Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2018.

1. bbfc macrumors 68040

Interestingly, I have an SSD and only 8 GB RAM and suffer from none of those issues.

2. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

It is also the release with official eGPU support.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2018 ---
    No one I know have these issue, go to an Apple Store it make a clean install.

3. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

Indeed. 10.13.0, 10.13.1, 10.13.2 was a mess and I had to go back to 10.12.6. Upgraded to 10.13.3 though and everything has been working flawlessly for me... Finally! It SHOULD have been working flawlessly on 10.13.0.

4. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Who expects to have to do a CLEAN INSTALL and lose all their email server settings and application passwords among other things? Seriously.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    It's called "designed obsolescence." Apple wants to discontinue all Cheese Grater Mac Pros and they are deliberately doing it even though the machines are more powerful than stuff they sell now!

You think they don't do this stuff to promote future sales for the Modular Mac Pro?
    I mean after the iPhone scandal, I think anything is on the table. :(

5. Eagle_Eye macrumors newbie

When MacOS 10.13.3 came out, we upgraded 3 MacBook Pro's (2 x 15 inch retina 2012 and one 2014 13 inch). All MacBooks experienced a mayor drop down in performance. It was like thick sirup against the wind running uphill. We all downgraded to Sierra and got our performance back. So my advice? Do not upgrade 'older' Macs. I really hope High Sierra or it's successor wil have way better performance...

6. blaichch macrumors member

I think it always depends on the specific machine. Since the window server is now Metal2 instead of OpenGL I got a huge performance boost with High Sierra.

7. itegypt macrumors 6502a

itegypt

Yes, Thanks!!!

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I've been saying this for years about macOS and iOS ... decouple the apps and have them update via App Store. Then we don't have OS updates where the shining star is tabs and emoji updates....

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My issue is that I never authorized the beta, but when when I woke up one morning, I saw it was updating. I never have automatic updates, but yet this bad boy was applied. I'll apply this build just so I can get something more stable.

10. TrueBlou, Feb 7, 2018

TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Is there a specific set of circumstances for your Cmd-B not working in Mail? I've never had this problem. I'd be curious to know how/when it occurs. I take it you’ll have filed a bug report for the Cmd-B issue?

Though to be honest I'm not seeing any of the issues people are complaining about so far. I could just be lucky, but that never really happens :p

I'm going to take a leap into the unknown and guess you're running a MacBook of some variety, or a really old Mac?
    I only say that as a lot of the problems with HS, not just this beta, I see around the net seem to originate from MacBook users more so than desktop users - though that could certainly be skewed.

11. potatis, Feb 7, 2018

potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Do alerts for 32-bit apps show up only first time you start it on 10.13.4? An "aggressive" phase was mentioned, where it would show up every time you start the app, not sure if it's this or on 10.14. If it's already on 10.13.4, then 10.14 will be where old 32-bit apps will be incompatible meaning you can't buy a new Mac released after that and run old 32-bit apps/games.

edit: Seems like Adobe Flash Installer/Uninstaller is 32-bit when you click About->System Report->Applications. Adobe might not update them to 64-bit, then Macs will maybe cut support for Flash before Adobe does in 2020.
    At least for new installations, and you won't be able to uninstall it either unless you do a clean macOS install.

12. NoJobsNoCashNoHope macrumors newbie

Looks like something I might have to install!

13. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

If they added all of the features to Sierra, you’d have the same problems. Because that’s essentially what they have done.
    They don’t re-write the OS every year, they just tack on new features (and hopefully fix bugs) for the existing OS.

They change the name every year but it is still basically just an update to what’s already there, not a new OS.

It would be the sensible option, there’s really no need for the bundled apps to baked into the OS. Decoupling them would solve quite a few headaches and allow for more granular updates for individual apps.

14. AdamA9 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting and waiting to update my late 2013 rMBP and am staggered that there are still so many issues with it. Mine aint broke, so I aint fixing it. I'll probably leave it as it is now then until I upgrade to a newer laptop.

15. TimWillz macrumors regular

TimWillz

I wonder if they will implement a battery health feature similar to iOS soon, i know we have the throughput and cycle count available but it would be nice to have a % of health feature.

16. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

17. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Does the MacBook not still offer up some more information, such as the health status, when you Option-Click on the battery icon?

I honestly can’t remember and I got rid of my MacBook a couple of months ago.
    Noooooo, make it more like 44, 11 bugs may only cover the bugs in the emoji anyway :D

18. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

Since the issues you're describing isn't happening for everyone it's most probably related to something with your particular setup. Maybe something unhealthy with your SSD? What Mac model do you have?

macOS 10.13.3 running well here on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and a MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2012).

No performance loss here going from 10.12.6 to 10.13.3 on a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) with 8 GB RAM and a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Quite the opposite, in fact.

19. Dominicanyor macrumors 65816

Dominicanyor

Personally I have not updated to macOS high sierra because the many complains that i keep hearing when people update.
    I don't think its worth updating yet.

20. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Off topic a bit, but can I ask how your performance is with HS on the 2010 Mac Pro? Particularly with video editing if you do any and what processor you’re using.

Just curious as I’m thinking of picking one up as a second system (and throwing in a SSD) to do encoding on so my main one is free for development work. I know you can still get some decent performance out of the old cheese graters.

You’ll always hear significantly more complaining than you ever will from those with few, if any, issues.
    Human nature, we like to have a good old moan about things when they go wrong.

But I’d never be put off of anything from complaints on the internet. If I were I’d never buy a new Mac or iPhone or Windows System or new macOS, or..... well you get the idea :D

21. chabig macrumors 603

The Thunderbolt Display must be at the end of the daisy chain. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154

22. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Coconut battery is what you are looking for.

To add to others in this thread unsure about updating, I’ve got a 2015 13” MBP and HS has been the same as Sierra. Only issue I’ve had is oddly enough on 10.13.3, randomly when waking from sleep the Wi-Fi will refuse to connect (or even “see”) any networks until I turn Wi-Fi off and then right back on. Has started happening about 25% of the time after waking from sleep. Haven’t really looked into any solutions as it’s not that big of a nuisance, but other than that HS has been great so far. No graphics or otherwise major issues.

23. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Beta 1 totally dorked my rMBP. I had to use it in safe mode because of a graphics bug. Beta 2 fixed everyting. Back to normal.:D

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They actually did rewrite a significant amount of under the hood code between Sierra and High Sierra. And made a complete hash of a non-trivial amount (which is where all the password messes happened). Much like the implementation DiscoveryD in Yosemite which was a complete disaster.

25. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Of course, they have to rewrite a lot of code, that goes without saying. “Improvements” wouldn’t happen otherwise.
    But it’s still largely the same baseline OS it has been for a while. It just keeps getting updated.
    Which is why we’re still on 10.xx.xx instead of 11.xx.xx which would signify a massive point release as opposed to smaller updates.