Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ThisBougieLife macrumors 6502a

ThisBougieLife

Wow, iOS 10 had 8 betas and it still ended up bricking everyone's phone.

2. mszilard macrumors member

No

3. C DM macrumors Nehalem

iOS 10 bricked everyone's phone? o_O

4. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Or not. Lots of stopper bugs by the looks of it.

5. Ries macrumors 68000

Not everyones, but quite many. Enough that they pulled it until they got it fixed.

6. faded_glory macrumors member

faded_glory

Haha, I get it now. Macrumours - where bitter people come to vent their bile. Can't be doing with hacking my way through so many utterly miserable "the latest update bricked every device I own/this version of OSX/macOS/iOS is the worst ever software released in the history of the earth, ever" posts.
    Apparently this site is moderated.
    Get the f**k out of town.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 6502a

ThisBougieLife

It bricked mine. Don't you remember Brickgate?

Because anything other than blind praise is "hating". Need a safe space?

8. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Interesting, I'm seeing slightly better battery performance on the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    I LIKE you!

9. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

??????????????????????????????????
    I lost functionality to my ethernet port on my Mac Mini..a few updates ago...looks like this new one won't help me..unless an EMOJI can be pasted on the port.

10. C DM macrumors Nehalem

So basically nothing even remotely close to everyone at all. And basically a recoverable condition that came up as a result of a temporary issue with the update process itself rather than iOS (where the iOS betas wouldn't have been related to that).

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 6502a

ThisBougieLife

My point was that more betas does not necessarily mean a better or smoother release. There may always be bugs on the first day.

Of course it wasn't "everyone". But it was enough to make Apple acknowledge the problem and from my point of view, it was unacceptable.

12. C DM macrumors Nehalem

There is that aspect of it. It generally means that more likely more issues got addressed, but it doesn't mean that there can't still be other issues (or even issues outside of what is actually being released).

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 6502a

ThisBougieLife

I mean I'm still thinking the amount of betas has to do with delaying to an upcoming hardware release, maybe iMacs or the Kaby Lake 12" MacBook. Gonna hold onto that hope :)

14. imran5720 macrumors member

imran5720

Why did not they fix it in first,second,third......

15. C DM macrumors Nehalem

Because not everything is found, investigated, reproduced, worked on, and fixed right away?

16. Larry The L macrumors regular

And if there is a bug in the release, you people will be the first to complain and complain the loudest that there weren't enough betas. Very sad.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    Certainly the most absurd statement I've heard in a long time. Based upon your logic, there shouldn't be any betas as everything should work in the first iteration.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bricked= Not recoverable by a (normal) User, only possible to upload new firmware into the device by mostly another hardware connector which is almost always inside the device, or special software which is not in the hands of consumers.

The iPhone was NOT bricked by installing iOS 10, you could recover by connecting it to a computer running iTunes.

18. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

19. mithion macrumors newbie

The other thing is that maybe some fixes may take longer to implement. So they release weekly to not hold up the bugs/security patches that are easier to implement. More betas is almost never a bad thing. It doesn't guarantee a bug free experience, but it doesn't hurt to have additional testing.

What does bug me about this release is night shift mode. That should have never been been implemented mid cycle. They should have delayed that to macOS 10.13 since it is a new feature that can add unnecessary bugs in what should be pure securization and stabilization phase of the OS.

20. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

21. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

22. themachugger macrumors member

Not sure how it's decided what makes the cut for the front page of MacRumors but when I see the almost bi-weekly beta updates for MacOS, iOS, WatchOS, tvOS, ThisOS, ThatOS, etc. I don't even bother to scroll down three pages anymore to see if there is any news of actual interest. Released golden master updates? OK, that's maybe half-interesting (half) but the OS beta incremental update spam on the front page? /yawn

23. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

What you personally want, or do not want to see, will be totally different from what another person does. There's more than just you who uses this website.
    When you search for something on Google, do you look at the first few results and, if they do not meet your criteria, close the website and say "Google sucks /yawn?"
    I mean really, how hard is it to move your finger a few centimetres to quickly scroll through and sort the wheat from the chaff, to find something you're actually interested in?

24. joy.757 macrumors regular

Nice that they are testing it so thoroughly. I am eagerly waiting for Night Shift.

25. lec0rsaire macrumors newbie

Apple is definitely not releasing new MBPs so soon after releasing the late-2016s. Any kind of refresh before the summer or fall just isn't going to happen. They are not even 4 months old! Most shipments started arriving 3rd week of November. Kaby Lake is an insignificant improvement and Coffee Lake won't be out this year. Kaby Lake MBPs will either arrive in the summer or fall with DDR4 if they sort out the new battery design. What we probably will see soon is an iMac refresh.