Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3 to Developers, Restores 'Enable 3G' Toggle

adnbek

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
No, that would be the Cellular data toggle. The 3G toggle is to fallback to EDGE for cellular data.
Just a slight correction to your post above. Fallback to Edge for cellular data and calls.

After all, you can make calls either on Edge or on 3G and they're definitely not the same.

May 24, 2011
I do not belong to people who have tremendous problems with battery on 4S but it was a lot shorther then on ip4. I use 3G (enabled) with WiFi too (in my apartment). Previously after simillar time and usage battery was droping below 80% (so difference is 80% vs 95%), and here is screen shot after 14h:

Wow. 14 hours even on stand-by I'd still be at 80%. You must be lucky.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
Just a slight correction to your post above. Fallback to Edge for cellular data and calls.

After all, you can make calls either on Edge or on 3G and they're definitely not the same.
You can't make calls on EDGE, per se. You can make calls on GSM or UMTS ("3G") but EDGE specifically is a data over GSM format.

Basically turning off 3G switches the phone to GSM-only. Not "EDGE", which is a data technology, per se.

Remember, much of AT&T's network is 3G-only, and coverage in many areas will be dramatically lower with 3G disabled, which I imagine is part of why that switch was removed in the first place. For example, in my area, i would guess only about half of AT&T's towers have GSM.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Bluetooth

Will this release fix a backwards compatability issue for Blueooth? As I understand from the Genius Bar, the 4S does not support versions of Bluetooth other than the most recent, so I've been left having to us a hardwir earpiece or shell out money for a new Bluetooth device. I don't know enough about the hardware, firmware and software issues, but my hope was that this is an easily corrected oversight which they are past due to remedy.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Another slight correction: Fallback to EDGE for cellular data and GSM for calls.

EDGE is not used for voice, only data.

Michael

kcmo

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I REALLY want to be able to move photos between albums, and of course, delete from photostream!

And it would be nice if the videos I shoot with my iPhone actually saved to the VIDEOS APP! Annoying that I have to first get them onto my PC and then drag them to iTunes, and then sync back to my phone! :mad:

Oh, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to dial a contact by photo on the homescreen?! Takes too many steps to get to a favorite....unlock screen, hit phone app, hit favorites tab, select contact.

OK, rant over.

ihonda

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2009
random signal drops yay!! didnt happen on 5.0.1 but happened on 5.1 b2 and now b3.. :\

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I can confirm that you can definately turn off 3G manually again in the new beta! Thanks for that, Apple!
Do you have the 4S, it's just I read somewhere that it might not be possible to have a 3G toggle on off switch on account of the 4S's new chip.

adnbek

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Another slight correction: Fallback to EDGE for cellular data and GSM for calls.

EDGE is not used for voice, only data.

Michael
You can't make calls on EDGE, per se. You can make calls on GSM or UMTS ("3G") but EDGE specifically is a data over GSM format.

Basically turning off 3G switches the phone to GSM-only. Not "EDGE", which is a data technology, per se.
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

In any case, it's about double the talk time on GSM than on 3G (assuming the same signal strength on both) plus I find the sound is louder, less choppy and calls are just more reliable on GSM. So always a good idea to fallback to GSM when making calls.

Which reminds me.. (begin rant) I find it so annoying when friends, who never turn off 3G (or worse, don't even know they can), call me and although the sound is choppy and with the calls frequently getting dropped still say "What for?*" when I ask them to turn off 3G and call me back. Sigh.
*or more accurately sounds like they say "Wh[no sound]t [no sound]or" *call dropped* :D
(end rant)

----------

Do you have the 4S, it's just I read somewhere that it might not be possible to have a 3G toggle on off switch on account of the 4S's new chip.
Please go to page 1 and read the top of the page. Thanks.

----------

I know it is a silly question, but is there any chance that Apple will fix the battery issue? If so, how high?
For the love of.... Read the thread!

----------

-I REALLY want to be able to move photos between albums, and of course, delete from photostream!

-And it would be nice if the videos I shoot with my iPhone actually saved to the VIDEOS APP! Annoying that I have to first get them onto my PC and then drag them to iTunes, and then sync back to my phone! :mad:

-Oh, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to dial a contact by photo on the homescreen?! Takes too many steps to get to a favorite....unlock screen, hit phone app, hit favorites tab, select contact.

OK, rant over.
I'll bite:

-Wasn't this already addressed? I believe on icloud.com you can now do this. Not sure because I don't use photostream personally.

-Videos you film get saved in the Photos app, not Videos.

-No. But if you want this so bad, jailbreak your phone.

Last edited:

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
Wow. 14 hours even on stand-by I'd still be at 80%. You must be lucky.
Sorry, do you mean that you can get your 4S to consume only 20% after 14hrs of standby? My phone consumes more than 3% per hour on standby, and that's on a good day... Have you disabled pretty much all features or do you have a super-battery?

----------

I do not belong to people who have tremendous problems with battery on 4S but it was a lot shorther then on ip4. I use 3G (enabled) with WiFi too (in my apartment). Previously after simillar time and usage battery was droping below 80% (so difference is 80% vs 95%), and here is screen shot after 14h:
Fascinating. What settings to you use to get these very good scores? Push email off? Location services off? Skype not installed? Thanks.

zeram1

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
I was wondering, wouldn't it be more convenient if the "3G toggle" were automatic? What if it automatically shuts down 3G when it detects a registered wifi connection? Would this not take into account EDGE?

ihonda

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Is anyone getting the random signal drops of data? 4S/GSM

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
adnbek said:
Please go to page 1 and read the top of the page. Thanks.
Thanks. But I've looked and it doesn't mention if the 3G toggle on/off switch is shown/will be shown on a iPhone 4S. I just wondered if any of the DEVS had installed 5.1 beta 3 on a 4S, if they had, is the 3G toggle switch shown.

betono

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
4S uses Qualcomm chipset - it is pretty advanced solution now so why shouldn`t it support feature simple as changing Radio Access Technology from 3G to 2G?
Don`t worry - it is supported on budget phones from some years already.

From my perspective this kind of "fix" to address battery issue is simply NO FIX - disabling 3G to be able to go through a day without charging??? Come on....

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
4S uses Qualcomm chipset - it is pretty advanced solution now so why shouldn`t it support feature simple as changing Radio Access Technology from 3G to 2G?
Don`t worry - it is supported on budget phones from some years already.

From my perspective this kind of "fix" to address battery issue is simply NO FIX - disabling 3G to be able to go through a day without charging??? Come on....
If the 4S is able to toggle 3G on/off with 5.1, then this will be very welcome news for 4S users who live on a poor/fringe 3G area and find that their 4S's are not able to receive/make calls has the 4S tries to hold onto a poor/fringe 3G signal, rather than switching to EDGE/GPRS in these fringe areas.

These kind of users were able to switch off 3G in these instances (on the iPhone 4/iOS 4) and then were able to get a good EDGE/GPRS signal and were then able to make/receive calls fine. It would also improve battery life for these people too has their 4S's would not be trying to search for a 3G signal.

betono

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
In my case phone is loosing 4% per hour in standby and i have full 3G coverage in my flat.
For the guys with poor 3G it can bring "peace" - 100% correct.

I would prefer not to switch it to 2G because i use my phone for data services so 3G is more than welcome...

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
im in NZ, on 5.0.1 and using a iPhone 4
and iv always had the enable 3g toggle thingy

it must be a carrier, or jet a USA thing

i want the iPod app fixed on my phone
its really messed , and broken since the main update
i turned on iTunes match on my phone today, just to see how good it works
since iv done that. iv had major issues all afternoon
iv turned it off. and its still playing up for me.
im so tempted to restore my phone. to try and sort it.
but i don't want to set everything up again

this is my first major major update. i only joined apple ice 2010 with iOS 4.
and this update has been some what of a yet down

kolargol

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
www.process-one.net
Sorry, do you mean that you can get your 4S to consume only 20% after 14hrs of standby? My phone consumes more than 3% per hour on standby, and that's on a good day... Have you disabled pretty much all features or do you have a super-battery?

----------

Fascinating. What settings to you use to get these very good scores? Push email off? Location services off? Skype not installed? Thanks.
I have attached screenshot from today, i still did not charge 4S since upgrade to beta3 - it is 60%. I use "normal" apple services like: iCloud, Gmail via Exchange (so yes - push), iTunes Match enabled, 3G enabled + WiFi in my flat, i do not have Skype, but have apps that push a lot like: Upik (great app for realtime news delivery - but lot of pushes), facebook, facebook messenger etc...
Location services settings are tweaked by me, i have turned off:
- Diagnostic & Usage
- Location based iAds
- Setting Time Zone

other settings are pretty standard - including backup to iCloud.

Attachments

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Not all of us have the problem with our 4S. Mine even has both location services and bluetooth turned on (notice the bluetooth icon) and I can get this :

photo.PNG

So yeah... the battery issue is with something in the software, not the phone itself. I gotta admit, the sucker drains like no tomorrow if I leave the Google+ app running, so I don't.

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

kolargol said:

----------

I have attached screenshot from today, i still did not charge 4S since upgrade to beta3 - it is 60%. I use "normal" apple services like: iCloud, Gmail via Exchange (so yes - push), iTunes Match enabled, 3G enabled + WiFi in my flat, i do not have Skype, but have apps that push a lot like: Upik (great app for realtime news delivery - but lot of pushes), facebook, facebook messenger etc...
Location services settings are tweaked by me, i have turned off:
- Diagnostic & Usage
- Location based iAds
- Setting Time Zone

other settings are pretty standard - including backup to iCloud.
That sounds promising.
Did you have issues with battery before the beta?

kolargol

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
www.process-one.net
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

That sounds promising.
Did you have issues with battery before the beta?
yes, but they were moderate - 4S avrg was lasting 1 day (little more then 24 hours, of course)

can anyone else confirm there is no 3g toggle!
No. i do not confirm. There IS 3G toggle in Networks settings.