MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has seeded a second version of Mac OS X 10.5.4 to developers today. While the latest build (9e12) fixes a dozen more issues in Mac OS X Leopard, the biggest new feature to be supported will be Apple's recently announced MobileMe service. MobileMe is Apple's .Mac replacement service which will allow users to sync contacts, email, and calendar across various devices. It also provides advanced web applications to access your information anywhere with a web browser.

Apple has announced that MobileMe will be launched in early July. Apple's system requirements for MobileMe includes Mac OS X 10.5.4 as well as iTunes 7.7, so we expect these two updates to also be released in early July.

Apple provides a Frequently Asked Questions document for existing .Mac customers who will be transitioning to MobileMe.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It was a pain to upgrade to 10.5.3 but I'm not having any problems with it after a clean install.

What are other users encountering?

Comment

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
I'm anxious to try out my new Mobile Me account, although I don't care for the name.

It'll be nice to not have to manually sync all of my machines to .Mac anymore.

Hooray for the omnipotent cloud.

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
The one thing that I am still waiting for is a smooth animation when you open a file with quite a lot of items in grid mode, I have had my Applications folder on my dock since 10.5.0, and even with the small graphic change in 10.5.2 (or maybe it was 10.5.1) it is still choppy. I wish that they would fix this.

Comment

taintedwheat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It was a pain to upgrade to 10.5.3 but I'm not having any problems with it after a clean install.

My MBP wakes from sleep with the lid closed, though only when its connected to the power supply. I'm probably going to do a clean install once 10.5.4 hits

Comment

divabimbers

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
Does this mean then that MobileMe won't work for those still on 10.4.11? That kind of stinks but I understand that this is a part of technology progression. I'll just have to wait until I can upgrade to Leopard.

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I assume 10.4.12 will arrive as well.

I would assume not, from Apple's site here is how they list Tiger Requirements:
System Requirements

Compatible device: Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPod touch.
For Mac: Mac OS X v10.4.11 or latest version of Mac OS X Leopard; Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later.
For PC: Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2) or later; Internet Explorer 7, Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later. Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later recommended.
For iPhone and iPod touch: 2.0 software.
iTunes 7.7 or later (free download from http://www.itunes.com/download).
Internet access with compatible ISP (broadband required for web applications); fees may apply.
Some features require Mac OS X v10.5 and iLife ’08.

Comment

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Can someone with access to this seed let us know if it provides support for running multiple mobileme accounts on one user account?

I would really like to buy mobileme for both my self and my small business, but I would need the ability to run both simultaneously.

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
As a current .mac user, I'm excited about MobileMe. Now I'm waiting for July 11 to get my iPhone 3G. So I welcome 10.5.4 as it would make the overall experience that much better :D

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
though I would think they would need to release some sort of update. MobileMe has all new features that don't exist in 10.4.11.

arn

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/pricing/

System Requirements

Compatible device: Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPod touch.
For Mac: Mac OS X v10.4.11 or latest version of Mac OS X Leopard; Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later.
For PC: Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2) or later; Internet Explorer 7, Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later. Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later recommended.
For iPhone and iPod touch: 2.0 software.
iTunes 7.7 or later (free download from http://www.itunes.com/download).
Internet access with compatible ISP (broadband required for web applications); fees may apply.
Some features require Mac OS X v10.5 and iLife ’08.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
July 11th is going to be like Christmas. ATV, osx, iPhone, mobileme, iPhoto (possible) all hopefully updated on the same day.

Comment

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World

I'm having weird flashing windows (mostly in Finder and Safari), just like I was switching focus from one window to an other, really fast... I have to manually select a Finder window to make it stop...

Also, live previews for files in the Finder are cool but when it hangs my Finder, I find it useless (or unpolished).

Comment

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Can someone with access to this seed let us know if it provides support for running multiple mobileme accounts on one user account?

I would really like to buy mobileme for both my self and my small business, but I would need the ability to run both simultaneously.

Anyone with the seed is not allowed to disclose that information.

However, I can speculate that this will not likely be possible outside of Mail. Mail supports multiple accounts so it may work, but iPhoto, Calendar, etc. aren't geared toward that.

There are some alternatives:
- use one .Mac account with mail aliases. Have one alias for work, and the other for personal use. Then use Rules to filter the mail into separate mailboxes.
- use multiple calendars in iCal for work and home

or make one username for work and one for home.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.