Apple Seeds OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One week after the previous developer seed, Apple late yesterday pushed out Build 11D46 of OS X 10.7.3 to registered developers. Apple continues to report no known issues in the seed notes, and asks developers to focus their testing on iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari.

The file size has once again grown slightly, with the delta version of the new build for updating from OS X 10.7.2 weighing in at 996.98 MB and a combo version good for updating from any previous version of OS X Lion weighing in at 1.26 GB.

The previous 11D42 build had appeared to be close to a final release, but Apple is clearly still making some final tweaks to the update. The release description has indicated that the main improvements in OS X 10.7.3 will be support for several new languages and fixes for issues related to smart cards, directory services authentication, and Windows file sharing.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to Developers

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
As the mac market continues to grow, it would be nice to see some more focus on Graphics Drivers. We could really use some OpenGL 4.x whenever you're ready, Apple! No games are really gonna be using that for some time, but it would be nice to have the features available.

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
As the mac market continues to grow, it would be nice to see some more focus on Graphics Drivers. We could really use some OpenGL 4.x whenever you're ready, Apple! No games are really gonna be using that for some time, but it would be nice to have the features available.
I'd like that, too, but it's kind of a chicken-and-the-egg problem. Why should Apple make drivers for it if there aren't any apps for it? And why develop apps for it if there's no support in the OS? Hopefully someone puts an end to it & develops something w/ OpenGL 4.x.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I'd like that, too, but it's kind of a chicken-and-the-egg problem. Why should Apple make drivers for it if there aren't any apps for it? And why develop apps for it if there's no support in the OS? Hopefully someone puts an end to it & develops something w/ OpenGL 4.x.
Apple should support OpenGL4.x because it improves their product...

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Apple should support OpenGL4.x because it improves their product...
Apple should use their resources on features actually USED by developers and end-users. Not some stuff that may come in handy at some future point in time.

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Gfx drivers indeed are always better, for some gfx cards from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2 performance are even 20% better.
As far I know 10.7.3 will boost performance again, simply Apple didn't write it in the changelog.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Apple should use their resources on features actually USED by developers and end-users. Not some stuff that may come in handy at some future point in time.
The issue is that if sometime in the future the tech starts being viable, and only the current version of OS X (v10.9 lets say) supports it, it puts devs in a position where there isn't really much point in adopting the tech if only a fraction of their users actually have it.

EDIT: It also puts the devs in a position where they have to balance the imbalance of capabilities between OpenGL on other platforms and the one on the Mac. Either they only support the lowest common denominator of features supported by all platforms, they support fewer features in their Mac OS GL Engine, or they take the much easier approach and not support Mac OS at all. That way they can go all the way up to 4.x with no problem (or just use DirectX). This is all future thinking mind you, but I think it's very valid.

Last edited:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Directory Service Authentication fix better work. It's very frustrating supporting execs with new MacBook Airs on some domains. I had to revert to rsync in a few environments to make using the Air possible. Very frustrating.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shrink said:
The egg came first! :D
Oh, really!!??

Where did it come from. It appeared ex nihilo? :D

(How's this for a deep philosophical discussion! :p)
Actually the chicken came first ex nihilo.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Oh, really!!??

Honestly, I think some of this philosophy was created by fools. If you ask me, the chicken evolved the way it did to better protect its offspring. If something happens to the parent, the eggs are still safe. So, if you think about it this way, then undoubtedly the chicken (or its ancestors rather) must have come first.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Honestly, I think some of this philosophy was created by fools. If you ask me, the chicken evolved the way it did to better protect its offspring. If something happens to the parent, the eggs are still safe. So, if you think about it this way, then undoubtedly the chicken (or its ancestors rather) must have come first.
OMG, you took me seriously! Now I feel like a jerk for making light of it.:eek:

Your response is interesting and compelling from an evolutionary perspective. In truth, I never really thought about it seriously. Thanks for putting me straight.:D

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
How are the eggs safe if something happens to the parent? Are they self-incubating? There have been eggs since long before chickens, and chicken-ancestors since long before eggs (if you go back to the first life).

There's no sensible answer to the question from an evolutionary perspective (and I have a Genetics degree).

AnonMac50

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Oh, really!!??

I think the egg came first…reptiles, fish…

Unless those are chickens too. They probably evolved from them, yes, but they are not chickens I don't think, so I guess the egg came first. :D

edi15ta

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Whooping 996MB!!! Seems like 1/3 of the system was repolished...

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Whooping 996MB!!! Seems like 1/3 of the system was repolished...
Not that unusual for a system update - they send a lot of content down because making changes in one area requires changes (sometimes minor) in other areas even of these areas were never targeted.

Don't read to much into the file sizes.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Now that's deep. :)

I'm eggstactic over this discussion ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

Still no fix for Mission Control I imagine...
As in, bringing back 10.5/6 "Exposé" and "Spaces"? I wish. I was able to get 3D "Spaces"-sque back with "Change Space". Great app, even brings back the menubar desktop indicator. I donated to the developer as it's still technically in test phase but even so works almost exactly like the previous "Spaces" app. Now if we only could get "Exposé" "Show All Windows" to return...

Last edited: