Apple Seeds First macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

This update focuses on enterprise issues, particularly Active Directory.

2. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more and it's the same every time. When we pay our ransom to Adobe every month, it should at least be paying for timely updates and patches. I know there are alternatives but their apps are industry standard, no way round that for the professional.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I use both those apps, HEAVILY, with no issues at all.

Not everyone is experiencing the problems listed. In most cases, it's specific to the person/people complaining because of their particular setup.

4. kingjames1970, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

kingjames1970 macrumors regular

Ok thanks. I'll dive in with my iMac, not a production machine so I'll see how it goes - cheers.

Just saw this so maybe the Drobo issue isn't one after all. https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...matted-mac-with-a-pre-apfs-apple-time-capsule

5. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Blame the haters on this one. No new features? Apple is not innovating anymore!!!!

6. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

APFS is presently disallowed on Fusion drives, with support to come later. APFS does now work on HDD's, though the conversion isn't automatic.

My take on this: APFS on Fusion is likely broken, while APFS on HDD might merely benchmark slower than HFS.

Nothing wrong with a slow staged rollout. Think of 10.13.0 as the "silent" upgrade of SSDs. 10.13.x can silently upgrade HDDs. 10.13.y can silently upgrade Fusion drives. It is better to release in stages, rather than waiting until everything's perfect.

7. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I never understand the need for updating a production system to the newest OS on the release day. Or release week. Or even release quarter. I do it because I do not make my living off just one system, I like being on the latest and I anticipate issues. If it was an actual system that I depend on for my work, I would probably update after a year or two.

8. Dimka macrumors newbie

Dimka

I've done a fresh install of High Sierra on my MacBook Air, and encounter tons of pretty bad bugs.
    The hardware was working pretty well with Sierra, not fundamental issues. But now it's all broken. I had freezes, finder crashed, keyboard malfunction, problems with installing apps (any app, I guess it actually was finder issue). I had to reboot multiple times.
    It's pretty bad for release that many people call the maintenance one.

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

[QUOTE="curmudgeonette, post: 25138430, member: 1014913"

It is better to release in stages, rather than waiting until everything's perfect.[/QUOTE]
    hmm . .I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My observation is that over the past decade, generally speaking, as OSX updates are coming more frequently, the overall stability has gone inversely to the update cycle. Just as one version is nearing pretty good stability, they put up an updated version that tears it right back down again. I've never understood this, but must admit I'm following along blindly.

10. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

Sorry. Yesterday was a long day.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Ah, I think we're saying the same thing. You can't have an APFS Time Machine. You can, however, have an HFS Time Machine and backup an APFS startup volume to it.

11. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I really hope Apple can fix ASAP the issues with the Fusion drives and APFS, Microsoft Office and some of the Pro applications. for the sake of the adopters...:eek::oops:

12. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

That’s exactly the point with High Sierra, there are actually close to no user-oriented features.

13. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I view it as a more stable Sierra. I agree, High Sierra is exactly what he is bitching about wishing they would do.

14. Agent2015 macrumors 6502

Agent2015

Killed? That might be overstating your issues a tad. Might I request that you provide more facts regarding your experiences with High Sierra. Your post as written helps no one. In my case I have been running High Sierra on a 2017 MacBook Pro 15", 2011 MacBook Pro 17" (ssd) and on a 2012 Mac mini (ssd) since the first High Sierra beta through the GM candidate, final and now 10.13.1 Beta 1 with only minor glitches during the early betas. High Sierra has solid, reliable, and fluid on all 3 computers since the final beta and now on 10.13.1 Beta 1. I my experience High Sierra has been an excellent release cycle if the not the best compared to others in recent memory.
    I have no issues with Samsung EVO and Crucial ssd devices in 2011 MacBook Pro 17" and 2012 Mac mini. Both were automatically converted to APFS during install of High Sierra. I manually enabled TRIM support after first reboot. Flawless performance.

15. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I ALWAYS perform a clean install. ALWAYS. Even on Windows. Upgrades always are asking for trouble. I am sure 90% of people's issues would go away if they performed a clean install.

16. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

Some people seem to speak before thinking. Its tiring having to read the same useless opinions every year.

17. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I am dropping Photoshop and Illustrator for Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Even on my Windows machines I find the Adobe programs laggy and buggy.

18. Agent2015 macrumors 6502

Agent2015

No issues reconnecting to configured wifi on 3 computers upgraded to 10.13.1 Beta 1.
    No problems whatsoever on my 2017 MacBook Pro 15", 2011 MacBook Pro 17" (ssd) and 2012 Mac mini (ssd). More than likely your problems stem from incompatible software that either needs to be updated or removed. Before blaming High Sierra try a clean install to test. Once you are satisfied do a restore from Time Machine or whatever you use for backup. You are backing up right?

19. Bindira macrumors newbie

Bindira

I’m using golden master of Mac OS High Sierra I want to update to the final version of Mac OS High Sierra but when it’s finished to download file im trying to open for installation it takes me again to the play store to download again file i have tried so many times without hope

Please somebody help me please

20. Agent2015 macrumors 6502

Agent2015

Is there a copy of Install macOS High Sierra.app in your Applications folder after you download from the App Store? If so you can run it directly from there without downloading again. Just an idea...

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502a

chucker23n1

Anyone check if 10.13.1 includes improved tooling for APFS? Is there a diskutil apfs mergeContainers, maybe?

What MS Office issues?

22. Bindira macrumors newbie

Bindira

Yeah I find it in application folder but when I’m trying to open it it’s fail to open it takes me again to the play store

23. ATXmac macrumors newbie

Likely some crap software you have installed somewhere, not anything Apple did.

24. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

From the 10.13.1 beta release notes -

"The Mac App Store no longer delivers developer betas to your Mac."

25. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502a

chucker23n1

I mean, that's probably just poorly-worded. It's in the section "Stop receiving beta updates". So what they mean is probably "if you've followed the above steps, you will no longer receive further developer betas".