Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150953-snow_leopard_box_90.jpg

World of Apple reports that Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.4, termed Build 10F46, to developers. The report notes that the update currently weighs in at 573.1 MB and asks developers to focus on GraphicsDrivers, SMB, USB, VoiceOver, and VPN. Apple also highlights nearly a dozen issues addressed in the update and lists one known issue in the current build involving an error message with fonts.
Apple today gave a select number of developers access to the second build of Mac OS X 10.6.4. Build 10F46 includes a multitude of fixes and just one known issues affecting a font within the operating system.
Apple seeded Build 10F37 of Mac OS X 10.6.4 to developers just last week, focusing on many of the same areas. Mac OS X 10.6.3 was released to the public in late March and brought a significant number of fixes to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.4 Build 10F46 to Developers

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Looks like this should be a nice bug fix release for those of you who have troubles with SMB shares.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
700mb + 530 + what else?

I just find it cute that apple bragged about how small snow leopard was on the install (something like 4GB) but their updates are each 500+ MB each. :D

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
So?

that doesn't mean all of that will end up staying on your system. Much of it is probably a replacement for bad code.

Did anyone expect different after a major re-write of the OS? Myself, Snow Lep has been rock solid.

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
Don't release this until there is a fix for the bug in the Active Directory Plugin, Apple!

10.6.3 users that are bound to AD and using a mobile account cannot change their AD password if it expires..

This is a real nasty one in the enterprise, I am surprised it got past QA (normally it is very good)...

This is holding up some deployments for me at the moment...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just find it cute that apple bragged about how small snow leopard was on the install (something like 4GB) but their updates are each 500+ MB each. :D

Not that your message warrants a response, but a large part, if not all, of that update replaces existing files, so it's not increasing the installation size by 500+ MB each time.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

They replace the original system files with the updated files. It's not padding 500+ to the 4GB. It's only adding on whatever was changed, not to mention it include drivers even for systems that don't need it. That's why you often see people with certain models getting 200MB updates, some 50MB and some full size.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
So has anyone idea what GraphicsDrivers are we talking about here? Hardware h.264 acceleration for ATI and Nvidia 8xxx cards?

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I hope this update fixes my [obscure problem here]. It's been broken since the [several years ago] update. Also, while this news is exciting, I'm really waiting for Apple to refresh the line of [Apple product totally unrelated to this post]. [jab at flash here]

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
These update sizes are a bit outrageous. Snow Leopard should have cooked for longer.

I assume you are taking the piss, but in case you're not. The actual size of the update is not really a good measure of how much has changed, something which should be obvious if you think about it. Most people, unless they use the combo update, wont see an update this big. On the other hand, if the size of the update is the only thing you can find fault with, id say that apple is doing very well.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I hope this update fixes my [obscure problem here]. It's been broken since the [several years ago] update. Also, while this news is exciting, I'm really waiting for Apple to refresh the line of [Apple product totally unrelated to this post]. [jab at flash here]

This is the best post I have seen here in a LONG time.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I'm glad Apple keeps focusing on graphics drivers. These have been terrible in OS X for quite a while and it's time for Apple to step up its game, especially with Steam rolling in next week. When the same games don't run as well in OS X as they do in Boot Camp, this becomes ever more apparent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.