Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

[​IMG]

But seriously thought - I have no idea, but I would imagine it to be in double digits ;) But I hope all the bugs get ironed out and that Safari gets snappier :) (quite serious about Safari, because my brother - who is a hardcore Apple fan - uses Chrome on his Mac ...which is actually not a good advertisment for Apple products in general)

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Looking like final release will be next week. Maybe week after. We'll see.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand plenty of people find those useful.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    Because this is beta 7?

4. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

5. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

I take your point, and it's a fair comment, however I'm one of those people on this thread with exactly this complaint. Sierra IS the worst OS X/macOS upgrade I've ever installed. My machine is slow in many applications with typing and scrolling unresponsive and I have a 2013 Mac Pro which even though it hasn't been updated for 400 years is still one of the most powerful Macs you can buy. It's nonsensical.

If you have a legitimate grievance with Apple hardware or software where better to post your complaint than an Apple rumours based site. If I post it to the messageboard of British Gas I imagine they'll wonder what the hell I'm banging on about.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    Doesn't fill me with confidence. Luckily macOS is bound to have a sad face emoji I can use, even if it'll take 20 minutes of scrolling on my machine to find it.

6. pppx3 macrumors member

pppx3

what ever happened to colour calibration? Surely anything that adjusts the screen like this is going even further away from WYSIWYG then ever before..?

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

There are third party apps available that have done this for years. It's not new...

https://justgetflux.com/news/pages/mac/

8. Irishman macrumors 68030

Have you noticed any metal performance improvements with 3d games?

9. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

It seems to me there's a problem with your specific setup though. My 2012 MBP has never been faster, no lag/beachballing etc whatsoever.

It did have a problem with disconnecting wi-fi on the previous beta, but that problem was gone in this update.

I'd think the best place to talk about this is Apple Support. I don't mind people complaining (in general) but: you seem to have a complaint about something that isn't the culprit.

10. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

I didn't have this problem with Yosemite or El Capitan, it started as soon as I "upgraded" to Sierra. I raised it with AppleCare and they said that it's a bug in macOS Sierra that will be fixed in a future update (they didn't say which one, though).

It could be related to the fact that I'm using an external 4K retina screen, although they didn't say that so I'm only guessing; the majority of macOS users aren't doing that or if they are, they're on a 5K iMac which is, of course, Apple hardware.

I'm feeling slightly fobbed off by AppleCare, if I'm being honest, as in my heart of hearts I don't believe them for a minute, but what can you do? [sigh]

11. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

"so many betas", sounds like they're describing the posters at macrumors.

12. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

I would hope they wait for a major hardware release to move to the next OS, releasing a new version without a slew of new hardware is so Microsofty.

13. adamjackson macrumors 65816

You're making assumptions.

In addition, why does people making complaints on a forum make you sad?

Finally, I'm only complaining about having to download another beta. I don't complain when things are buggy. bugs are most often resolved by Apple very fast.

Negative.

14. mithion macrumors member

Well if you're doing any kind of work where color accuracy is important, you can turn off Night Shift to return to your standard color calibration. Night shift will be optional, not mandatory.

15. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

Agree with that. It's optional....you can switch it off just like you can switch Siri off. Simples.

16. joy.757 macrumors regular

Yeah I know, I have been using flux for quite some time now. It gives some problems sometimes though. I'm hoping that this won't be the case with NightShift.

17. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Now we're talkin'. Very nice response. Can go under trolling as well as fact. You do know the nature of bugs, I'm sure? Bug-free is a dangling carrot, we never get it.

18. ScooterComputer macrumors regular

ScooterComputer

Hmmm, ya know, I found the same thing happening on my MacBook Pro, and it seems to tie back to autocorrection being on. Only it only happened in SOME text fields, not ALL. It is especially frustrating in Safari (say, like when I post here). Once you misspell something, typing and cursor control go out to lunch. Correct or delete beyond the misspelling, and it is performant again. The only "solution" I found was to turn off "Correct spelling automatically" in the Keyboard Prefpane under the Text panel. Which is a PITA, since I'm not a PERFECT typist. Under 10.12.2 and earlier it was completely unusable; under 10.12.3 it is better, still on the precipice of unusable, but I can stand it (just have to take a few deep breaths from time to time). It seems to me the problem might be in how Sierra is handling text in general.

(I know, functionally, there were VAST differences between how OS X and iOS handled text; it caused Apple internal software groups problems I know of when porting Mac apps to iOS. I'd imagine Sierra is yet another march towards merging macOS and iOS, and perhaps these text performance problems are a result of adopting less time-tested iOS code.)

19. The_Martini_Cat macrumors member

The_Martini_Cat

A new OS ahead of schedule always used to mean new hardware!

20. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

This is just a point (aka "patch") release to 10.12, to mainly address known issues and some small new functionality. It is not a full new release (ie: 10.13.)

The full release of 10.13 isn't going to even be announced until WWDC 2017, which will likely be this June.

Just wanted to throw that out there, as it seems that some people appear to be calling this a new "full release" version of macOS in this thread, and using that to possibly suggest that new hardware will be released alongside it (ie: new MacBook Pro's.) There "could" be new Mac's released, but if so, it's more likely to be a desktop variant, but that's not guaranteed to happen just because a 10.12.4 update is being released soon.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ahead of schedule?

22. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

AppleCare told me that the problem is related to TextEdit, or more specifically the underlying APIs. This seems plausible as I have the problem in Coda 2, for example, and when I contacted the developers (Panic) they confirmed that they use these particular Apple APIs. To add further weight to the argument, when I use Visual Studio Code I DON'T have the issue... VS Code is built on the Electron framework that uses web technologies and NOT Apple's TextEdit APIs.

Your comment about Sierra likely incorporating changes to bring iOS and macOS closer together under the hood in this respect certainly makes sense.

Shame they didn't test it before releasing it. ;-)

23. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

So the 27th March is 10.12.4 release day by the sounds of it.

24. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Perhaps. There are also features that were intended for the X release that may be delayed until X.x rather than hold out until Y. Y has its own roadmap; adding another feature to that release's development and testing phase may not be helpful.

This particular item ought not introduce bugs outside the display system. In essence, it's just another, adjustable color profile with some timers. One hopes that shouldn't introduce material bugs to the OS.

25. Skoal macrumors 65816

It's been incredibly stable on my MBPr circa 2014. So stable in fact I haven't noticed hardly any benefits from each beta fix.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    Everyone but me I'd have to guess.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    You have to admit this site is rife with whining about some of the most inane things. Too many beta's. Not enough beta's. Apple has lost it's way. This wouldn't happen if Steve Jobs were still alive, etc etc. Sometimes I wonder why these people continue to by Apple by the way they constantly complain.