Apple Seeds Fifth OS X El Capitan Beta to Public Beta Testers [Update: Pulled]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I don't see why Apple would release a free-user PUBLIC beta before a developer beta, given developers have always had early access, and they pay $99/year to have this kind of such early access!

3. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

Anything. I suspect that an issue was found at the last moment that warranted waiting a day (or whatever) to fix it. I'd rather have Apple realize it, pull it, and fix it then let it slip through and say, 'oh well, we'll fix it in the next update'. This is especially true if the problem was critical (mail doesn't work, can't access settings, etc.).

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

My guess is that this is the reason.

5. GhostRaider macrumors 6502

I don't know but if a lot of people already downloaded Public Beta 5 then might as well release it even if it was a mistake. Next time they can give DP priority again.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well, one it was a slip up, and two the Public builds are usually one build behind. They have the same consumer facing features, however the dev build is technically newer. Every DB and PB for both Yosemite and El Cap have been like this.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Security hole in the mere minutes after releasing the update? Extremely not likely, these are the things they review before they say yes to releasing the build, they have a checklist and go-ahead from various teams before releasing builds.

My guess is that it was an accidental release, Apple almost never released a new PB before the DB. I think someone got something mixed up and then flipped the switch to pull the build. They're taking the time to re-run the review and make sure everything's good to go.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

In my theory, it's possible the build they released had a security hole (that's only an example) so they pulled it back to fix it, but it ended up getting accidentally being pushed out anyway. IIRC, there was one point in the Yosemite Public Beta where we did get 2 PB updates between 2 DB released but they were both based off similar builds. I could be wrong, but I remember something like that last year.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I just want this to turn off the shake to find mouse feature. So obnoxious.

10. marcelvelky macrumors member

marcelvelky

i have atdl this PB, it works fine though, Adobe AEX works for me.

11. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You don't know how happy I am that Apple actually listened to us, and enabled an option to allow DISABLING the shake cursor zooming feature. The deal is so annoying...it's not much a problem on MacBooks, but on a desktop with a Laser Mouse, it can be very annoying. Previously, I could find no way in the OS to disable the feature, which came across as a flaw in the system. I even used Yosemite for the first few builds through and now for the past 2-3 weeks been picking up El Capitan as my primary system...still have a special place in my heart for Yosemite. I like the old system font better too. Easier to see!!

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yes, but when you upgrade to the next DP it removes that and you have to do it again. At least thats how its been for me. Might have to do with the fact that I went from a PB to DP. So with this next update its just a toggle.

Same with my custom screen calibration on my MBA.

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why is it obnoxious?

I lose my mouse cursor many times a day. Say, when it turns to a caret over text and it's similarly colored to the background.

It's SUPPOSED to be easy to see when you shake your mouse.

What are you doing shaking your mouse that you see this all the time?

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

For whatever reason mine is super sensitive on my iMac, but not MBA. On my iMac just move the cursor really quickly from one side of the screen to the other activates its.

16. Razeus macrumors 603

Knowing Apple these days, something was probably broken and bugged.

17. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Interesting. I've only installed El Capitan on my Mac Mini with an external mouse - and it only activates when I want it to.

Maybe it has something to do with the particular mouse? I remember having a Microsoft Mouse at one time that I couldn't stand. The cursor was hard to move in a straight line - it kept jiggling and shaking all the time. Any other movement was fine, just straight lines was bad.

Maybe it's that - or I have to worry when I start installing on other machines?

18. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

That's a feature I'm really looking forward to. Certain combinations of apps can make some mouse cursors difficult to see.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Its possible my magic mouse is just faulty. It is really old.

20. Sloppy.Joe macrumors regular

Sloppy.Joe

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Magic Trackpad on a Mac Pro here. No problems here. I am able to move my cursor between my two monitors really quick and it doesn't explode. Only when I move it side to side really quick in one area does it active it. It hasn't been a big deal one way or the other for me because I haven't really needed to use it.

22. thesprawl13 macrumors newbie

Anyone have a link to download the public beta 5 file?

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You will need to wait until it is officially released. Asking for, and discussing acquiring files outside of proper protocol is against the rules.

24. MacinMan macrumors regular

I'm a little bit confused here, I take it apple released the public beta then pulled it , then i heard it was released again. but it's not showing up for me, so is it officially pulled until further notice ?

I'm trying to figure out based on these comments.

Thanks

25. asmundma macrumors newbie

Well, I think I know why it was withdrawn. I downloaded, installing stalled 8 min before complete. Had to turn the machine off, then it tried again, but luckily it rolled back to the previous version aften 1-2 attempts.