Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nato64

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Orange, CA
  • Twitter for iPad still doesn't save your account info, resets upon launch.
  • New Hi-Res Raindrops background looks much better.
  • Sending PDFs to iBooks works now.

grahamrb

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Was it possible to do airplay from iTunes beta 1? I just noticed an icon in the bottom right that lets me choose to output audio to my Apple TV (second gen). Never noticed it on beta 1 (but I may have just missed it).

cgriffis753

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
Michigan
music shuffle issue

in the 4.2 beta2 on my ipod touch 4g, the music would not shuffle even with shuffle turned on and everything! is it still like that in this beta?

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Was it possible to do airplay from iTunes beta 1? I just noticed an icon in the bottom right that lets me choose to output audio to my Apple TV (second gen). Never noticed it on beta 1 (but I may have just missed it).

That was possible in the previous betas.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I wonder if Apple is still being stupid about not allowing "Retina" apps to run at full resolution on the iPad.

Why not allow this? 1024x768 will run 960x640 apps just fine. No reason to drop back to 480x320 and upscale.

I hope they change the switch back to a screen orientation lock from a mute switch. Seems incredibly stupid to still have the old way of muting the iPad along with changing the screen orientation lock to mute switch.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
They're just trying to make it similar on both devices.

I do find it odd how many people aren't developers. I'd almost bet that the majority of people using it aren't.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I wonder if Apple is still being stupid about not allowing "Retina" apps to run at full resolution on the iPad.

Why not allow this? 1024x768 will run 960x640 apps just fine. No reason to drop back to 480x320 and upscale.

I have heard a reason and if it's true I actually fully support Apple in this one.

You may think it's crazy, but think about this.

If they did allow iPhone4 960x640 apps to run at full res on the iPad, yes, it would allow many new apps to run at almost full iPad screen which you would think is a good thing.

But. It would start to make developers lazy and not bother with an iPad version at 1024x768 as their one iPhone4 app if almost full screen so it will do.

I personally want PROPER iPad apps running at full iPad screen size. Not a load of iPhone4 960x640 apps on the iPad with a pixel border about the app.

I'm not saying every developer would do this, but you can be sure a fair number would feel why bother putting a lot of work into an iPad app as the iPhone4 app is virtually full iPad screen.

So, as I said, which it may seen annoying in the short term, I am happy (for the sake of the iPad) that Apple don't allow this and developers have to create a seperate iPad app, as then they will probably also change the interface to suit the larger screen also.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5101c Safari/6533.18.5)

Can anyone confirm is beta 3 plays better with magazines like sports illustrated and zinio on the iPad? They rendered painfully slow with beta 1.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California

This is possible in the current version of iTunes 10, not just the betas, I've been using that button with my Apple TV to stream music to my stereo for the last week.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd rather they'd just allow custom SMS ringtones than feed us more crap ones. Performance enhancements are welcomed though.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
I have heard a reason and if it's true I actually fully support Apple in this one.

If they did allow iPhone4 960x640 apps to run at full res on the iPad, yes, it would allow many new apps to run at almost full iPad screen which you would think is a good thing.

But. It would start to make developers lazy and not bother with an iPad version at 1024x768 as their one iPhone4 app if almost full screen so it will do.

I don't see how. There is so much more to iPad support than just rez. Plus by supporting Retina display all the buttons and stuff will be way bigger than normal and quite clunky. I agree Ple should support Retina on iPad because all it would do is make iPhone apps more crisp, but still just as unusable as they are now.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007

I personally want PROPER iPad apps running at full iPad screen size. Not a load of iPhone4 960x640 apps on the iPad with a pixel border about the app.

I'm not saying every developer would do this, but you can be sure a fair number would feel why bother putting a lot of work into an iPad app as the iPhone4 app is virtually full iPad screen.

So, as I said, which it may seen annoying in the short term, I am happy (for the sake of the iPad) that Apple don't allow this and developers have to create a seperate iPad app, as then they will probably also change the interface to suit the larger screen also.

Well, even though Apple claims tens of thousands of apps for the iPad, the reality is that the iPad, despite its success, is ignored by app developers. It doesn't get anywhere near the same attention the iPhone gets. So we're often stuck with an iPhone version of the app. And having it run at 960x640 would be a lot better than having it run at upscaled 480x320.

On top of that, I think the other reason is that it would finally open peoples eyes to the fact that all of these "HD" apps are ripoffs. The vast majority of these apps are using the exact same assets as the iPhone version but rendered at 1024x768 instead of 960x640, like Let's Golf 2. It would be in Apple's best financial interest to not allow "Retina" games to run at native resolution because then they wouldn't get their 30% cut of a significantly higher priced "HD" app sale. Even if that "HD" app is using the exact same assets, like every Gameloft game.

Edit: It would be nice for Apple to think of consumers for once, instead of margins. Allow the iPad to run "Retina" apps at native resolution to encourage app developers to write universal apps rather than separate iPhone and significantly higher priced "HD" apps for the iPad.

glenncal

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
  • Twitter for iPad still doesn't save your account info, resets upon launch.
  • New Hi-Res Raindrops background looks much better.
  • Sending PDFs to iBooks works now.
Twitter for iPad will need to be fixed by its developers. Currently, the state is being saved only when the app is closed. Since 4.2 allows multitasking, this never happens (a different method is called when the app is suspended). Thus, the state is being lost when the suspended app is terminated due to low memory (which happens a lot).

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Does the new beta support Airplay video or is it still limited to audio?

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Does the new beta support Airplay video or is it still limited to audio?

Just been testing this, from iPhone 4 to Apple Tv2 its able to play the Audio from a Movie on the Apple Tv2 but just shows the artwork and a runtime bar still. No video streaming just yet.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
According to 9to5, AirPlay is gone from the YouTube app. Content providers are so obnoxious. I'm sure YouTube won't be the last provider to prevent AirPlay in their apps.

AirPlay%20Youtube%20-%201.jpg

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
According to 9to5, AirPlay is gone from the YouTube app. Content providers are so obnoxious. I'm sure YouTube won't be the last provider to prevent AirPlay in their apps.
If Airplay was removed on purpose than this is bad, bad news. Not having Airplay as a universal option to beam any video content to a large screen completely takes out the magic of this great feature. I really hope this is a bug and not some restriction from content providers...

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Something quite strange happens with Airplay on iPhone 4. If you "link" your phone to stream audio in the iPod app. Then quit but leave the Airplay button active. Your phones audio still streams over to the Apple TV or Airport Express etc.

For example, when you type the "clicks" are streamed over, and someone just called me and the phone rang via the Airport Express connected to my Hi-Fi. The same happens for New text messages, New Emails.

Feature or Bug? what do we think?

funkyp56

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Something quite strange happens with Airplay on iPhone 4. If you "link" your phone to stream audio in the iPod app. Then quit but leave the Airplay button active. Your phones audio still streams over to the Apple TV or Airport Express etc.

For example, when you type the "clicks" are streamed over, and someone just called me and the phone rang via the Airport Express connected to my Hi-Fi. The same happens for New text messages, New Emails.

Feature or Bug? what do we think?

What's even weirder............you own a Hi-Fi?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.