Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Im running a similar set up. Check out egpu.io. Grab a cuppa and get reading...

2. imikem macrumors member

imikem

Arghh. Still not showing up for me. Beta 1 has been pretty terrible on my older MBP. Insanely slow response esp. in Safari. I typed a sentence and was able to pick up my phone and take 45s of video as one. character. after. another. gradually. appeared. Blehh.

3. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

If they hadn’t, they’d be accruing more and more technical debt. You can’t just keep piling on.

I know it’s hip to hate on discoveryd, but the fact that it was ultimately reverted may be a bad sign for the long-term
    quality of Bonjour. They couldn’t make a rewrite work, so they had to tack Continuity (Handoff, AirDrop, etc.) on to the existing core, which is now a decade and a half old. That’s not so great. And guess where I do have flakiness? In Continuity.

4. Donovan Dillon macrumors regular

I've been running MacOS -- including betas -- for years and the only time I've needed to perform a clean install is when my system was impaired due to accumulated developer and third-party app detritus.

It's unfortunate you're having the issues reported; but I've not encountered it. Have you tried installing Safari Technology Preview to see if it exhibits the same problem?

If it does, then your system could indeed benefit from a clean install.

Good luck.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Oh dear.... how many apps you use regularly are 32 bits, and you know will not be updated..?
    Having a look at my "System Information - Applications", many, many are 32 bits.

I had to dish some fun games on my iPad because of the forced 64 bitness.
    So, in the future I might need a High Sierra partition so that I can still use 32 bits apps.

6. ThunderSkunk, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Same. I gave up on High Sierra and restored our machines to Sierra. High Sierras little instabilities and annoyances I could get around, but its inability to move files over a network, even without AFPS on any of them, without crashing or hanging, made it impossible to use. Our new fully decked out iMac never once successfully completed a shut down or restart without hanging after High Sierra. Sierra on the other hand runs perfectly fine, and I have yet to notice anything High Sierra did that I wish Sierra did.

7. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

The new file system (APFS) in High Sierra is good for your SSD. There have been some major glitches in the initial versions of HS; however, the current version (10.13.3) works for me.

8. murilohtc macrumors newbie

murilohtc

DOnt know if this is widely know, but I´ve noticed recently on last retail version, and my Macbook Pro (2015) is crashing all the time when I wake it from sleep mode.

I talked to Apple Support and sent him the failure's notes. No answers until now.

9. haysoos123 macrumors member

You mention APFS, which may have had some problems, I'm not sure. But there was a significant bug with SMB that was only fixed in 10.13.3 that caused the finder to lock up when doing simple copying/moving of files (!!). That could mean millions of macs hooked up to windows networks! It sure affected me.

I agree that 10.13.3 is finally decently stable. But the fact that this basic functionality got borked and took months to fix is unacceptable. No wonder they recently announced that they will 'focus on stability'. Major releases should be moved to a 2 year cycle at least!

10. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

I just went through a few dozen multi-page PDFs, spreadsheets, JPEGs, folders, source code files, all sorts of stuff — in each case, Quick Look comes up in a fraction of a second. (Oddly enough, the CSV viewer seems far slower than the PDF and HTML ones, even though you'd think those are far more complex. But even CSVs only take ~400ms.)

Can't really reproduce this either.

Both on 10.13.3.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    I saw this one around 10.13.2, but can't reproduce it in 10.13.3.

11. heymonroe macrumors member

heymonroe

Anyone know why I haven't gotten this update yet? I'm on developer beta 1

Attached Files:

12. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Apple disabled any ability to run an Apple LED Display directly off the Thunderbolt Display. (Meaning you could not run the proposed scenario: MacBook Pro -> Caldigit T3 RAID -> Thunderbolt Display -> Apple LED Cinema Display) The workaround was with another device-to at least use a single cable connection between stationary desktop peripherals and MacBook Pro. It’s also unrealistic to utilize the thunderbolt and built in MagSafe connector if the display is at the end of the chain.

Don’t get me wrong here I am well aware of what Apple Recommends, and this workaround has been effective since Apple released the Thunderbolt Display until this most recent beta. Where you are able to run both displays and a simple external raid/jbod.

13. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

--- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---

14. rslee macrumors newbie

rslee

It seems this second beta of MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 has still not been released to public beta testers, only to developers. Any insights into why?

15. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

What do you mean, "still"? It's barely a day old.

Public betas almost always get released later on, and sometimes less frequently (i.e., some developer betas get skipped). As a result, they are more stable.

16. rslee, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

rslee macrumors newbie

rslee

Yes, I understand that, but the delay this time is longer that usual, which may imply that there are some larger issues in beta 2. The iOS beta for example, that was released at the same time as this macOS version, has now been made available to public beta testers.

17. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Engineers I follow on Twitter. I took note when one of the hardest Apple critics said this was the release that finally looked like shipping software. (He did note there were still graphic card issues, though.)

18. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

Hopefully a fix for 5K iMac with 295X cards overheating will be forthcoming. Seems that every second beta my iMac will shut down as soon as I spin up XCOM2. Having to manually control fans through iStat is a bummer.

19. einsteinbqat macrumors 6502

einsteinbqat

20. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

Is the Radeon 580 you have a ”normal” PC desktop card? I guess we don't need to use ”Mac EFI” GPUs for external GPU usage since there already is an internal GPU that can take that role.

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Has anyone who's installed this tested to see if you can copy over a file bigger than 2GB to a FAT32 drive yet? That cock-up is really embarrassing.

22. Skoal macrumors 68000

I downloaded 10.13.4 beta (version2) on 6 Feb and downloaded 10.13.4 beta 2 (version 2) today (it was released yesterday apparently).

I didn't catch the version number on the first "version 2 beta". Can someone confirm these are indeed two different betas or am I just receiving two different notifications from the App Store? Once downloaded I can't check if the versions are actually different. The first one said it was released on the 6th and the next one says released on the 8th so I'm assuming they are in fact different.

23. The Friar macrumors member

The Friar

Apple has put an updated version out short after putting g out the first 2nd Beta.
    That explains te different version numbers.

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

There are two betas. If your build ends with f rather than g, you’re on the old one.

25. strangeengine macrumors newbie

strangeengine

Anyone else seeing nasty audio corruption on this build? Audio sounds fine after a reboot and then gets progressively more distorted the longer it plays.

2016 13" MBP w/TouchBar.

- Mark