Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2018.

1. m_emelchenkov macrumors member

m_emelchenkov

It's interesting, have they fixed "black boxes" bug with Intel HD cards and non-default ICC profiles?
    I truly believe they should stop releasing new version of OS every year. They just have lack of resources to polish it good enough.

2. parsonsmike macrumors member

can anyone tell me whether there’s any reason to upgrade to HS yet?

I had a 2016 MBP and I upgraded it to 10.13.1, which was a hot mess. There were all sorts of instability issues, finder slowdowns, just general ugliness. But then I sold that machine, downgraded to a 2015 MBP, which came with Sierra on it. I haven’t upgraded back to HS because my earlier experience was so awful.

Again, serious question here: 10.13.1 was awful. Is it at all compelling as an upgrade yet?

3. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

That’d be a lot easier to answer if you could be more specific on the issues you encountered. Cause then, someone could confirm they had the same issue in 10.13.1, but doesn’t in 10.13.3.

Otherwise, it’s pretty meaningless.

I’ve been on HS since 10.13.0, and while some issues were annoying, none ever made me want to downgrade. And of the annoyances, most were gone by around 10.13.2.

4. hsotnicam8002, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Yes, the blue and red images in preview and photos, respectively, are still there! :mad:

And Photos in iCloud are also red!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

iBooks is replaced with Books.o_O

5. furbzv1 macrumors 65816

furbzv1

6. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

this update totally stopped my MacBook Pro 2017 from turning on.... going to retry the update now

7. iansilv macrumors 65816

Does this release allow office 2016 to run over local network accounts?

8. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Beta 1 was a train wreck for me. Could only boot in Safe Mode. Beta 2 fixed my boot problem. Back to normal Silly me for assuming and not cloning my SSD before beta.

9. parsonsmike macrumors member

Well, I’ll pick my favorite. Finder quicklook was utterly incapable of doing its job without a 3-5 second delay before opening a file, a problem that my 6 year old MBA never had, and which made HS completely broken for my workflow, which involves frequently needing to quicklook hundreds of PDFs.

Runner up would be the 10-20 second beachball navigating to folders with >100ish files. Again, I have to quickly move back and forth between scores of folders, each with hundreds of PDFs, so this was a fun problem.

10. IdleWanderlust macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried searching for files on a shared drive? With 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 the results are all broken alias links rather than the actual results. This may have been broken before but I didn't install High Sierra until 10.13.2.

11. LinkinJunior macrumors regular

LinkinJunior

Any problems on a 2014 Mac Mini with External SSD as startup drive?

12. killawat macrumors 65816

Egpu functionality is removed from older thunderbolt macs (1 and 2) according to eGPU.io. It could be a bug, but with all the other changes going on it’s hard to to imagine this wasn’t intentional.

13. TheColtr macrumors 6502

I didn’t know eGPU was ever supported under the old thunderbolt standard. I thought you had to have the throughput of TB3 for it to function correctly

14. jln9899 macrumors newbie

jln9899

Oh, that's nice... My Messages app won't open at all. It'll say it's running but no window. Clicking on, "Messages" "Files" "Edit" etc on toolbar, all options are greyed out. *sigh*

15. killawat macrumors 65816

Almost, eGPU was never officially supported on TB1/TB2 but it would definitely work at those speeds.

I think many of them expected this to happen because Apples verbiage somewhere says “eGPU support only on Thunderbolt 3” but they didn’t expect Apple to (purposefully or not) break the existing hacks to get it going. The eGPU scene is like an opera some days it’s really good (like bugfixes on this release) sometimes it’s really bad (like existing solutions breaking).

16. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

For what I have been able to test in some stores, and what I've seen over the internet, macOS 10.13.3 is far more stable than it was the mess of 10.13.1. So much, that I'm going to jump to 10.13.3 very soon on my 13" MacBook Pro 2010. I predict 10.13.3 will be the most stable High Sierra release for long time, because 10.13.4 implements some new features.

17. mzeb macrumors regular

mzeb

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/ is a good place to start your research and ask questions. I’m “mzeb” there as well. Feel free to PM me with egpu questions there.

18. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I logged out of my iCloud account restarted and then logged back in, seems to have fixed any messages issues.

19. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Glad to know I’m not the only one having issues with Preview.

20. Chrisbc macrumors newbie

Will this update include APFS for fusion drives?

21. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Feb 6, 2018

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

When Apple can fix Command-B for BOLD STILL not working in the MAIL program, I'll know they are serious!

And then there's this. With 40GB of memory, an SSD, and 5TB of HD space, should Safari give me this message just running Facebook & MAIL? Clearly, we have here monkeys throwing paint at a wall thinking it's art. :(

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 10.18.46 PM.png

This message appears on my screen dozens of times each day just running FACEBOOK! INSANE!

I also get spinning beachball freezes when dragging a link to the dock to launch another browswer. That never happened in Sierra either or El Capitan or previous!

The few new features are just not worth the added pain of breaking other apps. :(
    The irony is that APFS makes my SSD slower! It boggles my mind. I do have my HD partitioned, but APFS cannot handle that?

22. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

Apple should just stop trying with HS, add the features to Sierra (like Messages on the cloud), they take a couple of years to build a new OS and will see if its worth it.

Except for APS, does Apple need to release a new OS just for Safari, Messages, Emojis, Mail features? Of course there is code that is common between versions, but looks like HS has so many issues in areas you wouldn expect.

23. itegypt, Feb 6, 2018

itegypt macrumors 6502a

itegypt

my messages app isn't working and I have to drag it up from the lower left of the screen!?

24. Gernot Lindner macrumors newbie

It seems to fix a Mail issue, where you were interrupted in deleting emails when moving the deleted emails to trash was slow.

25. alexgowers macrumors 65816

Updates on both windows and macOS stink. They’re trying to go to a more secure and locked down model and it’s slowly killing apps overtime. I wished they’d go whole hog rather than trickling in these ‘features’.

Every update I loose an app or some functionality and it’s driving me mad. For me ever since SIP was introduced being locked from boot champ, changing icons and various other customisations I needed for workflow I’ve hated macOS. I still don’t understand the obsession with different icons across apples products is it just to confuse the **** out of me?

I do hope Apple settle down with the changes soon, iOS running on Mac is starting to look like a more stable option than macOS that is just full of slow downs and bugs and new missing features bugs. Just unify the whole thing Apple and be done with it.