Apple Seeds First Public Beta of watchOS 7 to Public Beta Testers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first public beta of an upcoming watchOS 7 update to public beta testers, one week after seeding the fourth beta to developers and a month and a half after the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update can be downloaded after installing the proper profile from Apple's Public Beta website. watchOS 7 should not be installed on a primary device as it is still an early beta and there could be bugs.

watchOS 7 is a major update that introduces a new Sleep Tracking feature for the Apple Watch, which is designed to measure how long you're asleep as you wear the Apple Watch while sleeping.

It comes along with a Wind Down feature that helps you establish a bedtime routine to make it easier to fall asleep at night, as well as a Sleep Mode that turns on Do Not Disturb and dims the Apple Watch display.

The Apple Watch can also wake you up with haptic vibrations, providing a weather report in the morning as well as info on battery life so you can get your day started.

Along with these sleep tracking features, the Apple Watch has automatic handwashing detection that listens for the sound of running water and handwashing motions and then starts a 20-second timer so you can make sure you're washing your hands for the appropriate amount of time.

There's a new watch Face Sharing feature that lets you share watch faces with others and install new watch faces from the App Store, Messages, Mail, websites, and more.

There's a new Chronograph Pro face with tachymeter, updates to complications, and new workout options in the newly renamed Fitness app, which was previously the Activity app.

The Maps app now supports directions for cyclists, Siri provides spoken translations, and there's a Shortcuts app on the Apple Watch. For more on what's new in watcOS 7, make sure to check out our watchOS 7 roundup.

watchOS 7 is limited to the Apple Watch Series 3, Series 4, and Series 5 models, and is not compatible with the Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of watchOS 7 to Public Beta Testers

Last edited:

FishyFish

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
Remember: There is no way to downgrade an Apple Watch back to watchOS 6, even in the public beta.

In the public beta notes "Please note Apple Watch cannot be restored to previously-released OS versions once the public beta is installed."

This is the same as the developer beta 4.

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
The betas for watchOS 7 have been great apart from minor graphical bugs. Had it since beta 1 and no issues at all. Can’t see why anyone would want to roll back to 6, I guess Apple don’t either since it’s now public.

gank41

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
No one should install this if you have plans on going back in case something doesn’t work. No way to roll back. Once you’re on this beta train, you’re on it to the official release. I’m surprised after seeing this being available on all the tech sites that not one of them that I’ve seen have mentioned there’s no going back. Just detailed and simple instructions on how to do it.

for shame

gank41

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
The betas for watchOS 7 have been great apart from minor graphical bugs. Had it since beta 1 and no issues at all. Can’t see why anyone would want to roll back to 6, I guess Apple don’t either since it’s now public.
I agree, it’s been great. But there’s been battery drain issues and you need to be on iOS 14 beta, also. Lots of caveats and I’m not seeing any of that being posted anywhere.

Reactions: roncron

yoavon1

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2018
SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW download :)
(waited so long an now I can't seem to wait 30 more minutes ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.