Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3 to Developers, Restores 'Enable 3G' Toggle

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Come off it! That has got to be a massive exaggeration! Anyone who genuinely uses their iPhone to send 200 emails a day is a moron. Get a real computer dude!

Seriously the more I type the more I think about that. . . Where are you when you write/send all these emails. . . . I think it would actually take me the whole day to send that many emails with my phone. . . . Is this for work. . . . Why would anyone doing that much emailing per day be doing it on a phone?????

I don't mean to be rude. True or false that just seems a ridiculous statement. :)

2. yegon macrumors 68030

I have a 4 and am glad it still has the 3G toggle and totally understand 4S users wanting it back.

Here in the uk I live in an old house with thick walls - if I leave 3G on I miss calls that end up going straight to voicemail. Equally, if I forget to switch it off in the house and make a call it regularly drops. I have none of these problems with Edge. Doesn't bother me as obviously I use wifi at home.

Not as if I live in a poorly covered area either, I get good to great 3G coverage the moment I leave the house.

3. jaykid007 macrumors newbie

I got 12 minutes yesterday of more battery on my IP4S when my phone dropped to 1%. Unless this is normal, the battery does seem to be off. My Iphone would hit 1% and maybe got 1 minute more max.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I work outside for a living and my they don't give us netbooks for work (and we really don't need them either), and it's not like I need to type a long paragraph also. It's not an exaggeration at all, and because of my position I am copied on everything. So people who do this are morons? Nice. I love how you resort to name calling on here.

5. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Ok I'm sorry about the moron thing, I got carried away.
    200-300 emails a day. . . .I'm just genuinely staggered that you have so very much emailing to do on your iPhone.
    Apart from being outside (which sounds great) your day sounds appalling!

all the best, use sunscreen. xx

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Dude, read what he originally wrote. He didn't say he writes hundreds of emails a day. He said between sending and receiving he does. For all you know he gets 200 emails and sends 25. Perfectly reasonable.

Michael

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

This is just a theory but I think the impending 4S jailbreak may have forced Apple to bring back the toggle on the 4S.

After all, there was a lot of speculation as to whether the 4S was even capable of turning off 3G due to the Qualcomm chip, with most people believing it just couldn't do it.

With this new development, a jailbreak would have therefore revealed it was indeed possible to turn off 3G on the 4S and was simply left out intentionally. Apple had no choice but to put it back before a jailbreak outed them.

Same thing with multitouch gestures on iPad 1. Had this feature not been known to exist, Apple would have never fixed it.

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Could be that. Or it could be there was a lot of customer pushback for the 3G switch. I know there was a lot of discussion on the Apple forums. Presumably that translated into a lot of requests to Apple directly. Users are not generally fond of features being taken away (iPad rotation lock switch anyone?).

What will really be interesting is if the jb community comes up with a way to do this on a CDMA iPhone.

Michael

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

could be. but we sure hope 4G is coming soon, maybe on the next iPad?

10. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

Like it has already been stated on here at least twice, older Verizon phones (the last two phones I've had) had the capability. They would just run on 1x. If it is a limitation of Verizon, it's one they're only imposing on iPhones.

11. Ladder713 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Unjust updated my Verizon 4s to 5.1 beta 3 and I now have a setting for carrier. Does anyone know what this is?

12. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

i think we will see 5.1 before the end of the month
    and a beta for 5.2 before the keynote in march for the iPad.

they won't hold onto 5.1 till march,
    they need to push out this update sooner rather then later. so they can try and fix the issues.

i would love too see the syncing between my iPhone and iTunes fixed.
    in fact iTunes 10.5 needs to be fixed, but thats a different topic

would be nice to have the option to remove newsstand from the home screens

13. 808? macrumors 6502a

Indeed, along with any other native app that a user has no use for!

14. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Thank you Michael, but saying you "receive and send 200-300 emails a day" does not translate to what you suggested.

It suggests that he often reads/writes hundreds of emails a day on his iPhone.

If (as you are close to suggesting) the man meant to say that he receives hundreds of emails a day but only reads/sends a handful. . . . Then this is useless information and I reiterate my previously retracted statement.

15. adnbek, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

True, I suspect users played a role too but as long as a seed of doubt existed Apple could just say the phone can't do it.

After all, wasn't that the official response to the multitouch issue? Didn't they try to imply that the iPad 1 just wasn't powerful enough to do it? And only when people said "hey wait a minute, that's BS." because proof existed that it could do it that Apple put it back in.

I find the jailbreak theory more plausible due to the timing. They could've brought back the toggle in 5.0.1 (I know a lot of complaints started from day one of the 4S release) but didn't. Not a coincidence they bring it back as the jailbreak gets closer to being a reality.

In any case, I'm glad it's getting the toggle back. I sold the 4S (at a profit, huzzah) the next day I bought it because of the lack of the toggle.

And let's hope iPhones always remain jailbreakable to keep Apple from misbehavin'. ;)

16. joeyseminara, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

joeyseminara macrumors newbie

Question. Anyone else notice after iOS 5.1 beta 3 installed that there vibration alert is buzzy? Seems vibration alert is much louder then before causing a buzzing effect.

17. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Anyone know if this beta does anything for the ridiculously loud system sounds after using siri? That's getting pretty annoying...

18. saturnino3 macrumors member

I hope iOS 5.1 finally fixes the AirPlay bug between iPhone 4Ss and AirPlay enabled speakers such as the Sony NA-S500! Sooo tired of listening to music via my MBA.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

As someone who jailbroke the first iPhone as soon as it was possible I agree. Those days there was of course a huge difference between stock and jailbroken. Not so much today--and that is because Apple added most of what we previously could only do by jailbreaking. Heck, back in 2007 a stock iPhone did not have the ability to even add apps at all (Web apps really don't count--Steve was wrong about that one big-time). But I was installing native apps way before there was such a thing as the App Store.

Michael

----------

Well I did not read "receive and send" the same way you did. Moreover he clarified by stating he is copied (CC'd) on "everything." That tells me he is getting a lot of email he has not only no need to reply to, but also no need to scrutinize heavily. I am in a similar situation and get close to the same amount of email. It just doesn't seem all that unusual.

Michael

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Disable Auto Time set and also disable WiFi when not planning to actually connect to an access point.
    Also, close all those apps you have opened in the background, and restart your device to clear these errors you describe.

21. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

My battery life is terrible. If I start off during the day at 100% and forget my charger, I can count on the iPhone completely draining before the end of my work day.

22. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Out of curiosity, what app data would developers possibly want to flag with the new API so as not to be backed up?

23. chunker macrumors member

thanks for the advice, but I've done all of this except the Auto time, I'll try that now.

24. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

Just turn ON WiFi after turning on Airplane mode. Many planes have WiFi.

----------

If you don't want texts you'll also have to turn off iMessage, since that can work on WiFi

----------

Not sure if you mean Siri herself or system sounds.

In Siri preferences you can have Siri only talk on handsfree, which I like. I can talk to her in my car (Speakerphone), but in Public I can ask questions but the world doesn't have to hear the answers.

25. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it is fixed.
    That always annoyed me too!