Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nocsi

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
What's messed up is that as a professional TV editor, I cannot upgrade my Macs to the latest OS because none of my editing programs are ever ready for the transition - and this includes company VPN software I use to work from home that is not stable on the new Mac OSes. As a company that caters to "pros," Apple has work to do. Their Mac OS development needs to be tailored to work with professional software that "pros" actually use. And this isn't including Final Cut Pro, Apple's software. Apple is fully invested in FCP so it feels hopeless to think they would work with Adobe or Avid on making compatible OS and software development & releases.
What does that have to do with Apple? The software you’re using are the ones that aren’t supporting beta macOS. You’re asking for too much, especially concerning beta software

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
What's messed up is that as a professional TV editor, I cannot upgrade my Macs to the latest OS because none of my editing programs are ever ready for the transition - and this includes company VPN software I use to work from home that is not stable on the new Mac OSes. As a company that caters to "pros," Apple has work to do. Their Mac OS development needs to be tailored to work with professional software that "pros" actually use. And this isn't including Final Cut Pro, Apple's software. Apple is fully invested in FCP so it feels hopeless to think they would work with Adobe or Avid on making compatible OS and software development & releases.
I only update to a whole new OS version every time it gets to X.6... So I just moved to Monterrey last week when it hits 12.6. It is the best way to always use a stable Mac.

Last edited:

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
Hoping the do an iPadOS u-turn and make it available for my 15” MacBook pro 2015.

Fairly sure an i7 with 16GB and 512GB should handle it.
compatibility is nice but I think apple wants to rid themselves of having to support intel machines as early as possible.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Great reminder, the telltale signs might be the tab becomes unresponsive for some time, such as not able to scroll vertically, or auto spelling doesn't respond to an underlined work you just typed.

Back aways you had google crowing about their online caching making Safari score lower numbers than Chrome. You can see in the earlier post how much faster Safari local caching changed between MacOS 12.3 and 12.4. But there is something not quite fixed that causes the most recent Safari to not release memory sometimes as it should.
I will say after doing a fresh public beta install today, Safari scored 419 and Chrome scored 365 on web browser benchmark Speedometer. That’s a big difference.

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
I will say after doing a fresh public beta install today, Safari scored 419 and Chrome scored 365 on web browser benchmark Speedometer. That’s a big difference.
Unfortunately speed is only part of the equation, so many sites have built their designs around Chrome that sometimes things just do not work well in Safari. I wish they did.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Unfortunately speed is only part of the equation, so many sites have built their designs around Chrome that sometimes things just do not work well in Safari. I wish they did.
Agreed. Doesn’t matter how fast something is if it doesn’t work. That’s why it upsets me Safari is what it is.

jmargo4

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of macOS Ventura to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to test the new macOS Ventura operating system ahead of its release. The seventh beta comes following the sixth public beta and it corresponds with ninth developer beta released earlier this week.

clock-weather-macos-ventura.jpeg

Public beta testers can download the macOS 13 Ventura update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after installing the proper profile from Apple's beta software website.

macOS Ventura introduces Stage Manager, a new multi-tasking option for focusing on a task while having other apps waiting in the wings. Stage Manager puts your main app front and center, tucking your other apps to the side for quick access.

Continuity Camera allows you to use your iPhone as a webcam for your Mac, offering much better camera quality than the built-in Mac camera. Apple is building special stands to hold the iPhone with a Mac, and there are neat features like Desk View, which uses the Ultra Wide lens.

Handoff now works with FaceTime so you can answer calls on the Mac and then transfer them over to another device, and Messages is gaining undo, edit, and mark as unread features. SharePlay now works in Messages in addition to FaceTime, and the Mail app has been overhauled. Search is more relevant, emails can be scheduled, and there's even an option to undo an email for up to 10 seconds after it's sent.

Apple brought the Weather and Clock apps to the Mac, redesigned System Preferences and renamed it System Settings, and added support for Shared Tab Groups. Passwords are being replaced with more secure Passkeys in iOS 16 and macOS Ventura, and there are updates to Spotlight, Visual Lookup, Live Text, and more.

There are a ton of other features in macOS Ventura, and we have a full rundown available in our dedicated macOS Ventura roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Public Beta of macOS 13 Ventura
CLOCK ALARM APP STILL NOT WORKING CORRECTLY :(

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
On an M1 Mac mini - And one issue that just doesn't seemed to get fixed is the "Find my" app.
You have your contacts, and your name is usually at the top (aka) "Me"
And when I press it , nothing happens ...... And just constantly says locating.

HinoMusouka

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
They fixed one of the bugs I've had with Apple TV+ since around macOS 12.3 where the video wouldn't play correctly. I've had a ticket opened with them since April or May this year and I was pretty annoyed having 1.5 years old iMac 27" and Apple One subscription and not being able to watch videos on TV+. But finally, when I lost all hope they would ever fix the bug it happened! Praised be the Apple distortion field!

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
On an M1 Mac mini - And one issue that just doesn't seemed to get fixed is the "Find my" app.
You have your contacts, and your name is usually at the top (aka) "Me"
And when I press it , nothing happens ...... And just constantly says locating.
this one works fine for me. I know that's not helpful... but it may have something to do with your self-contact in the contacts app?

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
More like the companies that software you say are not updated against Ventura are at fault. Ventura was initially released June 6. You can alway add your observations on what works and what doesn't on this thread.
This is just such a wrong way to look at this. The OS upgrade should never, ever causes software to stop working. The concept of backwards compatibility is sacred and why Windows thrives. Apple are completely lazy and poor at writing software purely due to this fact.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
compatibility is nice but I think apple wants to rid themselves of having to support intel machines as early as possible.
Why does it matter to you whether Intel support continues indefinitely. Apple should do the right thing by those who have invested in the company's hardware.e

Reactions: HinoMusouka

Confused-User

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2014
They fixed the Game Center bug that appeared in the previous beta, where you couldn't log in. Now if only they could retire bugs faster than they created them.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
How is it Apple‘s fault that none of your programs and VPN software keep up to date?

Reactions: Colstan

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Sounds like Internet Explorer all over again with Chrome.

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Apple seemingly has not fixed the Mail-realated bug that causes high cpu usage (at least on Intel MacBooks). I still have to enter sudo pmset schedule cancelall into the terminal like everyday. But what can a say? It is beta software.

HinoMusouka

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Weather widget stopped working for me. It was broken (like all widgets) in Beta 7, fixed in 8 and now partial regression in Beta 9. I hope they pull themselves together because they have 4 weeks left (assuming release in October) and this looks nowhere near finished.

Sleep/Wake functionality that disappeared with the new System Settings app is also nowhere to be seen.

JonBOY26

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Australia
IMHO, Mac OS usability (and aesthetics) took a massive step backwards with the changes introduced going from Catalina to Big Sur. The text is small, icons are small and basic, Finder is less efficient at displaying information. For example, buttons spanned across the top of Finder in Catalina, allowing more button to be displayed, but in Big Sur (and thereafter) the left side bar extends to the top of Finder and there's now wasted space where buttons used to be displayed, and now you have to click the expand button to get to buttons for changing view type. See below:

Monterey is no better than Big Sur, and I doubt Ventura is going to revert either, unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AAPLGeek

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
just dont update. I am not going to either. All mission critical software should remain with working version.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I only update to a whole new OS version everytime it gets to X.6... So it just moved to Monterrey last week the it hit 12.6. It is the best way to always use a stable Mac.
Maybe change it up this year and treat yourself but jumping on 13.0 day one! You will love the features! Also, why would you want your MacOS feature set different from iOS and iPadOS? Wouldn't you want them to have the same features across the board at the same time?

DeekinBlooz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Aside from the expected little Ui issues, I haven’t experienced anything that prevents me from working. Parallels is also running my Win11 installation on my M1 MBP. The most annoying issue is some menu and mousing UI glitches in MS Office apps. Annoying, but easily manageable with the keyboard. Hopefully, this new beta fixes it OR MS updates Office to fix these issues.
It looks like the most recent Ventura update fixed the UI problems I was experienced with MS Office. 👍

Reactions: HinoMusouka

Confused-User

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2014
Apple seemingly has not fixed the Mail-realated bug that causes high cpu usage (at least on Intel MacBooks). I still have to enter sudo pmset schedule cancelall into the terminal like everyday. But what can a say? It is beta software.

FWIW, it was fixed for me, and everyone else I know who was experiencing that issue, in b7. Haven't seen it since even once. Are you sure it's the same bug? Check if you're maxxed out at 20k assertions - if you're not, it's something else. In fact even if you are, it could be something else having trouble with power management - you'd need to see if they're the same assertions. To count them, at least, is easy - "pmset -g assertions|wc -l". Of course there will be other output and non-bug-related assertions - you should normally get 26-28, for the average Mac.

Reactions: RednBlue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.