Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded developers with a new version of Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Build 9F9) to test. The latest seed comes just one week after the prior seed.

The newest seed lists 24 new fixes addressed in this seed with a focus on Sync Services, Mail and Addressbook.

Apple has started aggressively seeding Mac OS X builds shortly after the last release. The last version of Mac OS X was released on June 30th, 2008 and provided support for MobileMe services.

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
In recent months Apple has sped up the delivery of Leopard updates. 10.5.3 was in the end of May and 10.5.4 at the end of June.

At this rate 10.5.6 will be released by the end of the year.

pkoury

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
So when they release Snow Leopard will they continue to update Leopard or are they trying to get all the bugs worked out so they don't have to continue support?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to iron out all the remaining bugs with Active Directory integration. It's improved with the last couple updates, but until it functions as well as it did in Tiger, it's hard to deploy it.

Come on, Apple. You talk a good game when it comes to the enterprise, now give us the goods. :rolleyes:

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
Let us hope they fix Front Row with this update. :mad:

and

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to iron out all the remaining bugs with Active Directory integration. It's improved with the last couple updates, but until it functions as well as it did in Tiger, it's hard to deploy it.

Come on, Apple. You talk a good game when it comes to the enterprise, now give us the goods. :rolleyes:

Register a free online developer account
File a detailed bug report
Track its progress (or lack thereof!)

This is a great way to make sure Apple is aware of a bug that's impacting you.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
So when they release Snow Leopard will they continue to update Leopard or are they trying to get all the bugs worked out so they don't have to continue support?

Boy, I hope that is what they are doing. Maybe then Jobs' cultists will stop defending Apple's policy of dropping support for an OS just because they are releasing a newer one.

Five years of security updates after last sale, or BUST!

Windows 2000 gets updates until July 2010 (equivalent Apple last-sale of October 2001: That's 8.75 years of support) and Windows XP is getting updates until April 2014 (7.25 years of support with equivalent Apple last-sale of January 2007).

Apple still issues QuickTime updates to 10.3, because they are greedy with the iTunes Store, but they can't be bothered to issue security updates for the overall OS.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
In recent months Apple has sped up the delivery of Leopard updates. 10.5.3 was in the end of May and 10.5.4 at the end of June.

At this rate 10.5.6 will be released by the end of the year.

Which shows that Leopard clearly was rushed to release with lots of problems.

I'd prefer that Apple takes their time and does a better initial release.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Register a free online developer account

Been a registered developer for years now.

File a detailed bug report

Have already done it for two different Active Directory plug-in issues in Leopard.

Track its progress (or lack thereof!)

In both cases, I was told it was a known issue and they were looking into it.

This is a great way to make sure Apple is aware of a bug that's impacting you.

That's debatable. :)

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Any general system fixes? It saddens me that I only see fixes to specific apps and services I don't use.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In both cases, I was told it was a known issue and they were looking into it.

Consider yourself lucky. When Tiger was released I reported that the option in International preferences for customising number formats disappeared. They closed the bug as "third-party to resolve" :confused:

AJ1BostonMASS

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Hey so im new to a mac and i have leopard and i think its great and really dont care much about rumors of snow leopard but the only think is if its so rushed and lets just say it has bugs can my macbook be switched to snow leopard if its a better OS?

thanks
-AJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.