Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugly_dog

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
Australia
double icons

Well 10.3.2 behaved iimmaculately for me until I downloaded Safari 1.2. has done a few strange things since then uncluding acqlite regusing to work because it needed java 1.4.1 to start up.

Even had a kernel panic the other day as well.

Swearing at it and telling it that the java was already installed didn't work but i cheated my way around that.

I guess thal the main thing I hope for from 10.3.3 is that it will fix the double icons that appear on my desktop after I have burnt a DVD or CD.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Originally posted by iHack
PS. I do like win2K a lot btw. It looks spartan compared to OSX, but it just works for me, without fail. This is in case you restart your computer regularly - hardly any wintel user leaves his PC on/sleeping from day to day, but switches it off at the end of every work day. Does anyone know if W2K even has a BSOD?

Win2k is much better than either 98 or XP, but yes it does BSOD, I managed to make it ridiculously squirelly a few weeks ago when I tried to install scanner software. At first it would just hang, then boom big blue screen and restart.
And I have to say the 2k interface is ugly, even with some hacks it's still inelegant and I can't stand the task manager, now you hit ctrl-alt-delete and you get a screen, hit task manager, then let it redraw the screen, then close the program. It's gone from 1 obnoxious step in Win98 to five.
But, Win2k is better than 98 and better behaved than XP.

[edit for clarity, sorry about a really awful sentence]

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Originally posted by hulugu
I can't stand the task manager, now you hit ctrl-alt-delete and you get a screen, hit task manager, then let it redraw the screen, then close the program. It's gone from 1 obnoxious step in Win98 to five.
But, Win2k is better than 98 and better behaved than XP.

Try Ctrl-Shift-ESC; should work better for you

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I am not complaining about the number of updates or even paying for a 10.x new version. What I hate is how some of Apple's own software requires you to upgrade your OS - or at least it will at this rate.

Example: You bought an imac in Oct 03 w/10.2 (they didn't ship with 10.3). Wanted ilife 04 so that makes you upgrade to at least 10.2.6. What happens when ilife 05 comes out? My guess is you will need at least some 10.3.x version. So now you have to upgrade your OS just to get a new version of ilife. Then you can run in to the endless loop of having to upgrade your printer software because it won't work with the latest version and on and on. But I guess that is how Apple amassed that 4.8Billion cash reserve.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Originally posted by macnews
I am not complaining about the number of updates or even paying for a 10.x new version. What I hate is how some of Apple's own software requires you to upgrade your OS - or at least it will at this rate.

Example: You bought an imac in Oct 03 w/10.2 (they didn't ship with 10.3). Wanted ilife 04 so that makes you upgrade to at least 10.2.6. What happens when ilife 05 comes out? My guess is you will need at least some 10.3.x version. So now you have to upgrade your OS just to get a new version of ilife. Then you can run in to the endless loop of having to upgrade your printer software because it won't work with the latest version and on and on. But I guess that is how Apple amassed that 4.8Billion cash reserve.

But the same is true for Adobe software, or Macromedia or anything else. I mean, I can't expect to run all the latest software on old systems. The problem that you (and for good reason) are seeing is that, 'well, it's not that old'. Well, technology is here, and it's moving fast. I suggest to either buckle down and upgrade your system (because it's obvious that upgrading your other software is important to you) or don't upgrade your software (because it's obvious that upgrading your system isn't very improtant to you). It's all or nothing sometimes. eh? Such is life.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Originally posted by coumerelli
But the same is true for Adobe software, or Macromedia or anything else. I mean, I can't expect to run all the latest software on old systems. The problem that you (and for good reason) are seeing is that, 'well, it's not that old'. Well, technology is here, and it's moving fast. I suggest to either buckle down and upgrade your system (because it's obvious that upgrading your other software is important to you) or don't upgrade your software (because it's obvious that upgrading your system isn't very improtant to you). It's all or nothing sometimes. eh? Such is life.

You beat me to it Moore's Law, at least its popular definition, rears its ugly head. The software drives the hardware, always has. You want absolute performance with new software you need new hardware, however GB, for example, will work on slower G4 machines. Apple publishes minimum requirements to avoid fielding tech-help calls about why GB doesn't perform instantly on an old Blue & White. It will work, but not very well. The good thing at least, is Macs hold their value very well, so maybe it's time to sell.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Originally posted by Glial
Installed Win Server 2003 server today.

5 updates....not 355.

Can you post a link to your info?

It's from the 'Monitor Server' section of the Administration page of my company's Microsoft Software Update Services Server (SUS). Info about SUS is available here

SUS locally caches all available updates from MS Windows Update. I can then review and approve updates as necessary. Approved updates are automatically installed on domain clients on a daily basis. It also updates iits cache with new updates on a daily basis.

All told it's not a bad system, aside from the cost of having to maintain a representative sample of machines on which to test updates prior to approval , and a few other foibles. Though compared to the cost of rolling out a faulty update across 3 national sites, even that is worth it.

Note that the update cache includes all critical updates for all MS products on each platform, perhaps explaining the discrepancy. However, anyone who's also using SUS will confirm the figure.

Blazn5

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Washington Maryland
Whould this update fix the Fast User Switching problem in Panther? I want to switch user names but i just crashed and displays the spinning whirl of death. This isnt a G5 problem either, my friend with a G4 is having the same problem when trying to use FUS. By the way I would really be interested in decreasing boot time in Panther.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Originally posted by Blazn5
Whould this update fix the Fast User Switching problem in Panther? I want to switch user names but i just crashed and displays the spinning whirl of death. This isnt a G5 problem either, my friend with a G4 is having the same problem when trying to use FUS. By the way I would really be interested in decreasing boot time in Panther.

The bug might not actually be in FUS. It could be that one of the applications you're running when you attempt FUS doesn't play well with or isn't aware of it. If I knew what applications you were running at the time, I could confirm whether the problem is in an application rather than Mac OS X.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
The code to use in the console can be found if you search this forum, because that was where i got it from. And, it really does work...i was having to wait for the startup bar to go all the way across, but now it is just as snappy as 10.3...so, if you guys can find it on the site, i suggest doing it...or just wait until 10.3.3

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by spencecb
The code to use in the console can be found if you search this forum, because that was where i got it from. And, it really does work...i was having to wait for the startup bar to go all the way across, but now it is just as snappy as 10.3...so, if you guys can find it on the site, i suggest doing it...or just wait until 10.3.3

I will be patient spencecb, it is always good to have positive information. I'm sure that it will be even better.

Off topic. I have a brother-in-law that graduated from Miami University, Oxford. I'm an alumni of Miami University, Middletown. Our families are both native buckeyes. I received my nursing degree from them. Where did you grow up?

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by macnews

Get used to it. Apple is a public company. It's job is to make profits. I really don't see how it would possibly be worth it to them to put tons of extra effort in to support older OSes for people who aren't upgrading.

As for printing software (mentioned elsewhere in your rant)... what type of printer do you have that it breaks every OS version and the manufacturer doesn't have new drivers ready? Maybe it's time to put the blame where it belongs, which is firmly on the shoulders of the lazy asses who can't update their drivers in a timely fashion.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by jouster
Mmmmm..

I especially liked the one that borked battery life...or the one that hosed people's ethernet.

However, I don't recall the one that upgraded support for rose tinted spectacles. You certainly seem to have gotten it, though.

:rolleyes:

Apple's upgrades are *far* from perfect.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth ... where did I say perfect?

Bugs occur, that's a fact of software develpment and happens everywhere.

The point being: the MS performance decreases / feature removals are the purpose of the update (usually because of security concerns), not a fixable bug in the update.

fjleon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Finder CPU bug

My only problem (other than Mail cannot disable HTML mail) is that Finder gets stuck using more than 70% cpu when doing some operations.

For example, i have unzipped a file on the desktop, then selected it, and pressing apple-delete to send it to the trash, sometimes that makes finder use that much cpu (i notice because the fan turns on and the powerbook gets hot)

lha72

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Hawaii
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
The bug might not actually be in FUS. It could be that one of the applications you're running when you attempt FUS doesn't play well with or isn't aware of it. If I knew what applications you were running at the time, I could confirm whether the problem is in an application rather than Mac OS X.

I get the same result when I attempt FUS on my G4 dual. Have had the problem throughout all the Panther updates. The only other software running in the background is Norton Internet Security. I called applecare and they told me to format the disk and reinstall everything. I'm not going to do that. Welcome any other suggestions.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Re: double icons

Originally posted by ugly_dog
Well 10.3.2 behaved iimmaculately for me until I downloaded Safari 1.2. has done a few strange things since then uncluding acqlite regusing to work because it needed java 1.4.1 to start up.

Even had a kernel panic the other day as well.

Swearing at it and telling it that the java was already installed didn't work but i cheated my way around that.

I guess that the main thing I hope for from 10.3.3 is that it will fix the double icons that appear on my desktop after I have burnt a DVD or CD.

No Kernel Panic after 3 weeks using 10.3.3. Using Safari 1.2, have learned to live with its inadequacies. My only big problem is that Mail doesn't work at all.

I haven't copied a CD in X yet. In Mac 9.1.1, had that annoying problem of double icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.