Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It will be every 2 -3 weeks between updates. There is probably 4 -5 more betas before GM.
Try #3 here we go. This time it threw a "please connect to the internet" error at me.

I feel like Apple just doesn't want me updating.

And gotcha, lets hope the next updates install easier. :p

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I give up. Three tries later and I can't get passed the preparing update part without an error.

I'm gonna try again with the next beta.

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
I've never tried a watchOS beta before but tempted this time. Presumably if it goes tits up you can correct it with the official download next month (or whenever) if necessary?

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I've never tried a watchOS beta before but tempted this time. Presumably if it goes tits up you can correct it with the official download next month (or whenever) if necessary?
Yeah once it gets released a s a GM, you can go to that as the official upgrade path, but there's always the possibility that something ctastrophic could happen and you need to send the watch to Apple.
But using a Public Beta doesn't void your warranty and they will help if it gets bricked.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I've had serious problems with WatchOS7, including my Series 3 freezing, hard-crashing and rebooting on its own several times a day. Also, there's an issue with Series 3 where users are told they don't have enough room on their AW to install so they have to unpair and re-pair the watch to download & install successfully; not everyone may want to jump through that hoop for every beta seed.

I didn’t realise series 3 had so many issues. Apologies. I have a series 4. I’m sure it will all be ironed out by release

Reactions: gank41

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
I didn’t realise series 3 had so many issues. Apologies. I have a series 4. I’m sure it will all be ironed out by release

doesn’t appear to be isolated either. I’m on a S3 here and some days get more than 4/5 reboots a day. Others I get none. Beta 1 didn’t do this, everything else since has done.

I’d strongly recommend not updating if you have a S3. Public beta appears to be the same as dev beta 4 which has the reload issue.

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I can’t seem to get activity to sync between watchOS 7 and iOS 14, latest public betas of each...

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
You didn’t give it the ole college try. Wipe the watch and then you should be able to install.
True, I forgot about this in my frustration.

This may be a silly question, but I’ve never unpaired and re-paired a watch before, will my activity data from today be saved if I do? I’m fairly certain my previous data is saved in iCloud, but I’d hate to lose the progress I’ve made today.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
No major changes that are worth getting excited over all i want is icloud messages for apple watch it should sync and delete messages like ios does

Reactions: Dwood1970

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
That still doesn’t happen. If you read a message on the phone, the watch still shows it unread.

Yep, this one of the more annoying things about the watch. There’s enough people that Apple has to be aware (I’ve submitted multiple bug reports over the years myself) and Apple is essentially saying “we’re ok with messages not working as advertised”.

Tranel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2019
Strange issue. I downloaded the beta profile on my iPhone with iOS14. Then I had to enter the pin and to read the notes and I pressed install. Then I get the message the it cannot be installed because my device is locked. Tried it 3 times with the same result.

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Install worked perfectly on my S4...did take a while to download and install though. Watch is running smooth so far, we will see how it does over the next couple of days. Fingers crossed there won't be any major issues.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I already had the dev profile installed and the latest beta. I removed it, install the public beta profile. The watch rebooted 3 times, I thought it was going to have a problem, then it worked ok.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.