Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Sounds good. I guess they've fixed whatever caused 20" iMacs to explode :D. Nice to see Carbon applications getting improvements as well as Cocoa - I find there is quite a difference in the performance of the two types. Also, I'm hoping the OpenGL improvements will be noticable in games playing.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
all the American's are still in bed!

I hope this update arrives soon, I reckon in the next week (not that there's really anything wrong with 10.3.2 mind)

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
So does this mean we'll see Powerbook G5s today?

:D

[I am kidding]
:p

What is interesting is where they say focus your testing.

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Excellent news - it seems ages since the previous seed was pulled. Hopefully this will be the last major set of bug fixes, and Apple can begin to focus more development attention on 10.4...

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
What you on about? 10.3.2 is awful on my 1.8 G5 and iBook, it crashes all the time - even got my first "You must restart" box the other day!

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by SpaceMagic
What you on about? 10.3.2 is awful on my 1.8 G5 and iBook, it crashes all the time - even got my first "You must restart" box the other day!
Have you tried an archive & install or something on your comps? Personally, 10.3.2 for me has been really stable. Only had to restart because of a game which doesn't like my video card :rolleyes:

stocke2

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
perl

hopefully they will put perl.h back in where it belongs, so I can install the perl modules I need

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
Hopefully this also includes the mLan updates so that the new Yamaha 01-X mixer/audio interface now has native support.
I note that the release asks developers to concentrate on Firewire/usb video/audio.

Anybody heard any more on this?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
i have a bad feeling about my protools system not functioning after the update. i might have to postpone the update for some time, until digidesign comments about this.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I also hope games will see a noticeable improvement, but I have a suspicion that it will be a fix for the "full-screen single color on resolution change" bug. If we're lucky, there will be both! (Remember Apple has had a few games developer conferences recently)

Two questions though:
What exactly is a high-level toolbox, I thought I had grasped the idea but now I'm not so sure. Can someone (possibly DaveL?) give a descent definition/explanation.

Also, there was a documented bug with 10.3.2 that slowed application startup, I'm not at the right machine at the mo, but when I get home I'll post the info. Anyone confirm if this is fixed or not? (Please don't confuse with the long system-startup bug). I'm refraining from installing developer builds when I'm not at home.

AppleMatt

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Though I know it ain't happening, I'd like Apple to put back network browswer that way it was back during 10.2.x and maybe have it so printer drivers would have actual controls again.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by MasterMac
Personally, 10.3.2 for me has been really stable. Only had to restart because of a game which doesn't like my video card :rolleyes:

Lucky you! On all my machines 10.3.2 causes the IP stack to freeze the machine after deep sleep or sometimes even after New Start. It never happened before the update.

I really hope that they fix this problem with 10.3.3! Otheriwse I will downgrade again to 10.3.1! :(

groovebuster

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've had very little in the way of stability problems with 10.3.2. I don't have any nagging issues I want to see fixed in 10.3.3; however, core OS updates are usually a good thing. Let's hope Apple and their army of testers can find and isolate the cause of any remaining bugs and get 10.3.3 to release quality within their expected timeframe for release (and don't encounter "showstopper" bugs like the problem with the earlier seed and the 20" iMac).

edit: grammar

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'll be happy if it solves the boot time issue. I rarely ever power down or restart, but it would be nice for it start up quickly again.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i guess i had heard that people were finding a way to decrease the start up time with 10.3.2. i'm not exactly sure, but i think i was hearing that the .2 upgrade some how neglected to link the proper files or whatever that would expedite the boot up process, and that you could fix it yourself in the console, or you could wait for the next upgrade. i wonder if there was any truth in that. what i really expect these upgrades to do is just that though. streamline processes, optimize routines and such so that there's a little bit of a speed boost, as well as fix the occasional bug. i'm curious as to what goes on behind the scenes with these things.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
I still haven't upgraded to 10.3, and I don't really see a reason too. I'm curious as to wether or not Apple is intending to update every .x increment, like 10.2-10.3-10.4? I don't really see the logic in it, especially considering that 10.2 still works perfect, at least for me. I can see why they need to update the OS, so don't misunderstand me. I just don't see the need to update the OS with a few improvements, every year.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yes it would be nice if the Finder didn't crash so often when browsing Windows networks.

As for the boot issue, I think I heard of something like that but I don't know what the hell I'm doing with the terminal so I leave well alone. I don't like executing a command that I have no idea what it's doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.