Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of macOS 13 Ventura, the next-generation version of the Mac operating system that's set to launch this fall. The third beta comes two weeks after Apple provided the second beta to developers.

macos-ventura-roundup-header.jpg

Registered developers can download the beta through the Apple Developer Center and once the appropriate profile is installed, betas will be available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences.

macOS Ventura introduces Stage Manager, a new feature that lets Mac users focus on a task while keeping other apps at the ready for easy swapping between tasks. The update adds Continuity Camera, which is designed to let you use the iPhone as a webcam for your Mac. It supports Center Stage, Desk View (for showing off your desk), and Studio Light.

Handoff is now available for FaceTime so you can transfer calls between iPhone, iPad, and Mac at will, and Messages supports features for marking an iMessage as unread, unsending an iMessage, and marking as unread. SharePlay also now works in the Messages app.

The Mail app supports scheduling and undoing emails for up to 10 seconds after they're sent, and there are now Weather and Clock apps that are available on the Mac. System Preferences has been renamed System Settings, and it features an iOS-like design.

Safari supports Shared Tab Groups and Apple is working on Passkeys, a next-generation credential that replaces the password. There are updates to Spotlight, Photo Library has new features, and Metal 3 is included in macOS Ventura for better graphics in games.

The third beta of macOS Ventura reintroduces trackpad gesture videos in the macOS settings app. You can see the videos under the "Trackpad" section, and it demos options like tap to click, secondary click, and more.

trackpad-gestures-macos-ventura.jpg

For everything new in macOS Ventura, we have a dedicated roundup that goes through all of the features. macOS Ventura is limited to developers at the current time, but Apple plans to make a public beta available in July.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of macOS 13 Ventura to Developers

Last edited:
Reactions: Funny Apple Man

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hoping some of the Safari oddities is fixed beta 2. I had one kernel incident with Safari, after opening and closing some apps and then running a Netflix stream with in Safari (documented). Not repeatable.

Not available OTA yet.

Last edited:

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
These betas of Ventura have shown to be very stable, at least in the Mac I have been using to test it.
What has been your experience with these?
Same here. Have upgraded my productive install because Apple stopped offering target selection when downloading through software update and luckily I did not regret it. In fact, I am glad this happened because Ventura is running so much better than Monterey at least for me. Performance is better and it's a lot more stable.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
MacOS 13 dev beta 3
  • Safari Version 16.0 (18614.1.19.1.5)
  • System System Firmware Version: 8419.0.113.0.1 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.0.0: Tue Jun 28 20:48:02 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.0.134.131.2~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64
MacOS 13 dev beta 2
  • Safari Version 16.0 (18614.1.16.11.3)
  • System Firmware Version: 8419.0.79.0.2 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.0.0: Thu Jun 16 20:33:02 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.0.92.121.3~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64

Reactions: nortonandreev

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Is it just me or did that update install SUPER fast compared to other delta updates? M1 Pro MBP if that changes anything..
I thought the same. Took something like 5 mins on my M1 MBP.

Reactions: JonoH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.