Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
You don't understand. You're post was idiotic and self indulgent at best. Who cares if you knew about it before MacRumors posted it? Who cares if you've found anything you can't post about because of your NDA? You haven't cared about your NDA before BTW with all of your lame threads about the graphical errors and bad icons you've found.

You're just full of it, Spaz.

I wasn't a developer back then. I can't go back and change the past. Would you rather I start posting more 3.0 threads and stuff? I didn't think so.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
The thing about Blu-Ray is that it will probably die as a medium. Sony had the field alone but never got universal release from the producers. Now it seems more likely that downloads in a 1080 environment (or even 720 as the cable types would like to have it) will take over. Why disc? FCP to drive is equal or greater than blue-ray.

Just the opposite is happening. Sales grew exponentially in the months leading to xmas, they sold 8 million discs in December 2008 alone. The format is succeeding almost as well as DVD did in the same point in its life. The player installed base has reached critical mass. A-list titles like Dark Knight are selling 25-35% of their volume in Blu-Ray. That's huge (apologies to Paris Hilton).

Maybe Apple was waiting to see what 2008 Xmas sales would look like, and they were indeed good.

Pure file-based distribution is a nice fantasy, but not ready for prime time. Blu-Ray give you 1080p video at high bitrates (I've seen as high as 45mbps), lossless 7.1 surround, and all the extras people got used to on DVD (commentaries, alternate soundtracks, etc.). And Blu-Ray already has the support of all the major movie studios. While iTunes has less than a dozen movies in total last I checked, and only offers them in 720p, at a price of $20. Add to that the net neutrality issue and ISPs alredy throttling down so-called unlimited bandwidth on heavy users. Pure file distribution is not ready for prime time.

Plus, downloads are always going to be optimized for download speed, not quality and bitrate.

Then there are the DRM and file format issues, versus just popping in a disc anywhere you want.

We will have at least one more physical format, and that's Blu-Ray. Apple is finally realizing it.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I wouldn't get too excited about Blu-ray just yet. As 9to5 points out, DVD wasn't in the previous description either.

Picture%203-1.png

Picture%2018(1).png

Actually what else wasn't in there was talk about "video related data" through GraceNote. I've always bemoaned that there was no CDDB equivalent for movies, perhaps now there is...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I wasn't a developer back then. I can't go back and change the past. Would you rather I start posting more 3.0 threads and stuff? I didn't think so.
You can't seriously be defending
"Since I'm officially a developer, I knew about this update before MacRumors did but, I'm not going to talk about it because I'm silenced by the NDA."
How could that have been anything other than tooting your own horn?

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Since I'm officially a developer, I knew about this update before MacRumors did but, I'm not going to talk about it because I'm silenced by the NDA.

Well i'm a developer too, have been since the original BETA program prior to the app store and i didn't know about the update until i read it on macrumors!
In fact, with all the updates, I usually get contacted by apple about a day after i read about it on macrumors lol ;)

Were you logging into the portal every day to check for updates? ;)
Either that or US devs get an email from apple earlier than UK devs...

xserve2

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Australia
I also have lost all music. But my Playlists are still there...with all the associated music. Weird.

From another thread - Just put your iPhone in your dock and connect to iTunes and then press songs - they all appear - no need for a resync - worked for me - I di have in b3 the lack of the bottom row in the Dialer but that has been fine since I did the UPDATE to b4, and I still have MMS and Tethering available [OPTUS Australia]

e747

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Brisbane, Oz
Talking about not talking about it doesn't do any harm. I wish I could post all of my cool new findings but, I don't feel like breaking the NDA. I also don't think it's illegal to read other people talking about it since most of the stuff I can experience first hand anyway.

Are you always this embarrassing?

Technically, yes you're correct - discussing pre-release software and posting screenshots, etc. is a breach of a developer's confidentiality agreement with Apple. However there's a big difference between discussing issues such as missing volume sliders and discussing the inner workings of the API and new classes, etc.

If you really do wish to post all your "cool new findings", say it on the iphone developer forum and then all us "Developers" can go over and read about them - no-one will be breaching any confidentiality agreements and we'll all sleep soundly at night.

Let me know when your post is up and I'll head over.

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Syncing Notes

I have read through this forum and have found out that notes requires 10.5.7, and i am still running beta 3 so i think it changed with the update of itunes and probably when the final release of itunes 8.2 comes out so will 10.5.7. But thats just me!

djpic

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Almost there...

I currently have a 17-inch MacBook Pro (2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM hard drive). Before I get a new MacBook Pro, I want to see the following:

- Intel Quad Processor
- At least 4GB of memory
- 500 to 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive or SSD
- Blu-Ray Burner

As of now, the current MacBook Pro version has 4GB of memory; I predict it hitting 8GB when the others catch up. If this latest iTunes refresh means possible blu-ray support, awesome! I hope by the end of this year, 3/4 of this list will be there. That is when my warranty runs out ;). My prediction is January 2010 or right before the holiday season, we will see:

- Intel Quad
- 8GB memory
- 500GB Hard Drive
- Blu-Ray Burner
- OS X Snow Leopard (of course)

In the $2,799 MacBook Pro (17-inch). I will be first in line!

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
all the blurays i have, have had an extra disc for the digital copy...

soooo... could/would Apple possibly use itunes as a bluray decoder for playback? perhaps a way to make the studios feel safer-some sort of way to detect a legit disc and authorize it? and thus a way to make you have to DL itunes and hopefully get hooked?

just some thoughts...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
all the blurays i have, have had an extra disc for the digital copy...

Yes, and it's DVD quality, rendering it pointless.

soooo... could/would Apple possibly use itunes as a bluray decoder for playback?

It is NOT that simple.

perhaps a way to make the studios feel safer-some sort of way to detect a legit disc and authorize it? and thus a way to make you have to DL itunes and hopefully get hooked?

iTunes is free... what the heck would that mean to anyone? People would simply rip out the code (except it isn't even possible to just "add" the code to iTunes) and use it separately with pirated rips. Heck, all pirated rips have their DRM removed, anyway, so there would be absolutely no point to iTunes being a "decoder".

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
Since I'm officially a developer, I knew about this update before MacRumors did but, I'm not going to talk about it because I'm silenced by the NDA.

Okay terrific. So "developer" what are you coding right now and what do you have out in the app store. What's that crickets?! Not everyone whose mommy and daddy purchased them the developer membership is a developer. Your post like many of your other posts was self serving and vacuous. Real developers wouldn't be jawwing about how they knew this stuff and the average user did not. They are trying to find the niche app and getting it bug free on 3.0 so they can be first out of the gate when this is released to the public.
That is all.

jeremyjacks

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
helping, i guess?

If :apple:Apple is making the download of iTunes 8.2 (or whatever) mandatory to keep out non-devs I don't see how that could be helping them. All the actual devs are all too busy making apps and stuff so there's no one to go show off the future features and get blackberry users all hyped up. ;-)

ncsmith4

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Anyone else seeing the very top "network, time and battery" bad disappear when on a call in beta 4? Its not a HUGE problem, but its strange. Thought Id report it...

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
The people with the disappearing volume slider, it disappears because you have it docked (in an FM transmitter, Bose dock, etc.) Which makes sense because when it is docked, the volume is not controlled with the phone's volume, but the dock volume. When you remove it from the dock the volume slides up (I noticed this when I turned my car off) and it's back.

Seems stable so far, the only thing that isn't is iPod.app which has been the buggiest app in all the betas which is upsetting. In this build, it can take a couple of seconds, 5 or so, to switch songs and sometimes no info will show up for song/artist/album it just says unknown for all 3. Other than that though, it's been pretty good.

impino26

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
its on ebay!!!

beta 4 and itunes 8.2 is on ebay. search for "udid" and youll find it. i just got mine. the guy was really nice! better hurry up too. ebay takes em down pretty quick

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
beta 4 and itunes 8.2 is on ebay. search for "udid" and youll find it. i just got mine. the guy was really nice! better hurry up too. ebay takes em down pretty quick

Are you openly posting about piracy? Thats what it is. Well I guess Apple will think twice about pre-releasing Beta 4 when that comes down the line because of unscrupulous people like yourself. THis is a developer build for paying developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.