Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm looking forward to TheSpaz's in depth BETA 4 analysis next week when he forgets about this thread.

Here's some more quotes if needed. Feel free to use them as you deem fit. I'm sorry Spaz, I'm sure you're a great guy, but these are golden.

Would you rather I start posting more 3.0 threads and stuff? I didn't think so.

Nobody should be talking about it in public forums.

I wish I could post all of my cool new findings but, I don't feel like breaking the NDA.

Mastidon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Beta 4 installed and running fine on my iPhones. It did not upgrade my Gen 1 touch though. I had to do a complete restore on it.

So far it looks exactly the same to me. Can't find any differences.

Strike that, Store now has an icon and you can view your account info. Not exactly a major new feature but nice to see it now n settings.

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Been reading through this thread, looking at TheSpaz replies etc, I am not a developer but my dad was stupid enough to download BETA 1 and install it, thus getting locked in and he decided to buy a legit certificate, thus I have access to it now, however I bothered to start something, not sure if I will ever release it, anyway, to continue on thespaz and how he claims he knew it would be out before everyone else, bollocks, we all know Apple are doing it Biweekly. Please shut up.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
TheSpaz must have a extra special developer account if he's managed to find lots of cool new 3.0 stuff and have confirmed advance notice of the beta release before anyone else!!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a novel idea:

Get back on topic, folks. No one cares whether or not anyone is a developer. Heck, I'm one, but what does that mean, really?

Let's get back to actually discussing the software at hand, shall we? I'd hate to have to report this thread for closing due to it having fallen into worthlessness.

fang3000

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Alright, anyway about the gps.. i just started using it even though i've had it for about 6 months now. I seem to be able to use it only when i'm walking for the live tracking thing.. when i'm in the car the circle around me is just pretty damn huge?

Your thoughts? Or tips?

Any sort of help or advice would be immensely appreciated!!

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Alright, anyway about the gps.. i just started using it even though i've had it for about 6 months now. I seem to be able to use it only when i'm walking for the live tracking thing.. when i'm in the car the circle around me is just pretty damn huge?

Your thoughts? Or tips?

Any sort of help or advice would be immensely appreciated!!

The car is made of metal, when you're walking, there is no giant metal roof above your head. Also, the car travels a lot faster than you can walk.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Been reading through this thread, looking at TheSpaz replies etc, I am not a developer but my dad was stupid enough to download BETA 1 and install it, thus getting locked in and he decided to buy a legit certificate, thus I have access to it now, however I bothered to start something, not sure if I will ever release it, anyway, to continue on thespaz and how he claims he knew it would be out before everyone else, bollocks, we all know Apple are doing it Biweekly. Please shut up.

I didn't say I knew about it or had it days before MacRumors. I just didn't have to wait for MacRumors to post that it was out because I can log into my developer account and look for myself. That's all I meant. I probably had it a few minutes before MacRumors said it was live. Relax guys.

Because of the NDA, I've not posted stupid threads about 3.0 graphical glitches lately and to all of you, that should be a good thing! Now I'm not talking about it and I still get picked on... there's no winning is there?

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Blu-Ray is just experiencing a slow adoption rate, but then again, so is HD in general. Look how many channels are not HD, not even fake HD.

That's not even true. Blu-Ray is being adopted faster than DVD was.

thedigitalbits.com said:
For meaningful comparison, here's some data from Adams Media Research showing the U.S. market penetration of other historical home entertainment technologies at the end of their respective third year of introduction:

TV - 3%
Color TV - .5%
VHS - .5%
CD - 1.5%
DVD - 4.5%
HDTV - 1%
Blu-ray - 7.75%

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I didn't say I knew about it or had it days before MacRumors. I just didn't have to wait for MacRumors to post that it was out because I can log into my developer account and look for myself. That's all I meant. I probably had it a few minutes before MacRumors said it was live. Relax guys.

Because of the NDA, I've not posted stupid threads about 3.0 graphical glitches lately and to all of you, that should be a good thing! Now I'm not talking about it and I still get picked on... there's no winning is there?
Keyword, "lately." ;)

Anyway there is one thing I've noticed in beta4 that is new - Japanese phone numbers are FINALLY formatting correctly (090 1234 5678, for example) but unfortunately now US numbers are not. :rolleyes:

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Uhh... that is evidence for Blu-ray, not against. The old iTunes could only work with CDs, so it only listed CDs... the new iTunes will work with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, so it lists CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.

As much as Apple attacks Microsoft for making things complicated, look at how many media apps are in Mac OS X:

iTunes
QuickTime
DVD Player

vs.

Windows Media Player

When a DVD or Blu-ray is inserted, it should appear under devices in iTunes, just like CDs do.

Kind of like:

iCal
Address Book
Mail

vs.

Outlook

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
so i can't use the live gps in the car?

You can, but it needs to have a GPS signal. There could have been all sorts of obstacles in the way of the GPS signal. If you have a blue dot on the screen, you've got a GPS signal. If there is a blue aura around the blue dot then you still have a GPS signal, but the accuracy has gone down so it creates the circle around the dot to indicate a margin of error. If the crosshairs are showing up then you do not have a GPS signal, the iPhone is finding your location based upon WiFi or cell tower data.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
How exactly do you get MMS working? It's there on mine running 3.0B4, but it shows a red error flag by the pic after I try to send.

Btw, using AT&T US.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
To have MMS working you need an AT&T MMS plan. AT&T has been told to refuse activation of MMS on iPhones. The only way to get it working is to take your SIM out, put it in another AT&T phone, call them up and let them know you will be using another phone for a while and need MMS service activated.

Then you can put it back in your iPhone and it will work.

How exactly do you get MMS working? It's there on mine running 3.0B4, but it shows a red error flag by the pic after I try to send.

Btw, using AT&T US.

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Beta 4 is seamless for me. It's as if Apple has lubricated the innards of the iPhone and everything is just blazing.

Honestly if I was sold this as a final product there will be no room for complaints at all.

biomorph

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Salt Lake City
Does the iPhone lock button work during a call?

Hi guys,
I installed OS 3.0 beta 4 and I noticed that when I am in the middle of a call and if I press the power button once it does not lock the screen, instead it ends the call. It used to lock the screen in previous versions. This would prevent me from accidentally touching buttons on the screen. Anyone else have this problem? I was in the middle of a call with a friend and kept hanging up on him repeatedly before I figured it out :).

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Hi guys,
I installed OS 3.0 beta 4 and I noticed that when I am in the middle of a call and if I press the power button once it does not lock the screen, instead it ends the call. It used to lock the screen in previous versions. This would prevent me from accidentally touching buttons on the screen. Anyone else have this problem? I was in the middle of a call with a friend and kept hanging up on him repeatedly before I figured it out :).

Doesn't happen for me. As far as I can tell, B4 is indiscernable from B3, other than being way smoother and minimal lag.

brandonk

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Hi guys,

Even under iPhone OS 2.x my iPhone always locked the screen and disconnected the call, which is a major issue for me since I have a defective power button that presses in way too easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.