I submitted a bug report but was closed as a duplicate and hoping the fix will make it into the very next update.

4. Arn0 macrumors regular

Arn0

PTPCamera bug is fixed with this beta.

5. sss4r macrumors regular

Just curious, how do you know?

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

I do understand, that's why I also mentioned Retina scaling because I know that Windows doesn't do the same amount of scaling work that OS X has to do. OS X is more complete and consistent for sure but honestly, I would rather have a faster and responsive GUI than a flashy one. Apple needs to do shorter and quicker animations or provide an option to disable them all at once. Reduce transparency doesn't do it.

Just the opening tab alone in Safari is slower than Firefox and Chrome on OS X. If you CMD+Click, it is faster. That's the thing I don't like about OS X, it makes OS X slower than it should be, there are so many areas where OS X is slower because it has to perform an animation first.

The fact that I don't care about incomplete animations on Windows tells me that it really makes no impact on me and Apple needs to rethink about this.

7. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

8. Arn0 macrumors regular

Arn0

I always had PTPCamera to 10%, 15% with an iPhone plugged. Now it stays at 0%.

9. foozipper macrumors member

Oh. Apple pulled Public Beta 5 (Build 15A262c) on CDN:confused:

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

Anybody feeling like Apple is going to postpone this to next week because they messed up today? I'm hoping they'll release both PB5/DB7 today but it is starting to feel like they've done for the day.

11. Eithanius macrumors 65816

You can disable at least some of the animations using a terminal command... Just google "Disable New Window Animation"...

12. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Nah... Tomorrow more likely... for DP7, worse case scenario PB5 2 days from now...

13. sss4r macrumors regular

By now you mean what? You said the fix is in DP7 but that hasn't come out yet. Sorry I'm not understanding.

14. graywolf323 macrumors member

graywolf323

weird, I had it downloaded and Messages prevented the restart so once I closed messages I tried to restart and it disappeared

guess I just had bad timing with when it got pulled, hopefully it wiped the download so it's not still taking up hard drive space or anything

15. Arn0 macrumors regular

Arn0

I'm running El Capitan PB 5 15A262c.

16. Michael Kummer macrumors newbie

Michael Kummer

Anyone's update to PB5 stuck at "Installing Software Update: About 8 Minutes"? Mine has been stuck for ~30mins on a black screen. Since I have cloned my drive just this morning I'm about to force reboot and potentially risk restoring from backup.

17. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I am not having any problems with the update and have no Safari Welcome Page. Seems like just another update to me.

Finally have sound back for notifications.

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

19. Ragnar51 macrumors member

Ragnar51

How about fixing the messed up Messages application???

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Go to /Library/Updates , maybe it is still there, if that is the case you can still install it manually. :)

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

What's wrong with your Messages app? I have no issues with it.

22. Ragnar51 macrumors member

Ragnar51

Howdy, mine and several of my friends have not worked in months. We are on different ISP and have tried different types of accounts (AIM, Google,Etc.) and we can no longer video chat or do screen sharing. Apples only response has been to reinstall OS X which did nada.

23. Ragnar51 macrumors member

Ragnar51

Sorry guys, I probably should not have put this in an ElCapitan thread but my blood pressure is really up!

24. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

25. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think it might still come later in the day. Apple has released beta updates as late as 5PM PDT (8PM EDT), but it'll probably just be the Dev Beta. The Public Beta will come either tomorrow, Thursday or next week. I highly doubt they will hold out until next week to release it, but I am curious to know what they found that caused them to put both updates on the ice. Massive security hole?