Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to developers, just three days after seeding the sixth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta and over a month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The seventh macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who have previously installed a beta.

[​IMG]

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode to the Mac for the first time. First introduced on iOS devices with iOS 9.3, Night Shift is designed to gradually shift the display of a device from blue to yellow, cutting down on exposure to blue light. Blue light is said to disrupt the circadian rhythm and is believed to interrupt sleeping patterns.

Night Shift can be activated through the Displays section of System Preferences, where a setting to have it come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise is available. Night Shift can also be toggled on manually through the Notification Center or via Siri.

The 10.12.4 update focuses mainly on Night Shift, but also includes dictation support for Shanghainese, cricket scores for Siri, improved PDFKit APIs, and iCloud Analytics options.

Few outward-facing changes have been discovered in macOS Sierra 10.12.4 outside of the first beta, as Apple has been working on bug fixes and improvements ahead of a public release. With the seventh beta out and the short interval since the last seed, we are getting closer to the end of the beta testing period and are likely to see a public release soon.

Update: The seventh beta is also available for members of Apple's public beta testing program.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Public beta also available.

I'm hoping the GM has better battery life. These betas haven't been that great on my Early 2015 rMBP.

I'd like the time estimation back also.

4. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

I'm pinning my hopes on this update. If it doesn't fix Sierra (which is probably the worst version of OS X/macOS I've ever had the misfortune to "upgrade" to) I'll be going back to El Capitan.

5. AsprineTm macrumors member

Yeay 7 times is a charm.
    Really looking forward to the SMB3 support, bug fixes and all the new innovations...

6. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Still wonder why every update since years changes the display (Apple Tbolt) setting from "scale for display" back to the default.

7. gruversm macrumors newbie

gruversm

8. MacBird macrumors 6502

9. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Hope they fix extremely many 2016 macbook pro bugs in this .4 , cant even use my professional thunderbolt audiocard with the computer...

10. nph macrumors 6502a

Could this mean that we might see updated Macbook Pros in the near future based on support for those being found in this release? Correct me if I am wrong but usually if there is support for new products in a a OS X version don't they tend release the new products quite soon after the sw release?

11. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Just curious what the record is for number of beta releases before the public release?

12. imran5720 macrumors member

imran5720

13. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I imagine you'd be the same people complaining had Apple released it early without rock-solid testing? ;)

15. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Seems whether they release it early or have 19 betas, it's still full of bugs and issues that don't get resolved.

16. geekon2wheels macrumors newbie

geekon2wheels

Can anyone report whether the UI lag has improved at all with this or previous betas, particularly with Mission Control and Exposé? I see extreme UI lag with 10.12.3 on both my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" and MacBook 12".

17. Jayderek macrumors regular

Jayderek

this times a million. These are the people that shouldn't be beta testing if "OMG another Beta :(" is somehow that difficult

18. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

so....confirmed night shift wont work on late 2011 macbook pro?

20. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed released with new products (most likely iOS, but one can hope) in the coming weeks.

21. imran5720 macrumors member

imran5720

But come-on 7 Betas?

22. Jayderek macrumors regular

Jayderek

how is this a bad thing? would you rather have less with more issues?

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I think they're waiting until the April event because they're going to release the Kaby Lake MBPs then :)

24. David Harrison macrumors newbie

David Harrison