Apple Seeds First macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

After updating 10.13 to 10.13.1 beta 1 I was unable to join wifi.

Tried restarting computer. That didn't work.

Tried tuning wifi off and on again. That didn't work.

What eventually worked was restarting the modem.

But I never had to do that before after a mac os update. I've had all the betas from 10.7.2 right up to 10.13 and after every update wifi connected automatically.

Something bad happened going from 10.13 to 10.13.1 requiring a modem restart. Don't know why. At least I got it working again. Otherwise I would have been downgrading to 10.13 again. No need now.

Anyone else experiencing wifi problems like this when going from 10.13 to 10.13.1?

2. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I just finished installing it. Bigger and longer than I thought. It actually took two tries. First download was 2GB. On reboot, I got "about 2 minutes remaining". Then the screen went black, fans running for about two minutes, then a boot with no update. Second try download was 1.5GB download and it took about 30 minutes to install.

The 2GB unsuccessful first try and 1.5GB successful second try used to happen more than a few times when installing pre-release betas. I think it's weird that the size of the update changed.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

We found a password change issue with High Sierra in our domain environment.l with Enterprise Connect. I’m hoping this fixes that.
    Wait so you don’t know what it is so how are you sure you haven’t had one? :confused: Having a kernel panic when you control the hardware and software is never a good thing. They are very rare in Solaris and HP-UX.

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

No. It's not weird.

What actually downloads are the following files:

macOSUpd10.13.1.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg (492.6 MB)
    macOSUpd10.13.1.pkg (1.17 GB)
    EmbeddedOSFirmware.pkg (59.3 MB)
    FullBundleUpdate.pkg (110.3 MB)
    FirmwareUpdate.pkg (200.5 MB)

of which the latter 4 have to install together. The first one however can be installed independently.

So I think what probably happened was you got the lot at first (or at least most of it), but only the first one installed.

Then the second time around it didn't need to download the first one because that was already installed. It just got the rest of it and that would explain the change in size of the update the second time around.

5. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Ahh, thank you for the explanation. My updates seem to go this way more often lately.

6. bradley8795, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

bradley8795 macrumors member

Worked for me.....downloading now. I pray they fixed the issue where my USBC monitor doesn't work.

Edit: Nope still not working. Can't believe nobody else is having this issue, I must be the only person that bought the HP Envy USB-C monitor.

7. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

My fans have been a blazing since installed. I hope the Safari 100% CPU bug isn’t back.

8. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I’m also imaging to a TC over WiFi so hopefully that’s it.

9. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

It’s ok, though it irritates us, it is irritating humor. Just like the launch of ‘watch bands’. :). Keeps it real.

10. Mizhou macrumors member

Don't count too much on public beta testers. Many of them only download the public betas because they're curious, and they don't ever report bugs to Apple. Some public beta testers do, but most don't.

I think there are new models for object recognition, so the new version of Photos scans all of your photo library to see if there are new stuff to index. That means it will be slow until it has reindexed all of your photos.

11. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

only issue i have had so far with high sierra is a work version of MS Outlook said it weren't compatible with high sierra and since i don't have the upgraded version i just hardly cared as i dropped it in the trash, garbage MS products always something wrong. in general high sierra is quite a bit faster at launching apps and all sorts of things like rendering web pages, booting, wake from sleep, ... it's a good upgrade so far for me.

12. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

High Sierra has been disastrous for my iMac to the point that I'm now considering the first clean install in 5 years. Not what I expected of an OS meant to fix underlying problems and improve the system. It did the opposite. Should've stayed on Sierra.

I'm looking forward to this point update. I mean, it can't get any worse... can it?

13. abouhashem macrumors newbie

abouhashem

No! don’t fresh install. I felt the same after updating. just wait for hours and you will change your mind. It was super slow and I regret to update but now I am very happy with the performance. And I compare it to another M ac which still has Sierra. I think it’s indexing now and this depends on the number of data you have on your Mac. so you just wait

14. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yes. It can get worse. Apparently you can’t redownload Sierra anymore: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/macos-sierra-decoupled-from-apple-id/

15. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

16. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

17. Jerry Fritschle macrumors member

Not installing Trojans is also conducive to security :)

18. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

I just delete the "Apple Color Emoji.ttf." As long as you don't open the character picker, you'll be fine.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I agree.
    The new Photos could have been made available on Sierra (or El Cap), I'm sure.
    Same goes for Metal 2.

APFS is something different. But I have two thoughts on that:
    1. Ruhsed into releasing it.
    Apple have backed out of supporting APFS on HDD just before the final release, and publicly have stated it will come later...

2. APFS was a "silent" upgrade on iOS.
    Wouldn't it have been a possibility to "silently" upgrade macOS 10.13 (or whatever version...) with APFS later?

It's all marketing, of course.
    But it feels that because of this "must announce at WWDC, must release in the fall" Apple are scrambling for new features and forcing them into a "new OS" that the user must upgrade to. That, in turn, sparks buggy releases.

For the majority of users, the decent thing to do is wait until the .2 update. Most bugs squashed, most apps updated.

20. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Welcome to the modern world - where everyone passes the buck.

21. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of complaints, and I feel bad for the affected users, but I feel like I should mention (so that it doesn't seem like this release is a disaster for everyone), that High Sierra seems to have breathed new life into my late 2013 MBP - it's faster than ever before, presumably due to APFS, and I appreciate all of the new features.

22. Kangastu macrumors member

Kangastu

Adobe software not being compatible with High Sierra is a joke! They've had literally months to get the software compatible. Thankfully I've only seen a couple of issues since upgrading - but they should have been ready with a day one patch. It's not like they didn't know it was coming and an exact date at that!

23. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

--- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    No such problem - straightforward update here.

24. fhall1, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You do realize this issue affects versions of macOS before High Sierra right? Holding off on installing for that fix isn't much of a reason.

EDIT: I see others have beat me to this....