Apple Seeds Second Beta of iOS 11.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming iOS 11.4 update to developers, two weeks after releasing the first beta and three weeks after releasing iOS 11.3, a major update that introduced several new features.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 11.4 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

The iOS 11.4 update introduces a new ClassKit framework for educational institutions, which will support new features announced at Apple's March 27 event.

For standard users, the iOS 11.4 update adds features that were originally present in the iOS 11.3 beta but removed ahead of release. It includes support for Messages on iCloud, designed to store your iMessages in iCloud and sync them across devices.

There's also support for AirPlay 2 features, with the Apple TV once again available in the Home app. With AirPlay 2, the same audio content can be played in multiple rooms. On the HomePod, there are signs of support for stereo sound, but stereo sound is not currently available as it requires 11.4 HomePod software not available for developers.

iOS 11.3, the previous update, introduces a new Battery Health feature for monitoring the status of your iPhone's battery, Business Chat for iMessage, which lets you communicate with companies directly in the Messages app, ARKit 1.5 with augmented reality improvements, new Animoji on iPhone X, Health Records from participating medical providers, and more.

Update: Mentions of the non-functional HomePod stereo pairing feature have been removed in iOS 11.4 beta 2, and Apple has added a new (PRODUCT)RED wallpaper for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of iOS 11.4 to Developers

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

3. b4ulaf macrumors newbie

b4ulaf

Not available for me yet on iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5".

4. DoogH macrumors newbie

5. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502

mujtaba.mir

So no 11.3.1 today then.
    15F5049c build number for beta 2.

6. JonoH macrumors member

JonoH

7. ruchern macrumors regular

8. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Available in the dev portal via IPSW, just finished installing.

9. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

10. calstanford macrumors member

Is their endless failure to launch iMessages in the cloud the reason iMessages have been ****ed up in all of iOS11 so far? Even with 11.3 I still get out of order or missing messages. It's beyond pathetic by now.

11. CentralOffice macrumors regular

12. ridgezin macrumors newbie

Available for me OTA. It just finished downloading and is preparing to install...

13. cwagdev macrumors newbie

cwagdev

This is a good thing. They need to get it right. There’s a lot at play with iMessage’s encryption features.

14. theman510 macrumors 6502a

Will iMessage in the cloud enable me to use icloud.com to access and write messages?

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

No.

16. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

How is this different than what happens now? I get all my messages across all my devices, and if I read them on one device they are marked read and the notification goes away on my other devices. What is this new messages on iCloud adding? The ability to read them when I don't have any of my devices?

That sounds like a security nightmare for a fairly niche benefit.

17. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

Patience is a virtue.
    Finally. Béta 11.4.1 was a disaster for me.

18. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Wonder if 11.4 will be released before the X plus is released .

19. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

No

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

iCloud messages is new, you can not have the features you mentioned before on lets say 11.1/2/3

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Why are you acting like you understand the reason for not launching it, as if you know it’s somehow related to a lack of competency?

22. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I'm not a registered developer so I won' be getting this until the Public Beta is out. :p

23. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

OK - well I do. It has been doing those things ever since I got my iPhone X. None of that is new. Maybe it's because of Digits, but all my messages already sync across all my devices.

And I don't understand the date structure you listed. I can't have it until November 1st to the 3rd?

24. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

11.4.x will be end of the road for iOS 11 right?

25. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

I'm sure it was a disaster! They haven't even gotten 11.4 out the door and you're running 11.4.1. ;)