Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiquidThunderLT

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you airplay videos from the camera roll???

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I was worried as other tablets used this. Apple would be accused or copying someone else's idea.

I don't care, a good idea is a good idea.

Personally I think swipe up from the bottom to bring up the multitasking bar is a great and so obvious idea.

I'd actually like a way to close apps, as I don't like the fact every single program get's put on the multitasking tray, you get too many on there that you don't want.

Perhaps if you could swipe off the top of the screen to close an app or something ?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
This would be so amazingly fun to play with. It's almost enough to make me want to run out and get an AppleTV..

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Nice to know they're coming with new gestures for ipad. It's annoying sometimes to reach your hand all the way to the tiny home button to switch apps.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Airplay for Apps!

Could this allow for apps to be seen on a tv? Could I play Angry Birds on my HDTV and control it from my iOS device?!?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I would like to see Airplay support in Safari and as it seems it will come. What really got me excited are the new multitouch gestures for the iPad. It is much better having a gesture to switch between open apps. The only bad thing is that a gesture isn't really intuitive for many people and someone will have to explain them how it is done :) Having a button in order to do that is easier for these people. Having said that, I mutely prefer using gestures and I would like to see the home button disappear in the next iPad.

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010
Major news from Engadget:

1. iOS 4.3 enables Airplay video from 3rd party apps to AppleTV!

2. iOS 4.3 enables 5 device hotspot for GSM iPhones (carrier must allow for it.)

3. iOS 4.3 enables MAJOR new multitouch gestures for iPad including a pinch to go to home screen from within apps, a gesture to move between apps, and a gesture to open the multitasking panel. The rumor now is perhaps the iPad 2 has NO home button to make it smaller!

Yeah, but the really BIG news is iOS 4.3 enables recurring billing! Woo Hoo!! I can't wait to be billed on a regular/recurring basis for all my apps!!!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you airplay videos from the camera roll???

3rd party apps and Safari is nice, but this is a big one for me. I want to Airplay video I just shot without syncing and possibly editing.

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
This would be so amazingly fun to play with. It's almost enough to make me want to run out and get an AppleTV..

I am really hoping that Hulu plus gets enabled for airplay. Then I can cancel my cable. Other then that, my apple TV has been kind of worthless since I can do netflix on my 360

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Not surprised they dropped the 3G and Touch 2G as there's nothing new for them. They fixed my phone with 4.2.1; I'd rather they didn't mess with it again ;-)

If it were me doing the versioning though I'd skip to .5 for this sort of stuff, so this would be iOS 4.5, since it's a major change (dropping of older models plus new iPad gestures), and IMO iOS 3.2 should've been iOS 3.5 (since it was iPad only and on a different branch to iOS 3.1).

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
you can now switch the lock button on the iPad between mute and lock rotation!!!!!!

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    158.4 KB · Views: 952

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
No way, There are other functions of the home button.

Double click, and triple click do other things.

Besides, there are other ways of relocating the button to make the thing smaller.

all those double and triple clicks can be replaced with gestures right?

could they have a side home button and gestures?

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
regarding drop of "support" for iphone 3G

If 3G support has stopped, as suggested in article, I would be dissappointed.

I do NOT want new features that the hardward can not handle - and I am very appreciative that Apple took steps to un-cripple my 3G a few months ago when it could not handle the 4.0 update.

Nowever, I would like SECURITY related items to still be included in upgrades for 3G. And if there are little things that retain basic functional consistancy between the older and newer iphones in our house, that would be a good thing to share with 3G-ers too.

Of course, there does becomes a time when hardware does become too old to support, but my 3G is still within my 2 year AT&T contract... so I don't really consider it ancient tech. yet!

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
No way, There are other functions of the home button.

Double click, and triple click do other things.

Besides, there are other ways of relocating the button to make the thing smaller.

Actually they also introduced a multitasking gesture so you only have the Accessibility function to replicate and that could be a gesture as well.

Wildog27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
The Home button is also used to a hard reset and to bring it out of sleep, but I suppose you could use the top button for that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Makes me wonder if there won't be a home button on the front screen w/the iPad 2.

I could see a soft home button/buttons at some stage, but I don't think they will drop it quite yet.

It makes sense really as at the moment the home button could be in any one of 4 different positions and as was showed in the Honeycomb demo, their soft home button will always be in the same place on the screen no matter how you hold the device. That is more logical when you think about it.

People jump up and down saying oh you need the physical home button to get out of a crash, well Apple can always recode other physical buttons on the iPad to take over that one hardware requirement.

I'm sure Apple would really like to get rid of the hole in the glass and a popper button when they think of a good way around it, but as I say, I'd be very surprised if the iPad2 was like this.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I'm sure it will be 29.99 for the hotspot with a 2GB cap or the same price as the current tethering with 2GB cap of course.

I'll use MyWi.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
The Home button is also used to a hard reset and to bring it out of sleep, but I suppose you could use the top button for that.

The home button works in conjunction with the sleep switch. They both to multiple commands...but I guess they could move it to the Volume Switch

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

Is there anyway to get this without being on the developer programme?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.