Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Who asked you though? my first question was answered and the other one was a joke which you obviously didn't understand. So there was no reason for you to "tell me the truth as it is".

I got the joke but I was not referring to that directly. I just said the truth. Your call what you or anyone else does with it.

And you asked me by replying as you did to my previous post here. I was talking in general, and you are taking it personally. It was never and still is not personal to anyone. I was just stating the obvious facts. I know stuff everyone here already knows all too well. But heck I wanted to say it so I did.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
So my phone decided to crash today. Upon turning it on, it prompted me to activate it. Problem is, activation wouldn't work no matter what I tried.

I'm on vacation without my laptop. Had to run to an apple store to dfu restore my phone to 6.0.2 without backing up. I've been away for two weeks.

I was on 6.1 beta 4. Has anyone else experienced this? I'd advise you guys to update ASAP. Had I been somewhere without an Apple store, I could have been screwed. I've been relying on my iPhone for GPS, etc.

EDIT: looks like others experienced the same thing. Pretty awful for apple to kill beta 4 on us so quickly. :/

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use BETA software on a device you rely on. Especially if you're going away with no access to a computer or Apple store.

This should be common sense!

Why did you need to run the BETA version? What feature did it include that you desperately needed on a production device?

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Well thanks to Apple my iPod touch 5th Generation which uses Beta 4 software, is now officially locked out because the beta 5 software will not install and still no Beta 5 notes on the Developer site. I hate how Apple love to control their software effectively stopping me from using my own device.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Well thanks to Apple my iPod touch 5th Generation which uses Beta 4 software, is now officially locked out because the beta 5 software will not install and still no Beta 5 notes on the Developer site. I hate how Apple love to control their software effectively stopping me from using my own device.

Surely it's your own fault for using beta software?

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Surely it's your own fault for using beta software?

Its Apple's fault because they released beta 5 of the software for the iPod touch to replace beta 4, and stuffed it up, so now the previous version has expired. If they released it correctly, this would not have occurred. Every other released has been timed correctly, not this one.

iJason87

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
If I want to revert back to 6.0.2 can I still restore from a backup even if I have a 6.1 backup?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Its Apple's fault because they released beta 5 of the software for the iPod touch to replace beta 4, and stuffed it up, so now the previous version has expired. If they released it correctly, this would not have occurred. Every other released has been timed correctly, not this one.

Being Apple's fault is irrelevant, its beta software still in development... Clearly labeled as such. Non issue.

Any expectation for release date, performance, or even function are based in dream land.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
If I want to revert back to 6.0.2 can I still restore from a backup even if I have a 6.1 backup?

Nope, 6.1 backups don't restore to 6.0x

----------

It's your fault for installing beta software on a device which you rely on.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere

I'd go with both of their fault. Apple did leave it shockingly late to release this, on a weekend two days before the expiry. If anyone was away this weekend they where stuffed (ESP with not OTA updates available) however he is the one responsible for choosing to install the beta and use it. If it expires then ultimately he is the one responsible, not Apple. They don't guarantee that you will get every beta though it's interests to.

barbosas

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
One question regarding space usage, after upgrading do beta5, my 16gb iPhone 5 reports 1.5gb available and 12gb used by apps, is this normal? There's a 2.5gb gap, it seems a bit too much.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Being Apple's fault is irrelevant, its beta software still in development... Clearly labeled as such. Non issue. Any expectation for release date, performance, or even function are based in dream land.

Im not question these other aspects, I'm questioning why the iPod touch 5th generation update to Beta 5 is not installing for so many people, and had no issues beforehand. Obviously Apple stuffed up, and their silence makes it worse. I installed Beta 5 just like every other beta, but this new beta wont install on the iPod touch, Apple stuffed it up not me. Because of their stuff up their current version has timed out - this has never happened before and should not happen.

Did I ask for a release date no, or mention performance no, or anything else no. Im merely asking why the iPod touch version is now installing, yet the iPhone 5 version had no issues.

----------

I'd go with both of their fault. Apple did leave it shockingly late to release this, on a weekend two days before the expiry. If anyone was away this weekend they where stuffed (ESP with not OTA updates available) however he is the one responsible for choosing to install the beta and use it. If it expires then ultimately he is the one responsible, not Apple. They don't guarantee that you will get every beta though it's interests to.

Apple have a duty to release software which should install before the previous version expires so people are not locked out of their devices. This is their responsibility. In effect their late delivery of software has caused inconvenience, which they are responsible for. Yes I installed it, because their track record so far has been fine, until now.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Im not question these other aspects, I'm questioning why the iPod touch 5th generation update to Beta 5 is not installing for so many people, and had no issues beforehand. Obviously Apple stuffed up, and their silence makes it worse. I installed Beta 5 just like every other beta, but this new beta wont install on the iPod touch, Apple stuffed it up not me. Because of their stuff up their current version has timed out - this has never happened before and should not happen.

Did I ask for a release date no, or mention performance no, or anything else no. Im merely asking why the iPod touch version is now installing, yet the iPhone 5 version had no issues.

Correction function, such as installing is not guaranteed, in fact, correction function should be a surprise. The purpose of beta is that the software isn't finished and to find problems. Moving through builds, some thigns get better, some things break. It's beta software, this is all acceptable and expected.

----------

Apple have a duty to release software which should install before the previous version expires so people are not locked out of their devices. This is their responsibility. In effect their late delivery of software has caused inconvenience, which they are responsible for. Yes I installed it, because their track record so far has been fine, until now.
You aren't talking about 'release software', we are talking about software clearly marked as Beta. You seem to struggle with this fact.

PubGuy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
Beta 5 seems OK to me

I had the same issue with my iPhone5 suddenly asking for activation, then realized I needed to update the firmware -- although when we downloaded the earlier beta's we were suppose to be getting OTA updates.

I installed 9 hours ago and my battery level is at 99% --> that seems to be a significant improvement to me. Guess we'll see how the rest of the day goes. Be happy if I can get back to 2 days usage again (AT&T).

Also, the iPhone5 beta is not compatible with the iPod Touch -- there is a separate firmware download for the iPod Touch (b141) whereas the iPhone5 is (b143) and includes the modem firmware. Apple lists 22 separate downloads for beta 5.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

----------

Can you not restore an iPod touch back to 6.0.1? And I have to agree with the others. The expiration of Jan 28 for Beta 4 has been know since it was released. Secondly, while I feel your pain and agree that is sux they pushed it so close, an iPod Touch not working is hardly an end of the world event. Plus you agree to these terms when you install beta software. Sorry but thats just the way it works.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Did a 3GS and a iPad 2, both updated without a hitch, and without dev ID needed.
I have a 3GS. In Windows do I hold the restore key and press restore, point it to the ipsw and update? How can we verify the ipsw is correct and from apple? The one I have is named: iPhone2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw

Maybe I'm to anxious to do this, but immediately after upgrading to ios 6 my sound has been giving me issues. Never an issue with 5.1.1.

Thank you.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I have a 3GS. In Windows do I hold the restore key and press restore, point it to the ipsw and update? How can we verify the ipsw is correct and from apple? The one I have is named: iPhone2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw

Maybe I'm to anxious to do this, but immediately after upgrading to ios 6 my sound has been giving me issues. Never an issue with 5.1.1.

Thank you.

Hold the shift key and then click on the restore button at the same time. (I personally clicked update instead of restore but I don't think it matters.) The file / update will be verified with Apple before it is loaded onto the device. Don't be worried. It's a really simple process and its not that hard...As long as you installed the file for the 3GS, which you did, you'll be fine (if you try to install an ipsw for a different device, you'll get an error and it won't install it).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Hold the shift key and then click on the restore button at the same time. (I personally clicked update instead of restore but I don't think it matters.) The file / update will be verified with Apple before it is loaded onto the device. Don't be worried. It's a really simple process and its not that hard...As long as you installed the file for the 3GS, which you did, you'll be fine (if you try to install an ipsw for a different device, you'll get an error and it won't install it).

I believe if you use update it keeps your data. Restore will start it out fresh.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Thank you! :)

If I choose shift/update, will it keep my data?

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I updated to beta 5 from 6.0.2. Something must have changed in regards to music playback via USB in cars because before I would have to control my music via the cars inbuilt controls and the screen would just say accessory connected and not let me do anything. Now I can select music from the Music app as if it was just playing through earphones. Whether that was in the earlier betas I don't know but it sure makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.