Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LauraJean

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Denver, CO
There is an option in the setup window.
[doublepost=1498770916][/doublepost]

As far as I know, there were some problems on (dev) beta 2, related to the new file system, so people had troubles downgrading to 10.12. The first public beta is actually a new build which was released earlier today, so probably this bug is fixed. I don't think Apple will release a public beta if it cannot be downgraded. There is a manual how to downgrade on Apple's website (https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/restore).

Although, if you really rely on the machine you want to install High Sierra Public Beta on, I would suggest you to wait 'till later betas or 'till the official release. The current beta is still a little bit sluggish. What's more, as it's not yet optimised for a public release, it uses significant energy, which leads to shorter battery life and overheating (at least on MacBooks).

And with macOS 10.12.6 coming in the following week or two, there'll be something new to play with, even if it's not as exciting as 10.13.
[doublepost=1498775333][/doublepost]why can't the 10.12.6 upgrade include the feature to block these lousy autoplay videos?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
[doublepost=1498775333][/doublepost]why can't the 10.12.6 upgrade include the feature to block these lousy autoplay videos?

The Auto-Play feature is available in the upcoming Safari 11. macOS Sierra (10.12) has version 10 included.
You can try the Safari Technology Preview (https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/). Safari Technology Preview gives you an early look at upcoming web technologies. It is aimed for developers, but you can use it side-by-side with the current version of Safari, so if you have any problems with it - you can always uninstall it, without the need of installing the current (stable) version again.

Reactions: mdriftmeyer

OperatorJ81

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
You like to live on the wild side, it seems...

Naaaaah. My younger days of jumping out of airplanes and traveling to some of the most dangerous countries in the world are over. New laptop gets here tomorrow. I will have minimum impact even if it caught fire.

Reactions: IG88

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I assume iTunes carried within high Sierra cannot save metadata changes across multiple items, such as multiple albums, or multiple genres.
I would like to see how long it will take for Apple to fix this annoying bug. Or broken feature rather.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So I can't install the High Sierra beta either. I get that stupid message too.

"The installer information on the recovery server is damaged."

Just what the hell does that mean?!?

BTW, booting off a USB 3 HD is slow, but is acceptable for testing purposes. However, booting the same drive off of USB 2 is utterly painful.

why can't the 10.12.6 upgrade include the feature to block these lousy autoplay videos?
They may release that on Sierra. When the launch a new OS version in the fall, they usually also update Safari on the previous version of the OS to bring them to relative parity.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I would say High Sierra doesn't have enough fun new features to justify the inherent risk of playing around with a beta. Backups are well and good, but it's a hassle if you actually end up having to use them.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I would say High Sierra doesn't have enough fun new features to justify the inherent risk of playing around with a beta. Backups are well and good, but it's a hassle if you actually end up having to use them.
I have two cloned backups of my main boot drive. I'm using one of the clones as the boot disk to test High Sierra. I'm mainly interested to see QuickTime and its new codec support, Photos and HEIF support, and whether or not my old copies of Photoshop CS4 and Office 2011 as well as my work VPN software still work. I'd keep the system on HFS+ to maximize compatibility as I hear that Office will get borked on APFS.

Unfortunately, I can't install the High Sierra public beta, and I get that message:

The installer information on the recovery server is damaged.

EDIT:

It turns out it was because the machine was not registered for the beta. Enrolled for the beta on this machine just now, and the installer has begun.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcctre

garethh

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2006
UK
The installer information on the recovery server is damaged.

I got that message but I re-enrolled the computer (it downloaded the beta utility and I installed it) and it allowed me to install. It is still installing so I hope it ends up ok.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
F'ed up my MacBook Air. When installing, it rebooted with an error, now every time I boot, and login, I get what looks like dos/command line text, and it tells me there was an error, to wait or reboot. Endless cycle. Pressing Shift while booting up to try to get into safe mode doesn't do anything either, same issue. Suggestions to get back to a working copy of Sierra OS?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
F'ed up my MacBook Air. When installing, it rebooted with an error, now every time I boot, and login, I get what looks like dos/command line text, and it tells me there was an error, to wait or reboot. Endless cycle. Pressing Shift while booting up to try to get into safe mode doesn't do anything either, same issue. Suggestions to get back to a working copy of Sierra OS?
Boot off external drive. You have one with a bootable install right? If not, what above the recovery partition?

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
Just updated to High Sierra from 10.12.5. Everything went smoothly. So far, I haven't seen any major issues. The conversion to APFS went without a hitch.

DJCoolGuy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
Slowed my iMac to a crawl. Also, Mail is taking forever to actually show my mail. Avoid this update!

I think it has to do with the 2 TB fusion drive, perhaps everything got moved onto the non-SSD portion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.