Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'm wondering if Aplle has turned over a new leaf and will support iOS 14 concurrently with iOS 15 for the entire year — AND let users switch back and forth from here on out.
THATS ALL WE EVER WANTED.
No more of this One Way street BS.

Reactions: whirldy

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
told myself I wouldn't start at PB1, so as this is PB2... I'm downloading it on a iPP 11" 2018 that isn't a primary device :)

Reactions: roncron

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Any reason for one to do this? Genuine question, no disrespect intended.
Generally the Public Beta is the same build as that current Dev Beta, but there’s a delay in when it’s released. Generally that’s to isolate any show stopping bugs/issues to just the Dev builds. Like a “heads up” over the PB.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Folks considering installing the PB should consider that, at this early stage, new betas will come out only every 2 weeks or longer. So if you experience extremely inconvenient bugs, you might be waiting a very long time for a fix.

In about a month or so, the betas will be further along, more stable, and new ones will come out more frequently.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
oooh, so if you switch to, for instance — travel mode — your home screen can be different? that's pretty awesome, i think i missed that. i could be all over that! maps and weather updates, while appreciated, definitely won't make me go into beta mode. but this... :)
Yes, create the page you want, enter edit home page mode by holding onto the blank area between the bottom most row and the dock, then click ".." page indicator to select the page(s) you want to be shown for each focus mode.

My only quibble is that notification MUST be explicitly set for each focus mode. There's no "mirror the default settings" option.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
iOS 15 beta 2 is very solid, which is what public beta 1 is based on. Unless you are use one of the broken apps (HSBC is a famous example), you are probably fine.
Yeah, I get that. But I've learned the hard way that when I'm travelling in the summer and camping and the like, I need my phone to be rock solid. So my iPad is where I experiment.

EDIT: And right on cue, Maps crashes on me and resprings my home screen. LOL.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Having run my share of public betas between iOS 7 and iOS 13 without skipping, I personally lost any interest in them by now. Bugs in OS + bugs in third party apps = waste of time & energy, IMO. While the betas are essential for developers to balance things out, I would now rather wait for a properly cooked OS to enjoy.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yes, create the page you want, enter edit home page mode by holding onto the blank area between the bottom most row and the dock, then click ".." page indicator to select the page(s) you want to be shown for each focus mode.

My only quibble is that notification MUST be explicitly set for each focus mode. There's no "mirror the default settings" option.
hmm, so what if i want the same app to appear on several "modes"? is that possible?

mnni

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I did not read any comments. But simultaneously installing Public betas of iOS 15 on my main iPhone. iPadOS 15 on my main iPad, tvOS 15 on my main Apple TV and watchOS 8 on my Apple Watch. living life to the fullest…

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is the first time I am thinking of installing beta on my iPhone. Mainly due to the allure of the iCloud Relay. Anyone with experience in Public Betas and their stability care to elaborate?
The last few years I jumped in on the 4th PB and things are generally ok at that point.

No plan is ever perfect but I've yet to be majorly impacted following that rule.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm wondering if Aplle has turned over a new leaf and will support iOS 14 concurrently with iOS 15 for the entire year — AND let users switch back and forth from here on out.
THATS ALL WE EVER WANTED.
No more of this One Way street BS.
But just for one major revision still not as good as macOS and windows scenario. One step towards the direction we want I guess.
I still can’t rule out apple limiting macOS roll back ability after Monterey.

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
Agree with other posts will wait on putting it on my phone for a few later releases, but my M1 Ipad, installing now :) Honestly, that‘s really the one I’ve been wanting to mess around with anyway.

Edit: Installed and running great so far. Gonna be a little learning curve, but no trouble with install or running core apps at this time.

Last edited:

ItsSoShiny

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
I've installed every public beta on my personal iPhone since iOS 10. They've all been fine, FWIW.
every time I install the beta!

Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— Steve Jobs, 1997

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
This is the first time I am thinking of installing beta on my iPhone. Mainly due to the allure of the iCloud Relay. Anyone with experience in Public Betas and their stability care to elaborate?
I started running the betas a few years ago and they have been pretty solid overall. This year (Since it isn’t such a huge leap) I took the plunge and installed it on my M1 IPad Pro and will wait another beta or two to install it on my 12 pro. It has been running pretty smoothly so far on my IPad (which should be expected with the chip it has running the show).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.