Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm with you on this one.
I have the feeling that they make changes like crazy however none of them seems to impact the OS itself except apps that can run on it.

Besides, they take longer time to release a final stable version - iOS is priority.

They seem to plan to kill the mac or what? TV App and News app - WTx????

I don't care for those on a laptop! I can open browser and check news there. No need for unified app and kill an entire OS for it.

I am extremely sad to see this OS in its current state. Not saying it's bad but it points to a direction which is not encouraging and seems to get all the hipsters to edit their Slofies and whatever dumb thing Apple comes with on their mobile devices.....

I do happen to play media through iTunes on my mac, but iTunes needs to die. It is well overdue, it is the worst software Apple have ever made in terms of UI and is actively responsible for many people never even buying anything Apple makes. it's that bad - it is the first and only experience a lot of PC users have with Apple software and it is complete trash.

So. They need to replace the functionality. The seperate TV and Music apps (that already exist on iOS) make sense.

You may not use the news app, but it, along with the tv and music apps above is another opportunity to real-world-test the IOS/MacOS API compatibility. If you don't use it... don't use it? Delete it?

Like it or not the mass market wants the features apple is rolling out. Don't use them/like them? Ignore them. There's plenty of other new stuff in new macOS releases that are good things. Like Apple watch for security prompts, etc.

IMHO apple is the only OS vendor actually doing anything new and exciting (essentially making applications that work across different form factors with the same data for different devices), Microsoft are still back-pedalling from the Windows 8 UI disaster, that was massively panned even in Windows 8 betas, but MS ignored the feedback and crashed and burned in the market.

Linux? Well... (and i say this as a Linux user both at home and at work) - they've finally been dragged kicking and screaming into the base level of functionality that we should have had on desktop unix 20 years ago (almost... OS X came out in 2001 from memory and even back then was more feature complete as a desktop).

Reactions: Zdigital2015

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Hold on... What?
Apple. Is punishing top customers?

Please explain how any person on the earth, that installed Catalina developer preview, is one a top customer. And two, a top customer. Three, being punished.

This explanation is going to be either trash or enlightening.
Hell I was just sitting here thinking that I had a choice to install Catalina, I didn't even know they forced it on me, after I was forced to pay for the option to be able to download it.

That top customer comment though is still got me stumped.
What makes one a top customer? Is this personal opinion or known fact by everyone?

I’ll do my best. AppleTV app does not have ability to load content from large libraries. So, if you purchased a ton of TV shows or movies, you can’t stream and the library tab always fails to load.

So, the more money you once spent is no longer supported in the streaming world. (Small libraries work, but again, big library = big customer)

Anyway, I hope that clarifies. I’m highly reluctant to get rid of iTunes because as sloth-like as it is, at least it works.
[automerge]1569302712[/automerge]
It's brutal. The Finder process for restoring an iOS device is awful. Not even a progress bar. Catalina has been a disaster on my 5K iMac. No brightness or volume control, music sync with iPods is busted, I have high hopes for beta 9, dowloading now.

I read on twitter b9 is still really bad. What are you finding?

I may not upgrade until the end of the year for Catalina or iOS 13. Something is really offf with Apple.

Reactions: unfunfionn

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
Is it me, or does someone say this every beta? It's a beta, y'all, and I've seen much worse betas.

They do, but it's not usually this buggy at the end of September. iOS 13.1 is also still quite patchy, just not as bad. tvOS 13 by contrast seems extremely stable, although with some terrible new features making it feel just as frustrating.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It fixed my Messages (iMessage) notification bug whereby they often came in with no sound or badge icon, and those options would randomly disappear from Sys Prefs / Notifications.

Someone above asked where the cloud docs are ... they've not moved since the previous beta and are in
~/Library/Mobile Documents. A few betas ago they were in ~/Library/CloudStorage but no longer.

One of my Applescripts is still failing. I doubt it's a permissions issue as it just sets alarms on calendar events but the error message is like a short story and "more than 10" is logged against my Feedback.

Mail notifications still occasionally don't work properly. This has been the case for years.

What else ... ah yeah, sometimes after waking from sleep the laptop won't access the WiFi despite the WiFi icon stating it's reconnected ok. I have to toggle it off/on. This has also been the case for years.

Reactions: GadgetBen

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
What else ... ah yeah, sometimes after waking from sleep the laptop won't access the WiFi despite the WiFi icon stating it's reconnected ok. I have to toggle it off/on. This has also been the case for years.

I was starting to think it was just me. I frequently need to restart my Mac to get back online. This is despite it behaving like it's connected. Pages just don't stop loading and there is never an error message. Same in Mojave and High Sierra.

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I was starting to think it was just me. I frequently need to restart my Mac to get back online. This is despite it behaving like it's connected. Pages just don't stop loading and there is never an error message. Same in Mojave and High Sierra.
I sometimes get a (!) in the WiFi icon which means there's no internet access. However, I can't access the router homepage or a connected NAS, which means there's actually no LAN access either. For me, toggling WiFi off/on solves the issue and I don't have to reboot. It's still irritating though, as it surprises me Apple can't consistently fix something almost everyone with a laptop uses.

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
it surprises me Apple can't consistently fix something almost everyone with a laptop uses.

There are a few of those issues in macOS though. For me the biggest one is how pinch to zoom stops working under heavy usage, so you need to open trackpad settings and turn it off and on again. As a designer, this is an absolute productivity killer. It happens daily, it's widely reported, they're aware of the issue, and it never gets fixed.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Broke my heart when neither Borderlands 2 (needs update) or The Pre-Sequel (32-bit) worked yesterday when I loaded up beta 9. Oh well. Minor issues - very stable otherwise. While I won't back up to Time Machine again quite yet, this is good.

On the topic of games, trying to launch Minecraft and BL2 then force-quitting them after a couple failed launches prompted the process "watchdog" to kernel panic yesterday. Dunno what that was all about.

Last edited:

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Downloaded the PB this morning and everything appears to be working more smoothly. The issues for me all start from sleep/wake, but so far nothing has crashed during sleep and there have not been any forced restarts.

That's my experience of it so far, be good to hear from others.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I'm really not having any significant issues on this beta. Music is still a little basic, as are Podcasts and Apple TV apps. Even so I'm enjoying them, and sound quality in Music seems a little better, that could be placebo though, or I've changed something else without realising. Anyone else notice anything sound quality wise? Still can't tell Siri to play something on a speaker in a different room, but that didn't work for me on Mojave either.

Apple Watch allows me to unlock different apps and security features. VMWare Fusion is running well. All other main Apple apps seem OK to me at the moment.

It seems stable enough, definitely nothing that makes me want to tear my hair out. Reasonably fast and smooth too. Obviously now that I've said that my Mac mini will set itself on fire.

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
iCloud Music uploads aren't working properly; Music is separating songs out of complete albums which are tagged exactly the same, verified in about 3 tagging apps I have that confirm they're all part of the same album. It's also not picking up album art which is part of the metadata of the album in question. Time will tell. I doubt what I've written here comes as any surprise to iTunes users over the years...

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Hi all,

I finally took the leap and installed Catalina ... all seems to be working well except sidecar only seems to work once then requires a Mac reboot to work again. The second time I try to launch Sidecar it does connect but just shows a black screen on the iPad, a reboot fixes it.

Anyone else experiencing this ? Is there a quicker way to get it working again without a reboot ?

thanks
Adam

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
iCloud Music uploads aren't working properly; Music is separating songs out of complete albums which are tagged exactly the same, verified in about 3 tagging apps I have that confirm they're all part of the same album. It's also not picking up album art which is part of the metadata of the album in question. Time will tell. I doubt what I've written here comes as any surprise to iTunes users over the years...
We are tracking music updates and bugs here.

Reactions: Mike Haas

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
There are a few of those issues in macOS though. For me the biggest one is how pinch to zoom stops working under heavy usage, so you need to open trackpad settings and turn it off and on again. As a designer, this is an absolute productivity killer. It happens daily, it's widely reported, they're aware of the issue, and it never gets fixed.

And I thought I was the only one with this issue. Drives me nuts with Mojave. Happens constantly using FCPX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.