Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded the sixth beta of OS X 10.10.4 to developers and public beta testers, approximately one week after releasing the fifth OS X 10.10.4 beta and nearly two months after releasing the first OS X 10.10.4 beta. OS X 10.10.4 has been in testing since mid-April, following the early April release of OS X 10.10.3, which included the new Photos for OS X app.

The new beta, build 14E36b, can downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store or through the Mac Developer Center.

OS X 10.10.3 brought several consumer-facing changes including the new Photos for OS X app, a redesigned emoji picker, and diversified emoji, but OS X 10.10.4 appears to be an under-the-hood update that brings performance enhancements and bug fixes.

Thus far, OS X 10.10.4 betas have not included outward facing design changes or feature additions, but the fourth beta introduced a significant behind-the-scenes update that may improve networking performance for users who have experienced issues with OS X Yosemite.

Discoveryd, a somewhat problematic networking process that has been linked to multiple bugs in OS X 10.10, was removed in favor of the older bug-free mDNSresponder.

It is not clear when Apple plans to release OS X 10.10.4 to the public, but the fact that we've now received six betas suggests we may be nearing the end of the beta testing period. It's possible we could see the public release of OS X 10.10.4 on June 30, the same day Apple plans to release iOS 8.4 with the new Music app and Apple Music service.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Installed it and had a really weird boot process afterwards... My MBP did a few unusual sounds, then booted to a screen with a different progress bar and finally restarted and booted as usual. Weird.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
How many more betas are there gonna be of 10.10.4? Damn. It's been in testing for 2 months!

As many as it takes to get the quality of the update to be as bug-less as possible, especially as this may the last update to Yosemite before they shift to El Cap completely. Complex software like an OS update takes months to test, validate, and finish.

The whole reason Yosemite was buggy as heck was because they didn't take their time to do it right.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
How many more betas are there gonna be of 10.10.4? Damn. It's been in testing for 2 months!

It will release along side iOS 8.4 on 30th of June. Unless they will simply offer the Apple Music app separately through Mac App Store? But that sounds unlikely as that would rely on users actually grabbing it themselves. Or perhaps it will be pushed as a update to iTunes?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
As many as it takes to get the quality of the update to be as bug-less as possible, especially as this may the last update to Yosemite before they shift to El Cap completely. Complex software like an OS update takes months to test, validate, and finish.

The whole reason Yosemite was buggy as heck was because they didn't take their time to do it right.

Right, but this is a point update and, if Apple does the same thing as they did with 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9, it'll finish off on 10.10.5. Personally, Yosemite was never that buggy for me. Never had WiFi problems, never had battery problems, crashing, kernel panics, nothing. Now, iOS 8 is a different story.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It will release along side iOS 8.4 on 30th of June. Unless they will simply offer the Apple Music app separately through Mac App Store? But that sounds unlikely as that would rely on users actually grabbing it themselves. Or perhaps it will be pushed as a update to iTunes?

They already said its gonna be baked into iTunes, so an iTunes update could drop on the 30th. (Maybe version 13?)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
So.. We get yet another Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 BETA just one week after the last one, but still no iOS 9 BETA2 to fix the battery drain? :(

Seriously? Two completely different beta programs with two different purposes. iOS 9 is a brand new version that is meant to be beta-quality with bugs that has only been out for a week while 10.10.4 beta is meant to be a bug-fix update and is ramping up to be released relatively soon after being in beta testing for a few months.

Apple does not fix battery drain issues until the end of the development. They don't care about these things because they have to focus on the core features that may be leaking and that could cause the battery life issues.

Do not expect your battery issues to be resolved for a few months.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
As many as it takes to get the quality of the update to be as bug-less as possible, especially as this may the last update to Yosemite before they shift to El Cap completely.
Assuming Yosemite follows the same pattern as the three previous versions, there will be a 10.10.5 final release.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Right, but this is a point update and, if Apple does the same thing as they did with 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9, it'll finish off on 10.10.5. Personally, Yosemite was never that buggy for me. Never had WiFi problems, never had battery problems, crashing, kernel panics, nothing. Now, iOS 8 is a different story.

It does not change the fact that Apple should not rush 10.10.4 in the first place just because there may be 10.10.5 afterward. They should focus on reducing the amount of OS updates needed to fix bugs.

I'm glad you had zero issues with Yosemite. The fact that Apple pulled discoveryd out of 10.10.4 already proves that Yosemite was in fact buggy. I dealt with thousands of customers complaining about the network issues our app had because of the buggy discoveryd and frankly, we cannot wait for 10.10.4 to be released soon but we do not want it if it means more bugs. I want Apple to do stuff right the first time.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It does not change the fact that Apple should not rush 10.10.4 in the first place just because there may be 10.10.5 afterward. They should focus on reducing the amount of OS updates needed to fix bugs.

I'm glad you had zero issues with Yosemite. The fact that Apple pulled discoveryd out of 10.10.4 already proves that Yosemite was in fact buggy. I dealt with thousands of customers complaining about the network issues our app had because of the buggy discoveryd and frankly, we cannot wait for 10.10.4 to be released soon but we do not want it if it means more bugs. I want Apple to do stuff right the first time.

Oh so do I, completely, but over the last few 10.10.4 bugs I haven't run into any problems at all. I haven't heard any real big complaints against it. I'm just curious to know what is hold things up. What is wrong? What are they changing? They are treating it like its a huge numeral update (like Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Cap). Not that anything is wrong with that, I'm glad they're stress testing it, but why? What is wrong? That is all I want to know, but we will probably never know.

I know they replaced discoveryd with the older mDNSresponder, and that discoveryd caused a lot of people trouble, there is no question about that. mDNS was put back in like 2 betas ago, so is it still reeking havoc behind the scenes?

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Wouldn't it be smart for Apple to release iOS 8.4 and OS X 10.10.4 or iTunes X.X.X sometime this week so in case there's any bugs that pop up after updating they can resolve them by the publicly announced June 30th debut of Apple Music. The last thing they need is another U2 free album backlash

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Installed it and had a really weird boot process afterwards... My MBP did a few unusual sounds, then booted to a screen with a different progress bar and finally restarted and booted as usual. Weird.
There are a bunch of computers which get firmware updates with this build. It looks like pretty much every Mac that has Thunderbolt got updated. This may extend the Thunderstrike patch to the older computers which were left vulnerable after the 10.10.2 update as well as fix the latest EFI firmware vulnerability.

Reactions: sjinsjca

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Folks (and news sites) keep saying "and discoveryd has been replaced by mDNSresponder" like they're two shrinkerapped packages off the shelf. Unless someone has the source code to compare, I suspect that both packages have been improving over time, and sharing at least some code. So it's not the giant leap towards the past that is being portrayed as by many.

Oh, and if you're upset about battery usage on iOS 9 - you're using it wrong. It's beta software, and as such, it should be on a test device, not your "real" iPhone that you carry around.

dwfaust

macrumors 604
Jul 3, 2011
So.. We get yet another Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 BETA just one week after the last one, but still no iOS 9 BETA2 to fix the battery drain? :(

iOS beta releases have not come more frequently than about 2 week intervals, historically. OS X dev previews have pretty much followed suit in terms of release schedule, at least for the .0 releases.

Your patience will be rewarded.

This chart is iOS beta releases, and is included for reference:

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 4.32.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.