Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3 to Developers, Restores 'Enable 3G' Toggle

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2012.

1. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

That's always been possible. After turning on Airplane Mode, just turn on wifi again.

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

3. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

My 4S battery definitely doesn't last as long as the 4, but there have really only ever been one or two occasions where it dies in the middle of the day. Why not just buy a backup battery to keep in your briefcase or whatever you carry around? They're small and cheap.

----------

Ahh, great thank you! I always wondered if that was possible but I guess I just never tried it!

----------

Yes, very true. The 4S seems to have the problem that all electronic devices have where it will drain slowly at first and then drain quicker as the battery life goes down, but then when it gets under 10% it usually seems to last twice as long as it took get get from 20% to 10%, and other times when it gets to 10% its dead in 10 minutes.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You can do that. Just turn off 3G and cellular data leaving only WiFi on.

It even says so in the setting :

Attached Files:

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Strange, and sad, given most of their other phones (even most of their old basic ones) can easily support that.

6. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Well, I have tried most of the stuff people suggest. Restore new phone, add apps and see which ones impact on battery life, etc.

It does not work. Battery life appeared pretty solid on iOS 5.0, but after a week that notification 'there's an update for your iPhone' started to get on my nerves and so I updated. Battery life has been hell ever since, but there is nowadays no chance to go back to 5.0 software.

Based on some of the posts I read, I am positive that 5.1 will solve most of my battery woes. It's just that I have been waiting 2 months to get it.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Ironically, when Sprint rolled out 1x ten years ago it was touted as 3G. While many instead called it 2.5G I don't think it was ever referred to as 2G.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-pcs-rolls-out-nationwide-3g-2002089/

The logic was that analog was 1G (there were modems and data devices that ran on analog systems), GSM/cdmaONE was 2G, and GPRS/CDMA 1x 2.5G.

Michael

8. chunker macrumors member

FaceTime issues shouldn't be signal related. I have full bars and have high wifi speeds. I'll try Facetiming with my Macbook and no issues, I try with my iPod and iPad and no issues either, it's only my iPhone that has these issues. I've also asked my gf to FaceTime me at both my email and phone and I get mixed results all the time, it tends to get frustrating.

The flickering light I've only seen a few times, and it's on the front camera.

As far as the connection is concerned, I've read of Sprint users on other phones having faster speeds than those with the 4s. I can have full bars and get lower speeds than a person on the same network but different phone, while the person is next to me. I've actually had this demo with the Sprint rep that sold it to me. he took out his phone, I took out mine and he killed me.

I understand usage will vary on the handset, but I still believe it's a software issue. There's days when I don't do anything on it, and the battery drains fast. Then there's days in which I'm completely baffled at how long it lasts.

To sum it up in one word: INCONSISTENCY

At times iMessages are fast... at times they're slow
    At times FaceTime is great.... moments later it won't receive anything
    At times my battery life is great.... other times I can see it dissolve in front of my eyes by me just holding it.

I've performed all the recommended actions, done all the tweaks, and it doesn't seem to work. I'll wait to see what this next update does to solve some of these issues before I turn return it.

----------

And this goes back to my comment about the issues being iOS related and how the entire experience has been 'inconsistent'.

At times I love it, at times I hate it.

I expect much more from Apple.

9. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I want more than data, I don't want calls or texts in some situations. But people have already answered my question, Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi on.

10. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It could be at the request of Verizon. Even on the iPhone 4 carriers have the option of disabling the 3G switch.

While it could be the new baseband on the 4S, since that was also thrown out as to why the 4S didn't have the option at all and has been proven wrong for GSM I don't think the baseband is the issue with Verizon either. Especially since they have been removing that option from many phones lately.

Michael

11. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Ok, what I want to know is whether the iPad music player still sucks and also whether the ability to play videos while phone is locked is restored (audio only).

12. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Hopefully these update will fix most of the Safari crashes and apps that crash especially the battery problems to on iPod Touch.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Originally AIrplane mode did not allow wifi at all. It was after planes started getting wifi that it was added to the iPhone.

Michael

----------

Soon as I read the subject of this article I knew someone would have to chime in with that kind of ignorance.

Michael

14. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Right. I was writing that and was going to say more along the lines of "CDMA's EDGE-like technology" but ended up leaving it as "2G".

Nevertheless, in the end, it's still sad that for whatever reason 3G control on the phone doesn't seem to be present on VZW iPhones.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i wonder if that switch has anything to do with them getting ready for 4G LTE switch?

16. tommot82 macrumors regular

i really dont notice any difference in battery life between my old 4 and the 4s! I think i must be one of the lucky ones as my wide is always complaining about the battery since upgrading to 4s?!?!

17. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

is "enable 3G toggle" avaliable for 4S iPhoneS?

18. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Still no screen adjustment options?

Are there still no screen temperature &/or contrast adjustments available for us to make some minor tweaks? I was really hoping & looking forward to such options being offered to us in the upcoming iOS update so that I can make my iPhone 4S's very yellow screen look a bit better. Man, this is disappointing for me. :(

19. Tmelon macrumors 65816

Yep. The Enable 3G toggle is not on the Sprint iPhone 4S. Disappointing. My battery life with beta 2 was fantastic, hopefully the same will be said for beta 3.

20. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

@pod2g, @musclenerd, @p0sixninja and @planetbeing better get that jailbreak out by now!

21. AlkFoo macrumors member

I want to an option to choose the color of the texts I see. In other words, with iMessage, the bubbles are blue, and texts are green... call me a child, but it would be "neato" if we could custom those text/imessage bubbles.

Holding my breath... not really

22. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, original report on the 30th Dec, followed up on the 4th when I found the info in the powerlogs and added a couple of notes since.

23. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    This is very good news. When I'm at crowded conventions (and as somebody else pointed out, I'm sure it's good for big sports games) and 3G is saturated and hard to get a consistent signal, I always used to switch to EDGE. I'd get a slower data rate, sure, but I'd actually get data without constant disconnections or timeouts.

While true, EDGE uses less battery and it's good for that, the biggest reason I want a 3G toggle is because 3G is sometimes spotty where EDGE has great coverage.

24. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

I always reboot my anyPhone before any software update.
    (I always restart my computer too.)

Gary

25. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I think it has more to do with resolving any remaining issues vis a vis battery life on the 4S. I think most people with battery problems on the 4S live in areas with poor 3G signal and therefore their phone is sucking the battery dry as the antenna needs to use more power to keep a connection. For example, if you're on a call on a 2-bar connection, it is using a lot more power than a call made on a 5-bar connection.

In addition, when signal strength is low but your phone is on standby, the antenna never gets a chance to idle and constantly tries to find a better signal and establish new connections. Basically, in those situations it is consuming as much battery as if you were on an active call (even though your phone is on standby) because the antenna doesn't get a chance to go to idle mode.