Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Awhile back we noticed that Ventura installed a lot faster than Monterey. More involved preparation, removed the lengthy installing of MacOS. Safari by 12.4 was significantly faster than 12.3, but Ventura Safari was taking that speed gain and introduced shared tab groups that still has occasional caching issues on some HTML content. You can use the empty cache in dev menu to try to avoid that. Spotlight now is running in the background without the process scanning when it shouldn’t and provides a much richer scan and some previews of what it finds immediately. The way MacOS Ventura security methods react to things is faster than Monterey. What I haven’t seen much of yet is how metal 3 will mean to game playing compared to metal 2. Too soon from gaming developers to see this in action.

From MacRumors
it just occurred to me that these performance gains will mostly likely have no impact on intel machines 😢

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
it just occurred to me that these performance gains will mostly likely have no impact on intel machines 😢
Yes as the MacOS continues to optimized to make the performance gains for Apple Silicon more pronounced as well as offers MacOS features exclusive to Apple Silicon Macs as Monterey and Big Sur did. Sure the MacOS will continue to work with intel Macs for a long time.

Ventura examples
Live Captions, as well as Live Captions in FaceTime, will require an Apple Silicon processor. Live Captions generate automatic transcriptions in real-time for users who may be deaf or hard of hearing. In FaceTime, the feature also helps follow along with group conversations since speaker attribution is available.

Live Captions require an M1 or M2 chip to run since they function based on Apple’s Neural Engine. Sadly, Intel-based Mac owners will not have access to Live Captions when macOS Ventura drops in the fall.

The second feature is relatively major and could even push Intel Mac owners to purchase an Apple Silicon Mac if they have a heavy workload. macOS Ventura allows users to use an M1 iPad Pro as a secondary display for their Mac. Not only does this feature require an Apple Silicon processor but it is only compatible with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Reactions: hoodafoo

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Yes as the MacOS continues to optimized to make the performance gains for Apple Silicon more pronounced as well as offers MacOS features exclusive to Apple Silicon Macs as Monterey and Big Sur did. Sure the MacOS will continue to work with intel Macs for a long time.

Ventura examples
Live Captions, as well as Live Captions in FaceTime, will require an Apple Silicon processor. Live Captions generate automatic transcriptions in real-time for users who may be deaf or hard of hearing. In FaceTime, the feature also helps follow along with group conversations since speaker attribution is available.

Live Captions require an M1 or M2 chip to run since they function based on Apple’s Neural Engine. Sadly, Intel-based Mac owners will not have access to Live Captions when macOS Ventura drops in the fall.

The second feature is relatively major and could even push Intel Mac owners to purchase an Apple Silicon Mac if they have a heavy workload. macOS Ventura allows users to use an M1 iPad Pro as a secondary display for their Mac. Not only does this feature require an Apple Silicon processor but it is only compatible with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
yeah, sadly, this was expected. I just want my 2020 iMac to last as long as possible - it's a fantastic machine!! Not keeping up is one thing, but purposely crippling features and performance of intel boxes as a "business decision" is bush league of apple

Reactions: Realityck

fstoprm

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2021
"macOS Ventura allows users to use an M1 iPad Pro as a secondary display for their Mac. Not only does this feature require an Apple Silicon processor but it is only compatible with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro."

IIRC just this week it was announced that an M1 iPad was "not" required to do this...

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
yeah, sadly, this was expected. I just want my 2020 iMac to last as long as possible - it's a fantastic machine!! Not keeping up is one thing, but purposely crippling features and performance of intel boxes as a "business decision" is bush league of apple
It is worth noting that you no longer have to set a timer setting before your Mac goes to sleep in Ventura. That variable is gone in energy or battery settings. Example I use CCC to make a limited time snapshot of each MacOS beta that works, I no longer have to contend with that setting, the desktop or laptop will go to asleep only after its completed that application task.

Last edited:

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
It is worth noting that you no longer have to set a timer setting before your Mac goes to sleep in Ventura. That variable is gone in energy or battery settings. Example I use CCC to make a limited time snapshot of each MacOS beta that works, I no longer have to contend with that setting, the desktop or laptop will go to asleep only after its completed that application task.
I never knew such small changes could have users rejoicing

galad

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2022
It's the app duty to tell the system to not go to sleep. If CCC doesn't, it should be fixed in CCC, macOS is not at fault this time.

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It's the app duty to tell the system to not go to sleep. If CCC doesn't, it should be fixed in CCC, macOS is not at fault this time.
Monterey had an energy saver preference called “Turn display off after” - there is a default value, that you can manually lengthen to prevent computer from going to sleep when not being inacted with. In Ventura the old energy setting interface is gone, it’s more intelligent, a user doesn’t need to worry about any application running specific processes and the computer goes to sleep.

Last edited:

Confused-User

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
OK, this bug is positively ridiculous.

In Terminal.app, type this:
echo "zz\nz \nz"
...and hit return. This will output three lines of "z"s, with a non-visible space char at the end of the second line. It should look like this:
zz
z
z

Select all three lines (including the end-of-lines) and copy them. Now, open a new message composition window in Mail.app, and paste.

Notice anything? You only have two lines, and the second is z-space-space-z. The second newline has been converted into a space.

This failure works on just about any text IN TERMINAL that has lines ending in spaces, though there are some odd corner cases where it doesn't fail (like, the text produced by 'echo "z \nz"', if your Mail window is empty - though it will still fail if you have a line of text in there already).

Of course, this doesn't happen with other apps. In fact, if you take the text from Terminal, paste it into TextEdit, then REcopy it from TextEdit, when you paste it into Mail it comes in fine. So somehow this bug requires two Apple apps to be triggered.

I would be loving Ventura if it weren't plagued by so many stupid new bugs in features that worked fine before. :-(

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Stupid question maybe, but where do I find that dev menu?
Is that just in the developer beta?
Sorry missed seeing your question, in Safari 16.1 settings go to advanced, and you'll see a check box at the bottom "Show Develop menu inn the menu bar" Just enable it to show. You'll see empty caches on the pull down list.

eperitus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2020
Yes it is - I am running OS 13.1 and the systemstats memory leak is there, even when using default cursor sizes.
Thanks, maybe if enough of us automatically kill systemstats regularly, Apple will get the hint they need to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.