Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update to developers, a little under a week after seeding the first beta and a week and a half after releasing macOS Catalina to the public.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper software from the Developer Center.

test-macOS-10.15-800x522.jpg

The first update to macOS Catalina is minor in scale and appears to focus on performance improvements and fixes for bugs that weren't able to be addressed in the first version of Catalina. An interim supplemental update was released just two days ago with some other bug fixes that needed to be addressed before 10.15.1 was ready.

Apple's release notes for the first beta said that the update introduces support for the AMD Navi RDNA eGPU architecture and brings some changes to Photos.

You can now filter by Favorites, Edited, ?Photos?, Videos, or Keywords in the All ?Photos? view, and you can choose View > Metadata > Titles to enable titles and filenames in the All ?Photos? View.

macOS Catalina is a major update that eliminates iTunes in favor of new Music, Podcasts, and TV apps, nixes support for 32-bit apps, adds a new Find My app, brings a new Photos interface, and includes multiple privacy enhancements and other app refinements.

For full details on what's new in macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our macOS Catalina roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Update to Developers

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
UGH!! What happened to my desktop wallpaper that I've had forever??

When I first upgraded to Catalina it transferred over. Now I have Catalina Island.

What happened to it? Where do I find it?

Side Note: if this basic element is messed up, I don't even want to know what else is messed up.

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
The "iTunes elimination" is really a fake move.

Yesterday I clicked on one of my pre-ordered movies in the TV app and it brought me to the Music app showing me the details of that movie... So basically the new Music app is just a stripped off version of iTunes. Somewhat still has some iTunes genes in it...

Why do we need those separated app icons if their functionalities are still mixed up?

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Release Notes :

Apple Pay

Known Issues
  • Safari might stop responding when attempting to use Apple Pay on the Web.

eGPU

New Features
  • Support has been added for the AMD Navi RDNA architecture.

Photos

New Features
  • You can now filter by Favorites, Edited, Photos, Videos or Keywords in the new All Photos view. (45589765)
  • You can now choose View > Metadata > Titles to enable titles and filenames in the new All Photos view. (48363059)

Reactions: sugargliderdude

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
UGH!! What happened to my desktop wallpaper that I've had forever??

When I first upgraded to Catalina it transferred over. Now I have Catalina Island.

What happened to it? Where do I find it?

Side Note: if this basic element is messed up, I don't even want to know what else is messed up.

Not in Desktop and screensaver preferences?
Or, /Library/Desktop Pictures.

Download stalls..., switched off Wifi a few times, stalls at 1.93 GB

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 20.51.41.png

Reactions: Babygotfont

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Good luck to all you Catalina beta-testers out there (i.e. those of you who upgraded). I'm not touching this until at least 10.15.3. Catalina was such a disaster even through the real beta testing cycle. If Apple still pride themselves on quality (and make no mistake, their quality control has steadily been going down over the years) then they should change to releasing something when it's ready and not just because it's e.g. September.

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016
Until the issue with Apple Mail randomly removing mass amounts of mail from iCloud accounts after the upgrade, 10.15.x is still not worth the risk.
It’s only data and well worth the tisk
Not in Desktop and screensaver preferences?
Or, /Library/Desktop Pictures.

Download stalls..., switched off Wifi a few times, stalls at 1.93 GB

View attachment 870321

give it a compliment and she’ll finish

Reactions: jpn

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Lol ?, it's moving now, slow pace, I have Gb internet, normally finishes in less than a minute.

Edit: stalling at 2.56 GB now, maybe I should lick it....:D
Well last few days updates in iOS and MacOS have been slow as molasses in January. Mine slowed down to crawl at about 2.2 GB did not think that many folks are downloading to have such a slow down. Reminds me of other day with similar and to find later apple servers ended up at a point to lock up for nearly hour. Not sure what is going on but yes normally very fast for me not lately.
NOTE: After 15 Minutes now at 3GB. Terribly slow for incremental updates

NOTE 2: Its downloaded but just sitting at 4.89 or 4.89 GB seems stuck... apple has server problems

Last edited:

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Fingers crossed Navi drivers are actually included this time, someone will test soon I'm sure to give us access to a 5700XT eGPU.

Edit:

Shouldn't have to wait long:

Looks promising.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Good luck to all you Catalina beta-testers out there (i.e. those of you who upgraded). I'm not touching this until at least 10.15.3. Catalina was such a disaster even through the real beta testing cycle. If Apple still pride themselves on quality (and make no mistake, their quality control has steadily been going down over the years) then they should change to releasing something when it's ready and not just because it's e.g. September.

'The force of marketing is greater than the force of technology.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.