Apple Seeds First macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

10.13 feels like an alpha a bit, maybe 10.13.1 will feel like a beta..
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    TM won't work on APFS even if the drive is an SSD. I lost my TM data testing this theory out and had to start from scratch back to a HFS format.

2. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

Why? I thought older versions of macOS have the problem as well?

3. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Of course not. But that *is* a feature that's coming in an update, and it's one that some people look forward to, so I can't avoid it. No new emoji in this update, though, and I can promise not to mention them again until they launch.

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

5. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

If I run this, will it show in the App store update and going forward would I be on the Developer schedule?

6. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

This week...I finally upgraded my office Mac mini from Snow Leopard to...El Capitan. :)
    (Shock: I quite like it!)
    So I guess I'm not really in the "early adopter" crowd. Enjoy High Sierra all!

7. FCX macrumors newbie

FCX

If the TM storage volume is HFS+ (as it has always been), you can run backups of APFS (and HFS+) volumes to it. Just don't reformat your TM storage, and you can back up whatever you like. Which you now know from experience. ;)

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's how it should work, yes.

9. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This is the update I'm waiting for. Way less bugs in the .1 releases.

10. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

You are right. I didn't know that.

11. mithion, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

mithion macrumors member

I can't say for sure what the issue is for exchange, but I came across a thread that suggested Exchange 2016's switch to NTLM over HTTP2.0 is what is causing issues. There's an option to enable HTTP1.1 from the server side which supposedly makes everything work. But my colleague and I determined we don't want to enable legacy stuff. Since exchange 2016 has been out for a while, it's apple that needs to fix their client. What I don't understand is that the iOS mail client works fine (minus the bug that patched today in iOS 11 but that's a different issue I believe). Why isn't the macOS client working?

EDIT: Here's the thread I've been reading https://social.technet.microsoft.co...d-apple-mail-and-safari-only?forum=Exch2016CM

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What???
    It works, I have a samsung pro in my 2012 MBP, works.(Even Trim works)

13. flexiboy1912 macrumors newbie

flexiboy1912

been on it for months and not a single crash very stable as it has been for lots of others

14. haddy macrumors regular

Fair enough but the GM release of High Sierra is working really well on my machines....Macbook Air,27/21''iMacs. The APFS has made a definite improvement in the finder speed and [touch wood] is stable.

15. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I agree, I'm actually wondering if messing with it by running betas will F it up.

16. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Yup, I actually APFS'ed all my external data SSD's which I hope I don't regret. So far ok, but I wish I knew not to do the TM one too. Seems kind of odd that Apple didn't get that function ready for this release simultaneously.

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you're concerned about potential issues and have only one system, then don't run betas. Usually the 10.x.x betas are much less issue-prone than 10.x betas, but I've still had issues occasionally.

18. originspast macrumors newbie

It's because iOS uses ActiveSync, I guess.

19. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Thanks, I'm well versed on the topic and am backed up to kingdom come. I got it. I have been running High Sierra since June. I was pretty much saying that tongue in cheek.

20. R3k macrumors 6502a

They’re putting work into unifying macOS and iOS which is great. And modernizing their file system. And bringing sorely missed features from the defunct aperture into the photos app. All good changes.

21. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

There is some rumor that APFS relies on firmware contained in Apple OEM SSDs for error correction - 3rd party SSDs don’t contain this firmware and could lead to eventual data loss.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/do-i-use-apfs/

22. ElCani macrumors member

This happened to me. I installed the public beta a couple of weeks ago and was left with a basically unusable machine, particularly Safari. Rogue Amoeba was trying and failing to update Instant On, but I didn’t realise that it was the cause of the general slowness. Ended up restoring from TM and didn’t upgrade until yesterday (after updating all third-party apps). Everything working fine now.

23. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Nice, thanks, it worked.

24. fizzyfizz macrumors member

fizzyfizz

Anyone else having problems with the updated Photos app? It's running really slow on my 2011 MacBook Air. The previous version ran fine.

25. Mattstrete macrumors member

I was being facetious.